Good Patch Cables......will I notice?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sixstring531, Feb 1, 2008.

1. sixstring531

sixstring531 Supporting Member

Ok -- I have been playing for nearly 14 years now and am no professional. I am pretty sure I can hold my own in several circles as far as playing goes but like I said, I am no professional.

My question is -- Will I notice a tone difference or is the difference that noticeable if I used nice (like Georges) patch cables?

Let me know. Thanks friends.

2. occy87

occy87 Member

Yes. I saw a huge difference when I changed cables. I was using some basic cheap cables I had for years. When I did a comparison it was like taking cotton out of my ears. :BOUNCE

3. dB

dB Member

Out of curiosity, what brand did you switch to?

4. chandlerjenkins

chandlerjenkins Member

i just upgraded my whole board to george l's and im pretty sure i cried...they're unbelievably quiet...not kidding- when i turned my amp on it stayed completely quiet and i thought i had made a bad cable...turns out the cables were that good...yeah id post on the emporium, i picked a bunch up for cheap...thanks guys!

5. dB

dB Member

I'm looking to move up from George L's (which I've been using for years and have been happy) and am wondering if Lava or Evidence will be that much better.

6. zion

zion Supporting Member

Switched from GL's to Evidence. Is there enough difference to warrant the difference in price? At least to my ears with my rig, YES!

7. justonwo

justonwo Member

I noticed a big difference. But I switched from one extreme (Radio Shack) to the other (Lava ELC). More of the highs come through, so the sound is more sparkly. Low quality cable deadens the tone.

8. rockford

rockford Member

With really good patch cables, you get more of everything. Not just high end,
    it's a more satisfying experience.

9. sixstring531

When you upgrade, sell me your George L's for a nominal fee - or at least give me first dibs please.

Thanks fellas. Thanks for making me ask my wife if I can spend more money on my GAS problem. Oh well, she'll be a Doctor in 4 months so I guess we might as well start spending.

10. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

You betcha!. -Any cable with poor capacatence, lousy ends, even cheap solder can effect response, attack, tonal clarity & nuance.

Preference is also a factor in choosing the right cable. Some cable can result in more bass or less treble. Cable can effect sound completely different from 1 guitar or amp to another. Some players like inexpensive cables, others like hi-end, personally I think its whatever sounds best to your ears rather it be $15 cable or a $115 cable :)

Trials and tribulations of TRY & BUY are usuallly the best way to figure out what you like.

11. gtrshow

gtrshow Member

Not related to patch cables but...

Last night I did a little comparison between my Sommer Spirit instrument cable and a store brand cable (Road Hog) that I had laying around. Both were 15 ft. and I plugged straight into the amp. There's a definite difference but, as -Analog- said above, it comes down to a matter of preference. The Sommer was noticeably clearer and better balanced, almost hi-fi sounding. The Road Hog rolled off the highs, accentuated the mids and actually overdrove the amp to a greater degree at the same guitar and amp settings. A less clinical tone, but sometimes that's just the mojo you're after.

12. Fender66

Fender66 Member

I too just finished wiring up my newly built board last night with GL .155 cables. With all the pedals, bypass loops, etc, I have about 30 feet of cable and 36 right angles. Took me 2 nights to finish just the wiring. When I first plugged it in, it was silent. I had 3 connections that were bad. After finding and fixing those, it was heaven. Sound was clear and so much better than the cables I had from GC. I don't deserve anything this good......But I'm not giving it up either. I love it!

Peace,

13. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

I went from George l's to Lava Canare. Could tell the difference immediately. I liked the George l's, I love the Lava cable.

14. sixstring531

POON is Comanche Indian right? :)

15. Soothsayer

Why, yes it is!:dude

16. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

Sommer is great stuff, such a great quality wire.!
    I just repatched my board with some of their more expensive cable. The spirit and spirit XXL is very flat its not a boost or reduction in tone/output, very true & acurate sounding wire.

Certain cable can add or remove output strength and accentuate specific eq ranges just from how its wound. Road hog is good cable too :) Especially if your a marshall fan.

17. Lonely Raven

Lonely Raven Member

Good thread!

My Dad scored me a bunch of Monster cable high end 10' patch cords. I think it was literally 1 from each of their lines (e.g. Acoustic, Rock, Jazz, and some others I forgot). I think one of them was even over $200 for a 10' patch!

Each sounded different, but I really wouldn't jump up and down and say one blew all the others away. It was a neat test/experience.

Then I picked up a Canare cable with Neutrik ends, 12' cable for $32 I think it was...absolutely blew all that junk Monster cable away. I was sick thinking how much I could have wasted had I *purchased* the monster cables, and they got killed by a well made, quality cable.

I'm all for quality cables specifically made for guitar.

I'm looking to hit up Lava Cables for something in the $150 range sometime soon. I'm not expecting a huge jump in quality like I did from Monster to Canare, but I'm hoping for more detailed sound. :)

18. Soothsayer

I think you can get five Lava patch cables up to 23" for $49. Havent been on his site recently though.

19. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

My board had a combination of GLs and Mogami+G&H. I got some Evidence Audio Monorail cable and used the GL solderless plugs with it and there was a very audible improvement in the tones, just by swapping the GL cable for Monorail.

20. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

You will notice a difference. Whether or not you'll like the difference is something only you can decide!