Good nut lubricant?

pete12string

Silver Supporting Member
I was wondering if either one of these is a good alternative to Big Bends Nut Sauce or D'Addario Planet Waves Lubrikit Friction Remover:
Pinecar P355 Dry White Lubricant, .125 oz
Labelle Plastic Compatible Grease w/ PTFE

I don't want to harm the nut or the finish on any of my guitars! Just that the price for the Nut Sauce or the Lubrikit seem a bit much for the amount you get. But if that's the safe way to go, then so be it...

Thanks for your expert help! :D

Torren61

Okay, seriously, if you simply MUST lubricate your guitar nut, use pencil lead. Just take your pencil, sharpen it and draw down the nut slot. Graphite is a great lubricator and it won't hurt anything. All that "nut sauce" and crap just covers up the real problem which is a poorly cut nut. You probably have a Gibson, don't you?

Barnzy

Silver Supporting Member
I like Big Bends for the applicator as much as the lubricant because you can just inject a tiny dab in each nut slot with no mess. And the supply in one applicator should last an awefully long time...I'm in my second year with mine. I just use it once at string change and go until the next string change. Maybe your needs are greater than most though....

eSS eSS

Someone told me that those are carcinogens so are it is better to use a specific lubricant...though what isn't that is chemically based?

mbetter

Someone told me that those are carcinogens so are it is better to use a specific lubricant...though what isn't that is chemically based?
It's a drop of goop on the nut of your guitar, just try not to eat it.

Maybe when we transcend to beings of pure energy, we can interact with things that aren't chemically based, but until then you're not going to have much luck.

pete12string

Silver Supporting Member
Okay, seriously, if you simply MUST lubricate your guitar nut, use pencil lead. Just take your pencil, sharpen it and draw down the nut slot. Graphite is a great lubricator and it won't hurt anything. All that "nut sauce" and crap just covers up the real problem which is a poorly cut nut. You probably have a Gibson, don't you?
Yeah, the problems are with my ES 335 and the SG. My luthier did whatever he did with the nuts on both of them and they are better than they were but still having some tuning issues. :)

All my Fenders are fine...

great-case.com

a.k.a. "Mitch"
... My luthier did whatever he did with the nuts on both of them and ...
Known your Luthier. Know what he is doing. Learn... That said, graphite comes in many formats. If you don't mind the blackening effect, go with a #2 pencil, but a slightly better approach would be to shop for graphite in white powdered form... sorry I wish I could remember the brand and/or product name but it's on the shelf at Lowe's.

boyce89976

Gold Supporting Member
^that might be the worst idea I've ever seen... Surely that's not meant to be serious!

Even with a properly cut nut, you could have minor binding. Just get one of the over the counter nut lubricants and be done with it. The applicator is almost as important as the lubricant, and a little goes a long way.

1radicalron

Pencil works great in Acoustic Guitars, and some Guitars without a Tremolo. If you got a Strat with Tremolo, And like to wiggle it = Better Get Nut Sauce!

Last edited:

Trending Topics