Good PAF clones on $heap. Truetone's?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dupedd, Aug 31, 2006.

1. dupedd

dupedd Member

I have T tops in my 70's LP and lately I've been wanting to try some real good classic PAF style pickups as I've never played any before.
    I hear High Order, Rolph, Tom Holmes, al sorts in the boutiquies.

The JM Rolph 59 pretenders sounded neat.

These Truetone pickups are rumored to be pretty good and for the money sound like a winner maybe. Anyone have any experience with them? Or how about the others mentioned?

http://www.truetonetechnologies.com/humbuckers.html

2. dudeunitx5000

dudeunitx5000 Senior Member

I was expecting this thread to be about Truetone guitars of which I have one. I would never replace its pickup with a humbucker because I really dig the thin hollow tone of the pickup it already has.

3. ShaneV

ShaneV Member

I have a highorder from when Jeff first started winding them a few years ago. If they are still as good today (and I can't see why they wouldn't be) then it's bang for the buck probably cannot be beat. Killer pickup for incredibly cheap.

4. SFW

SFW Member

PAF on the Chaep:

DiMarzio - Virtual PAF (I hear that these soud REALLY good. Ive been meaning to try them out)
    Seymour Duncan - '59s, Ants, Seth Lovers

5. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

PAF clone/tone and cheap are not synonymous-Call Jim Wagner at WCR and describe what you are looking to sound like in what type of guitars-know about what it sounds like accoustically(yes,I mean not plugged in) and be able to speak intelligently about the sound you are looking to get-you can figure around 300$ to get what you're looking for in a set of pickups.That does not include caps or wiring or pots.Good Hunting!

6. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Tom Holmes are KILLER, but not cheap.
    I also really dig the Duncan Antiquities in a LP.
    S>
    j

7. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

Gibson classic 57s ... about $100/pair clean and used ... is that "PAF on the cheap" enough for yuz?

My advice: Follow up behind the guys yanking the stock 57s out of their Gibsons as they chase the latest $400 miracle pickup set.

-K

8. lbw

lbw Member

Lindy Fralin Unbuckers or Jason Lollar Imperials would be a good middle ground compared to the price of a Tom Holmes.

57 Classics aren't that bad either.

9. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Supporting Member

Wolfetone!Call or e-mail Wolfe and tell him what you are looking for.
    He can wind whatever flavor of humbucker you desire.

10. dupedd

dupedd Member

Thanks y'all. a couple of these I have not heard of before, I'll to go checj em out.
    $100 is definately cheap enough. I was thinking in the 100-150 dollar range.

11. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

I was gonna say the same, lol. That sentence is a oxymoron....

Try Wolfe or Wags, like the man said.

12. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

13. Go Cat Go!!

Go Cat Go!! Member

Here's another alternative.

http://vintagevibeguitars.com/pickup_hum.html

I love Pete's pickups. They're great sounding and great quality.

I have the Virtual PAF's too. I like those as well. They're not high output and sound really good clean or with distortion. It's a very versitile pickup.

14. ungarn

ungarn Member

GFS or guitarfetish.com...you want the Vintage '59...great bang for buck...

15. Crunchyriff

Crunchyriff Member

Sometimes YES they are...many times though, you are correct. WCR makes about the only other PAF interation I'd want to try (Darkbursts) besides the Holmes.

I tell you this: Jeff at HighOrder makes incredible sounding pickups, and I don't care how much or how little you spend elsewhere.

They are well-worth a try. I've had many PAF 'clones' both off the shelf and boutique. Jeff nailed the sound I was after in my 335. Absolutely Awesome tones. I've wanted to toy around with others in that guitar just for grins, but the H.O.'s are SO GOOD, why bother?

In other news: the Gibson Classic '57's, namely the OEM units in the 2001 Historics are for the most part VERY nice pickups. By and large there is a consensus over at the LPF that these by and large, for whatever reason, are a real good batch. I had three sets of early 90's 57's that were drab to ho-hum, to not-so-bad. The ones in my '01 R8 just kill. I have no idea if there is any way to identify a particular production run of these or not.

16. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

STOP

The thing these peoples don't understand is that YES, TRUETONE MAKES GREAT PICKUPS-!! . . . . at least that is my experience with a Vintage wound Tele Bridge . . .

only they are priced well below all the other names peeps are throwing around

Read the HC reviews and when the reviewers say that these will someday rival the 'boutiques' they mean it!

if he goes under then look for serious resale

17. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I have listened to the 57 Classics in a variety of Gibson guitars-if we are speaking of a no guesswork scenario,and you are talking about knowing what you are getting and not having to get the units from a store/builder they are not cheap.I cannot speak with confidence about High Order,but I think that a lot of players use WCR because Jim Wagner hangs out here and builds a definitively superior pickup that is consistent and has PAF tone that is better than spending money on other builders concerns IMO.35 years of playing the guitar tells me this.Good Hunting,
    GFM

18. Boogs

Boogs Member

I like the GFS Fat PAFs a lot, as well as their overwound alnico single-coils, and the "Retrotron" pickup I had in a guitar a while ago. Their pups are worth a try in my book - very good quality, sweet price.

19. Crunchyriff

Crunchyriff Member

Well I've got 33 years of playing, (many of it pro), so we may be in the same ballpark. In what I said, I have no quibble with WCR's whatsoever, nor do I have a problem with Jim's prices- and some day soon I'll probably give a few sets of his a spin.

But my ears know what I hear, and I know what I like. HOs are great sounding pickups (at least mine are), and that for a bargain price; and that takes nothing away from Jim's products at all.

You mentioned "guesswork". I don't care how carefully you choose a pickup, there will always be a certain degree of guesswork when matching a pickup to a particular guitar...sometimes what you think will work the best in a certain guitar doesn't quite pan out as you planned (witness the various WCR users who swapped out different WCR combinations before finding the right combination for their particular guitars); but it may sound stellar in another guitar of like kind, just a different piece of wood. The better pickup builders ( Jim at WCR, Jeff at HighOrder, etc) will often wind you a pickup based on a few factors that you communicate to them that can narrow the margin of error pretty good:

Type of sound you are looking for, type of guitar it's going in and its construction; what YOUR particular axe sounds like acoustically (is it dark or bright?, etc); your picking attack; the amp & amount of gain you generally use...just to name a few. For me at least, I've found this approach works much better than buying product X off the shelf, crossing your fingers and hoping for the best. As an example, Jeff and I communicated more than a few times, & he made a few suggestions, before settling on a wind that was basically according to my original specs & needs... the only real leeway I gave him in this was in the amt of turns for each wind- once I thought we were on the same page so to speak, I trusted his judgement. He nailed the tone I was after. I'm sure Jim at WCR can do the same.

As far as the Classic '57's: like I said earlier, the ones installed in the 2001 Historics have been consistently pretty good, unlike the three sets of 90's off-the-shelf '57s I had beforehand. I have no idea as to why, and am not suggesting the current Gibby "aftermkt" '57's will put a smile on your face...

Carry on!

20. gearhosehead

gearhosehead Member

Update: Ben went through a tough stretch for most of the past year but seems to be getting his act together. He made some remarkable pickups with a couple of boo boos during his tough period. He's back to communicating well and the last PAF he sent me was an absolute killer. He's nowhere near back up to full production, but hears to hoping he makes it there!