Good Moring Gear Page!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Troser, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Troser

Troser Member

Brother Firefingers here (Tim in Vancouver, Wa.); my good buddies Jason Wallace and Steve Esnard say this is the place to be, so after years of online abstinence, I've decided to participate again.

I'm 43, into mostly the good old stuff, centered around classic metal and hard rock, anything groovy, funky, or fun. Heck, the old "pop" stuff was good music; what happed with today's "pop" music?

I've played bass for 25 years, and can tear it up well...My strongest influence was Geddy Lee, and even after all these years I still love playing the classic Rush stuff. Rudy Sarzo was a strong early influence as well... I've got my own style after all these years, but if you know those guys, you'd hear the influence.

I've played guitar for maybe 10 years. I'm like a trained chimp on guitar; I can play pretty well and nail stuff once I've taught myself, even some pretty difficult stuff, but it's not as natural to me as bass is... I can hear a song, and pretty much nail it on bass. I've got a powerful right hand, though, and can throw down some hard, fast muted chops... Dave Mustaine, Marty Freedman, and Randy Rhoads are probably my faves. A good vibrato, strong hammer-on/pull-off, slides, and bends, but not a fast, strong lead player... I'm definately melodic, and can get some good tone out of my stuff, but I'm not a natural on lead... maybe with more play time.

I bought a drum kit a few years back so that people could come and jam with me without bringing their kits... you can't have drums around and not "mess" with them, though. I was a cripple behind the kit for a few months, but then it began to come more naturally. I've played now for maybe two years, but have pretty good independence, and can play most music you might hear... about 90% is pretty basic once you learn the basics; that last five or ten percent seperates the greats from the also-rans... I'm not "a great" yet... but drums definately come naturally to me.

Spent some time building "music rooms" over the years, and have a nice, sound-proofed jam room with a little stage, live floor, and adjacent recording/entertainment room. Not perfect, not complete, but I can play at concert levels with almost no sound escaping, and it's a fun, "clubby" type of space. 14" thick triple walls, double drywall on each, insulation in each, then egg-crate/studio foam, then heavy velvet curtains. Traps the sound well.

I have a semi-defunct original rock band, and we've got about 15 originals that I think are good (thank God this is a subjective review!). The usual drama with "our guitarist", and not as regular as it used to be. I played rythym in a Megadeth/Metallica tribute called Creeping 'DETH, and we tore that up pretty well while we had it together. I still love jamming to the Megadeth classics and attempting to nail Dave's vocals... not bad, considering.

Five kids, four little, one grown, great wife that puts up with all my BS and has for some time now. Keeping her up with loud music is pretty tame compared to the wrath I incurred in the "old days", if you get my drift.

So, "Hello" to everyone; some of you I recognize, like Dr. Tweedbucket; man, you still around? :) Some I'm sure I know but don't remember (getting old). Others, nice to meet you in advance. I had the pleasure of meeting some of you at the "Ampfest" in Beaverton, at the pizza place? Sorry, but I don't recall all your names...

Anyhow, greetings and best wishes to all! :RoCkIn

2. Ken I

Ken I Silver Supporting Member

Welcome aboard!

3. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

Welcome to the Gear Page!

4. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

Greetings Tim,

Welcome to The Gear Page!

5. KCWM