• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Good new production 5Y3 tube for 5e3 Tweed Deluxe

MrGibson

The TAD tube is in fact a NOS Russian 5C4M (5Ц4M). It has 4 pins, and is not a true 5y3. The 5C4M runs higher voltage. If you want more headroom, a cleaner amp - go for it.

I have tried it, but swapped right back to my Sovtek. Now I'm waiting for some real, old 5Y3 GTs that I bought on ebay. RCA blackplates and Sylvanias......Looking forward to try them out after all the hype. Other than that I'm actually quite pleased with the Sovtek in my 57 Deluxe. Decent headroom. I like the idea of changing rectifier depending on the headroom required.

wyatt

The TAD tube is in fact a NOS Russian 5C4M (5Ц4M). It has 4 pins, and is not a true 5y3. The 5C4M runs higher voltage. If you want more headroom, a cleaner amp - go for it.

I have tried it, but swapped right back to my Sovtek. Now I'm waiting for some real, old 5Y3 GTs that I bought on ebay. RCA blackplates and Sylvanias......Looking forward to try them out after all the hype. Other than that I'm actually quite pleased with the Sovtek in my 57 Deluxe. Decent headroom. I like the idea of changing rectifier depending on the headroom required.
With that change in B+, the cathode bias range is often thrown off. Most of the DIY'er's using the '50s schematic and a Sovtek 5Y3 find their tubes dissipating 120% or so at idle. It's just something to watch out for. If the amp is set up for the Sovtek, it may runcold with a NOS, or run hot wit the Sovtek if set up of a real 5Y3. While cathode bias is forgiving, it;s not expecting a voltage change on the plates of 30 to 50VDC.

MrGibson

With that change in B+, the cathode bias range is often thrown off. Most of the DIY'er's using the '50s schematic and a Sovtek 5Y3 find their tubes dissipating 120% or so at idle. It's just something to watch out for. If the amp is set up for the Sovtek, it may runcold with a NOS, or run hot wit the Sovtek if set up of a real 5Y3. While cathode bias is forgiving, it;s not expecting a voltage change on the plates of 30 to 50VDC.
Thanks, so how do I make the cathode bias expect an RCA 5y3 GT, going from the Sovtek?

Hulakatt

Has done terrible things for a klondike bar
Gold Supporting Member
Now I feel kinda bad, my amp tech gave me a whole bunch of different rectifier tubes to try out in my amps for about $10. 3 different types for my jtm50 to run it a different voltages and a handful of 5y3gt's

Emiel

Interesting thoughts gents! I am too looking for NOS 5Y3's but they seem quite rare here. The JJ looks like a nice alternative though.

Now I feel kinda bad, my amp tech gave me a whole bunch of different rectifier tubes to try out in my amps for about $10. 3 different types for my jtm50 to run it a different voltages and a handful of 5y3gt's
You can them always send them to me... ;)

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
NOS are pretty cheap for 5Y3. Rare where?

You can order from almost anyone listed in the sticky at the top of this forum.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Yup, they were put in everything from radios to record players to PAs to guitar amps, there's a million of them out there. Since they last pretty well, I'm not sure I'd even hold out for NOS-some cheap pulls from another piece of gear would be worth trying!

thosk

Gold Supporting Member
The JJ has the correct voltage drop, same as NOS. The Sovtek "5Y3" in my 5E3 ran 25 volts hotter than an NOS.
If your Cathode resistor is stock value(250 ohms, IIRC), or close to that, you shouldn't have to do anything except plug it in.

DaveKS

Yup, they were put in everything from radios to record players to PAs to guitar amps, there's a million of them out there. Since they last pretty well, I'm not sure I'd even hold out for NOS-some cheap pulls from another piece of gear would be worth trying!
Yep, quick search on eBay, 2nd hit, 2 brand new in box, tested GE currently about $12.

haslar

I had a JJ 5Y3 in my 5E3 clone, and replaced it with a NOS NIB RCA 5Y3.
I can't hear any difference, for the life of me.

Emiel

I want one because the plate voltages are a bit high in my Tweed Deluxe and a NOS 5Y3 should help lower those a bit...

Found a couple!

DaveKS

I had a JJ 5Y3 in my 5E3 clone, and replaced it with a NOS NIB RCA 5Y3.
I can't hear any difference, for the life of me.
Recto tubes aren't about tone but durability. Pay $3-4 more for a NOS that probably outlive 3 of the JJ.

Top Bottom