Good MP3 player/ipod alternative

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Phats, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Phats

Phats Senior Member

I'd had my 5th gen iPod video for many years now and I've just about reached the 80GB capacity.

I'd like to get a new player that is at least double the current capacity. I don't need a screen for watching videos - it would be used solely for music.

Portability isn't of too much concern as I usually use my iPod in my truck, or at home, so it doesn't need to be ultra slim/light.

I'd probably buy something used as I don't want to drop a bunch of money on an MP3 player.

2. mge80

mge80 Member

Interested to see what pops up here, as my iPod Classic (160gb, although only half full) recently bit the dust. Since Apple no longer does the classics anymore, I'm not sure where to turn.

I do need portability, as mine is used almost exclusively while riding the tractor out here in the sticks. It's only for music, and all the music currently resides on iTunes (including all the various CDs that I've ripped, either myself or from the Amazon "AutoRip" deal they do when you buy CDs there).

I honestly wonder what other options I have? For now, I think I've twisted #1 daughter's arm to send me her 120gb iPod Classic that she no longer uses in favor of her 128gb iPhone. But, like all of them, sooner or later the hard drive will fail and I'm back to the "now what?".

The wife just bought a 128gb card for her Galaxy S5, but mainly to put movies on to watch while she's supposed to be working. I guess I can see how that all works out and maybe go that route and use my phone as a music player. I just wonder if it will play nice with iTunes? I'm too old to learn ANY new tricks....:thud

3. Phats

Phats Senior Member

I have a 60gb card for my S5, I probably should have gotten a 128gb.