Good P90 guitar $500-800?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Stratoben127, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Stratoben127

Stratoben127 Member

Just wanna see what's out there. I would prefer it to have a set neck. Used is fine as well. I like the 50's/60's tribute Les Paul because I love a nice goldtop R6 and that's close to that look but I just got a Les Paul and I wanna know what else there is out there.

2. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I got a great SG Classic for $650 used.

3. Wally1

Wally1 Member

PRS SE One Korina. Smokin' guitar for the money.

4. Stratoben127

Stratoben127 Member

I like the classic but the SE One is only one pickup which isn't a huge problem but it has no tone control- that is.

5. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor Supporting Member

Here's your answer. Lightweight, great tones, plays like butter, mostly flawless (especially for a Gibson), USA made and easily found for ~~ $650 to $700 used.

6. Drew68

Drew68 Supporting Member

Les Paul Jr and I'll tell you why: The light, flat-top all-mahogany body seems to match very well with the P-90 pickup, eliminating the bright, top edge that a carved maple top produces while retaining the thick, midrange that is considered by many the classic P-90 tone. Furthermore, IMHO, a wraptail bridge on a flat-top mahogany guitar is an essential component of this classic tone.

Again, IMHO, while a carved maple top Les Paul is the perfect vehicle for humbuckers, a Les Paul Jr is the perfect vehicle for a P-90. I just love my Jr --almost as much as I love my R8! And the Junior can be found well within your price range (as was mine).

[​IMG]

7. cowboytim

cowboytim Member

SOMETHING DIFFERENT!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg0dYvrzxdE&feature=BFa&list=PL5C937B05150C0007&lf=results_main

I fixed up one of these Custom Deluxe 2 Tele.....Hard to find on the rack but if you can find a nice heavy Agathis Body, These Teles rock for $249.00.
    I Upgrade to WCR P-90s, pots and Caps for $350.00 and you've got one unique Guitar that's Very versatile guitar............Sounds OK Stock too.
    I cut a Bone nut for mine and layed in Abilony fret markers. I also but a tru oil finish on the neck......It's one of my top guitars now. Altogether $650.00 maybe tops.

8. Stratoben127

Stratoben127 Member

I like the idea of a classic and the junior. The tele also seems cool even though I would prefer a set neck but I want a tele too. Maybe one of those new SG juniors or a
    Les Paul Special.

9. natmiss

natmiss Member

Check out the Reverend guitars

10. Stratoben127

Stratoben127 Member

That's what I was thinking. Do you own any?

11. FuzzGazer

FuzzGazer Member

Fender JA90, mine is an amazing sounding and playing guitar:

[​IMG]

12. Stratoben127

Stratoben127 Member

Set neck right? I remember playing one of these and liking it. It also covers my gas for a P90 guitar, semi-hollow and a Tele.

13. FuzzGazer

FuzzGazer Member

Yep, set neck with a contoured heel.

I also recommend a Gibson 60's Tribute GT, I have one and I love it. It is right at the top of your $ range though.

14. slugworth

slugworth Supporting Member

Reverend has a lot of options with one, two, or three P90s. And every Reverend I've played has been fantastic.

I have a Reverend Warhawk II 390. Love it. They regularly sell used for below $500. It was great out of the box, but I swapped the pickups for Lollars, added a locking bridge and bigger knobs, and now it's unstoppable.

Among the 3-P90 offerings, If you can spend just a little bit more money you should consider the limited edition Reverend Mantaray 390 that's out now. There are several colors out, but they'll get snatched up. If you want to get a little more stratty than the Warhawk you could keep your eyes open for a Jetstream 390. They're discontinued, but show up used every now and then, and there ought to be one or two dealers out there with some old stock. Ron Asheton sig V is another 390 option.

As you can tell I'm partial to the 3-P90 guitars. But Reverend has a lot of options for 2 P90s, too. First on my list would be the Club King 290 semi-hollow. To my ears they also cover prime Telecaster territory.

15. ManliusGuitar

ManliusGuitar Member

I have a Godin SP90 that is a fantastic and a real monster! I put some hotter P90's in it and it is just a rock machine! Plus, the value is fantastic and it is an instrument made in Canada. Great tone and value!

16. Luke V

Luke V Member

:agree
    I grabbed one to try an amp at GC, hated the amp but loved the guitar. The weight, finish, neck and tone are unbelievable, especially at that price point. I will buy one this year.

17. Jimishrine

Jimishrine Member

That should do the trick. You definitely want a tone control. I typically keep them wide open, but on my SG Classic I run the treble pickup tone on about 7, or it is really shrill.

[​IMG]

18. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Yamaha AEX502. Cheapest guitar at my house right now, nothing cheap about the sound. Thinline, semihollow construction, set neck. One of the best budget guitars IMO.
    MD

19. Stringrazor

Stringrazor Member

PRS SE II Soapbar (w or w/o maple veneer top) - amazing value if you can find one on the used market. I paid $400 for mine new a few years back. Best guitar money I ever spent.

20. cratz2

cratz2 Member

I have a couple P90 guitars, both SG and SG Jr affairs but my local GC has one of these and it's one of the nicest the last couple years. If I had any desire for another P90 guitar or another Tele-ish guitar, it would be at the top of my list.

At a lower price point ($420 or so) one of the new Chinese series Fenders is very similar but with a bolt on neck. Damn nice guitar.