Good OD/Dist. pedals for low bedroom volume use?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Craftmatic, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Member

Seems all dirt pedals are purported to give up the goods when you amp's at the edge of breakup. But has anyone designed a pedal that sounds good and full even at low volume? I like to woodshed in the basement when the family's home upstairs without blowing them out of the house. If you look at my sig you'll see what I have. Oh, and an amplike (as usual) characteristic is desired.

2. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

Hi there, you have some very, very nice gear there! But I don't think the problem is the pedals. I think the problem is the amps; they are all tube amps.

Maybe a solid state amp, or a 5 watt JSX might be what you need to get the bedroom level sound you need. Check this sample of someone using the VOX Satchurator with a JSX Mini-colossal, pretty good if you ask me... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiFJNSb9FUk

3. Super Locrian

Super Locrian Member

The Barber Small Fry does the trick for me. Incredible low to medium gain overdrive sounds at bedroom levels. Having several OD voicings to choose from, as well as controlling the amount of compression is very helpful for dialing in a good sound, especially at low volume.

4. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Member

Looks like a very interesting pedal. They're sold out at ProGuitarshop. Does that mean they're discontinued? It usually does with regard to Lovepedals (then again, Sean's business model is unlike any other).

5. ungarn

ungarn Member

So far my Lovekraft Chupacabra is my favorite drive/distortion/fuzz for taming a tube amp to bedroom levels...of course it sounds even better CRANKED!!!

6. afterburner

afterburner Supporting Member

Fulltone GT-500... enough gain to get those juicy overdriven tones when the amp is not cooking at high volumes. I like it a lot and many others here have said it's amp-like.

also works well when the amp is being pushed and starting to break up.

edit: would also add MI audio Crunch Box in as a suggestion!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  7. FUSER

FUSER Member

Tech 21 Sans Amp Gt-2 (like its amp version) sounds great at low low volumes.

I am guessing other tech 21 drive pedals may be same.

8. Super Locrian

Super Locrian Member

No, and I think you can also buy them direct from Barber.

9. Felixun1

Felixun1 Supporting Member

Hey - I too am limited to playing at home at very low volumes. I really like two pedals for this - my Keeley modded BD-2 for low gain, which has a very tube amp - like quality to it, and my MI audio crunchbox for some more marshally type stuff. The crunchbox actually sounds much better at low volumes than it does cranked up, IMHO. I play a strat into a 5 watt tube amp.

10. ProGuitarShop

ProGuitarShop Member

Definitely not discontinued. We have just sold out. I bet Tonefactor has them in stock though. Great pedal.

11. imissmj

imissmj Member

The Tim pedal. If you want saturation, distortion, etc then stack two pedals together which will give you more sustain.