Good modeler for home use?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Jack Dotson, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Jack Dotson

Jack Dotson Supporting Member

I recently purchased a small Yamaha stage pass PA. At the moment the only thing I use it for is vocals. I'm just a home noodler, so it's just used so I can sing and be heard over my guitars.

Anyhow, I was surprised at just how good this little PA sounds and starting thinking I should put a modeler in front of it just to see how it turns out so I'm looking for some suggestions. I would like to stay under $500, but could go over a little if necessary.

Thanks.

2. shaneygoo

shaneygoo Member

3. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

Boss GT-10,
    VOX ToneLab

4. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

honestly, got my hands on an adrenalinn, and i'm fairly impressed. sounds pretty decent, and supposedly is designed for PA use. small footprint too.

5. Jack Dotson

Jack Dotson Supporting Member

I've never heard of these, but went to the website and they look very interesting. Built in drum machine on each pre-set is a really cool feature.

Anyone have experience with these? How do they compare to the Line-6, Boss, Vox, etc. sound wise?

6. scott58

scott58 Member

7. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Member

I recently picked up an older Tonelab desktop modeler. They have become very inexpensive due to the popularity of the newer LE floor unit. Actually, even the LE can be had for well under $300 used.

In any event, the Tonelab units really shine for tones ranging from semi-distorted to classic metal. I think it's passable for modern metal, but it needs some tweaking. Squeaky clean Fender sounds are also not a great strength.

I had some fun with mine by swapping out the stock tube and adjusting the trim pot on the bottom of the unit. This is just as easily done with the SE but much harder to do with the LE.

Sorry I haven't tried an Adrenalinn.... Aren't they up to version III or IV now?

-Ben

8. Kalik

Kalik Member

Vox Tonelab, I have one and absolutely dig it.

9. phusana

phusana Member

I'm an Adrenalinn user and think it's great tool. It has been under the radar, coming from a small company compared to the other modelers out there. There is a lot of functionality in that little box The amp models, multi-effects and drums all sound great and all are very usable. If you are into midi at all for recording or live set up, you can sync all of your time based effects to your clock (delay, tremolo...). When new Adrenalinn models are released, upgrades have been cheap and easy.

There is also a very inexpensive software based editor by Soundtower which makes editing and saving patches a snap.

10. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

I find that inflatable models can be stored at home easily, but are also good for travel.

11. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

i've not yet dug into it deep, but i've got to lend out my gear to a friend as i play rythym guitar and he goes lead behind me, and i've messed with teh .1/8th. Uh... yeah, it sounds just as good as my DD5, with the addition of setting BPM/tone adjustment on the 'amp' and drive/stuff, the models are really usable. i'm really digging it.

12. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

2nd.

13. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

14. peridot1

peridot1 Member

I use amp modelers quite a bit. I think the Tonelab does this best compared to the multi's like Boss or Pod. I use sansamp character series pedals, which is analog modeling, and stack them with damage control pedals.

First time I've heard of the Adrenalinn. That might be worth while.

15. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I have a desktop tonelab for late night scratch tracks and such. It's pretty cool. I like the fact that it's super easy to navigate. It has knobs and very easy effects parameters. All the tones leave somthing to be desired compared to my real amps, but it is what it is. Got it for $140.00 here on TGP.

16. roomservice

roomservice Member

It depends what kind of tones / depth you want to go into but I'd go with whichever of the following options suit your tastes (I've had all 4 but that counts for nothing lol!!!)

1. Boss GT-8 = great for cleans, smooth OD's and a multitude of fx and tweakability - now superseeded by the GT10 so you should pick one of these up for £160 or less

2. PODxt Bean - Decent cleans, great for Hi Gain stuff, not as hard to work out as the GT-8 - - once again, one model back from current and I picked one up on eBay for £100

3. Behringer V-Amp - it's ok for what it is - an imitation POD - some decent things in there but I never felt comfortable with it

4. Boss DR 880 - Drum machine AND a stripped down GT-6 and GT-6B under the hood. I got it for the drums and bass when I had the GT-8 and was suprised to find that the GT-6 was definately mor ethan usable.

I've also played extensively on my mate's VOXLE and I like that too - nice and warm and fairly easy to dial in your sound.

Have fun

17. socalscott

socalscott Member

Tech21 TRI-A.C..(used $115) It has 3 programmable channels/switches that any of 3 amp types can be used. Different EQ for each channel too. No effects. Better tone than digital.
    Dial in like an amp(knobs) and push twice to save on any of the 3 foot switches. Super long 9v batt. life.
    The Character series is the latest models. Not programmable.