Good P-90 "Noiseless?"

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by al carmichael, Nov 20, 2005.

1. al carmichael

al carmichael Member

I am looking for a noiseless P-90. My criteria is to find one that resembles a vintage P-90 as close as possible--one that will fit in an existing rout without modification. I do NOT want a hot or high output version that sacrifices the beautiful nature of the stock pickup. The only one I've ever heard was the Gibson P-100 and that was the most lifeless pickup I've ever heard.

So far, I've seen that Dimarzio makes a couple and Bill Lawrence also makes some kind of noiseless P-90.

If anyone has experience with this quest, please chime in! There's nothing more valuable to me that the experience of others who have gone down this road. Due to the environments I play in, the noiseless version is needed, otherwise I;d probably get a Lollar and be done with it.

2. rooster

rooster Member

I use the Bill Lawrence L-495's, which are now redesigned as the L-610's with better cosmetics. I absolutely love them. They are very sensitive to string height, but when you nail that perfect sweet spot and have the poles conforming to the arch of the strings, they sound fantastic. I think they sound like my old 63 special p/u's, but with a bit more balls and a tiny bit more clarity. I'd recommend them to anyone who has a good guitar, for pretty much any style of music. But, that's only my opinion. There are many good manufacturers out there, but these BL pickups, to MY ears, blow the doors off the major manufacturers, and the price is amazing as well. The delivery time is about 6 weeks or so, since they build in lots and are a small family company, but I'm so very happy with them.

rooster.

3. al carmichael

al carmichael Member

Rooster--will the Bill lawrence fit in an existing P-90 rout? If so, I am going to try one.

4. rooster

rooster Member

Well, I would call Becky at Bill Lawrence and ask her. Their pickups DO fit minibucker routes, but they mount on rings like HB's do. As far as whether they fit stock P90 routes, you must ask her to be sure. I would prepare for the call by measuring out your pickup routes exactly, and, if necessary, sketching them on the computer, telling her you're e-mailing it, and have her evaluate it from there. She's very honest, and, as far as I know, has never BS'd anyone just to make an additional sale -- they sell every pickup they make.

rooster.

5. rooster

rooster Member

Oh, and most important -- make sure you deal with the REAL Bill Lawrence; their website is at billlawrence.com. There is another company called Bill Lawrence USA that is one of his old business partners who took the name that puts out a less-than-stellar product.

rooster.

6. al carmichael

al carmichael Member

Thanks rooster! I will definitely call Becky. The real Bill Lawrence company is a class outfit--I agree.

7. Roe

Roe Member

fralin p92

8. A440

A440 Supporting Member

the p-92 is actually a humbucker footprint and won't fit

the lawrence stuff is great bang for buck. I've had 2 of his single coil setups. fyi, his L-500 also fits in a P90 route :)