1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

good octave down distortion?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rorschah, Dec 19, 2005.

1. rorschah

rorschah Member

Research has uncovered: a lot of my favorite destroyed amp sounds (Neil Young on Tonight's the Night, Buzz of The Melvins) involves some kind of octave divider or octave down thing. Neil Young used, somebody on TGP told me, a Mutron Octave Divider; Buzz used an MXR Blue Box - described as an octave-down overdrive.

What out there does that right now?

-thi

2. Antero

Antero Member

What about a proper octave-down pedal coupled with a separate fuzz?

3. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Check out Rastop's Super Divider. www.rastopdesigns.com

I have a prototype of this pedal, it is sonic bedlam.

4. Franklin

Franklin Member

5. msp

msp Member

fck yeah

the foxrox octron is bad ass

couple it with a decent slow/moderate speed phaser and dirt

holy hell, such a great sounding pedal (nails that fender blender sound in SP siamese dream album)

the octave down is soooooooooooooo rich and full and the octave up is perfect and verry tweekable with the internal trim pots

highly highly recomend it

i was looking for a good octave down for 5 years i have tried the whammy, ps-5 boss, eh microsynth, and eh pog

while the eh pog does some things very well (good pedal but not a keeper for me)

the octron is the BEST......the best low end i have ever heard/played....and the upper octavia is so smooth, cuts through the mix verry well and preaty predictable (even if you fck up and hit a few strings at the same time....if it has a problem tracking you....and it shouldn't if you play cleanly and have some experience with pitch shifter/whammy/harmanizer type pedals......it sounds verry musical even when its not shure what you are playing........wich is good because when its not shure then either you are not feeding it enough volume or you are playing sloppy and it can smooth things out for you in a good way)

try one

6. muddy

muddy Member

ditto on the octron!!! the sub-octave is gi-NORMOUS!!!

ml

7. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Just to mention it...

I first bought the Boss OC-2 (it has two different octave down
    sounds, if I remember right one and two octave down) and to be honest, it sounds great and the "tracking" (the quickness with which the octave sounds come...some of the not-so-good ones there is a noticeable delay) to my ears anyway sounds great. It's right there with you. Sounds full and rich.

They also have come out with an OC-3 that I know nothing about.

Personally, I wanted an octave up more than down, but I found out I liked the octave down thing, it makes you play a little differently...jazzier in a way.

But because I was also interested in octave up, I bought the Foxrox Captain Coconuts 2 (which has octave up, fuzz, and vibe all built into one unit). The octave up on that was the best I've ever played. But the three in one wasn't for me, so I ended up selling it and buying an Octron (Foxrox also).

I haven't played enough with it. There are TONS of variations because of the flexibility designed in. It has the original sound, an octave up and an octave down. You can mix and match how much of each, and I can't honestly compare it with the octave up on the CC2, because the CC2 was a simple (two knob if I remember right) deal and impossible to get a bad sound out of, whereas this one has so much flexibility I haven't spent enough time with it yet to honestly evaluate. I have played some with it, and it is staying on my pedalboard...I spent some time the other night with it, and was constantly discovering new things about it.

I also have heard some of the inexpensive Danelctro could be interesting to try.

Also the Behringer copies (do they make an octave one yet?).

Point is, you can spend a LOT of money and get more options, but it seems like from what you are saying you are interested in octave downs...I think you ought to try out a Boss OC-2 (read up on the OC-3 also) and check them out, IF they fit the bill, they are a much less expensive way to go I think.

8. rorschah

rorschah Member

OOoh, lotta love for the Foxrox. Never heard of it before.

Any opinion on Octron vs. Mutron Octave?

9. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

My opinion, from what you wrote, you really ought to at least audition an OC-2 or OC-3 (Boss) and then try the others. If you like it for what you want to do, you will get off pretty inexpensively in comparison.

Just a suggestion.

10. muddy

muddy Member

coupla things workin' in your favor here; 1st, the effects (up and down) & dry sig are ALL on seperate potz. 2nd, the effects each have an internal trimmer; the upper has a drive amount, so you can get pretty close to cleaning up the dirt on the octave, and the sub's trimmer widens or slims it's fatness depending on which way you turn it... the dry pot is key, though. it really lets you better incorporate other fuzzes & drives, as well as increasing articulation. kool box! :cool:

ml

11. little cyress

little cyress Member

If tracking yodeling is a good thing on the lower notes, the old Maestro or Blue Box come to mind. The Maestro actually works better with a fuzz because the suboctave is clean and it doesn't interfere as much with the Fuzz. it sound so huge. When I use the EH Multiplexer, I switch to Bass Mode, it sound way better on that mode when used with FUZZ...