Good Off the shelf acoustic strings...non coated

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by jake5, Feb 3, 2012.

1. jake5

jake5 Supporting Member

Looking for some input here.

I've been using Elixir's, but am really just getting tired of the way they feel lately.

A buddy of mine had some Newtone Masterclass strings along w/ some John Pearse strings on his acoustics...both of which I plan to try out.

But I live in a town w/ no nice music stores...so what is a good off the shelf phos / bronze set that will be at any music store?

Thanks,
    Jake

2. RockinB23

RockinB23 Member

I like both Martin SPs and Martin Marquis strings.

3. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

D'Addarios J phosphor bronze

4. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

Daddario EJ16 (light) or EJ17 (Mediums). I just ordered some EJ17s for under $4 a pack (in a two pack) I've used them almost exclusively for over a decade. An inexpensive, readily available, consistent phosphor bronze string you can afford to change 4 times for the same price as some more expensive "better" strings.

5. theaxedoctor

theaxedoctor Member

I've been using D'addario phosphor bronze or martin sp phosphor bronze. They're pretty similar and sound great. I don't like the way elixirs feel either, especially when bending strings.

6. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

7. Smoky

Smoky Member

D'addario 13-56 phosphor bronze

8. BlueGuy

BlueGuy Member

Daddario EJ16s. I get from Strings and Beyond.

9. swamplion

swamplion Member

If I don't put John Pearse or elixir's on, I use D'addario or SIT. they seem like they're in a lot of stores.

10. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I love Pearse strings. I use 80/20s; 13s for my Collings CJ, 12s on my smaller bodied guitars. Pearse strings also have a huge fan base -- check out the Acoustic Guitar Forum and search for strings there. They are a perennial favorite for uncoated strings. DR strings, especially the Sunbeams, are another extremely popular string. They have a unique sound, but I prefer 80/20s.

That being said -- strings are cheap (comparatively speaking) and everyone has different ears, fingers, and guitars, so the best thing to do is just try as many kinds as you can.

11. s2y

s2y Member

I liked Martin's phosphor bronze. I also don't like the feel of the coated strings. I just like changing strings half as often a little more. :drink

12. WrapAround

WrapAround Member

I seem to come back to Martin SP regardless of what I try.

13. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

I agree, and add, that if you are not a smoker, and wash your heads frequently like me, the EJ series last forever. I play an hour or two every day on an acoustic, and the last time I changed EJ16's was last spring.

14. too many hobbie

too many hobbie Member

I've been playing EXP16's on my Breedlove and I like them a lot. They are coated however. Just a good sounding PB string.

15. Stubee

Stubee Member

If you want uncoated

They are great strings, I've used them forever. Just started trying out some of their coated strings for stage use/guitars I don't want to change strings on that often but the regular EJs are as good as they get in my world.

YMMV.

16. Crocker

Crocker Member

D'Addario EJ16 (lights), I buy them in bulk spools of 25 sets. I also get some mediums and heavies in individual sets for down tuning.

17. Jeff56

Jeff56 Member

D'Addario PB sound good on what ever guitar I put them on and you can pick them up pretty cheap online.

18. Scooter

Scooter Member

Not really a response to the OPs question, but I've been using coated strings (Elixers, D'Addario) for the past year or so, having convinced myself that it was worth it to have longer string life. I liked them okay. This morning I put on a set of Martin SPs and it's like someone simultaneously removed the cotton from my ears and took the blanket off my guitar. No more coated strings for me, nope. Wow.

19. sublimeaudio

sublimeaudio Silver Supporting Member

I've been using John Pearse strings for a while now and am very happy with them. They are not too much more expensive than some of the more common brands if you buy them online. At the music stores they tend to be a lot more expensive.

20. SideBMusic

SideBMusic Supporting Member

Me2