1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Good patch chord plugs?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by lemmiwinks, May 20, 2011.

1. lemmiwinks

lemmiwinks Member

I'm in the process of rewiring my board. I'm thinking evidence monorail for the cabling. I haven't decided on the plugs. So many options.

To solder or not to solder?
    And then what type - Neutriks, GL's, Lava, switchcraft, etc...

Any suggestions?

2. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

I like amphenol plugs, they are soldered.

3. Holy Schnikes

Holy Schnikes Member

The Lave mini ELC kit is great if you go solderless. Nice, full, balanced signal and the tiniest plugs I've ever used. Contrary to some reviews, I found them simple to construct, getting the hang of it after a couple tries, haven't failed me yet.

4. Msboy2011

Msboy2011 Member

I dig the skinny plugs..

5. Sikor

Sikor Member

6. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

GLS pancake plugs!

7. lemmiwinks

lemmiwinks Member

Don't the pancakes sometimes block dc plugs or other inputs?

and are the GLS or Switchcraft the ones to get?

8. LavaMan

LavaMan Member

I am partial to G&H.... :D

9. jnepo1

They can, but it actually depends on the orientation of the plugs. I use the GLS pancake plugs on my boards, and most of my pedals are top-mounted jacks. Pedals such as the Blackstone overdrive have the DC power outlet between the jacks, you do have to consider the size power cable end in this instance. Sometimes you have to use a straight plug for the power cable to accommodate the tight space, or other smaller profile power plugs.

[​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  10. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, they can. They are also not the best choice of plugs to go into loopers, with those jacks being so darn close together. How you orient the plugs can help you squeeze those power supply adapters in between nicely. But it can be real inconvenient if you don't use risers for your pedals. Aside from this, they are great for tight boards. I've saved quite a bit of room using these plugs.

11. lemmiwinks

lemmiwinks Member

I`m picking up some evidence monorail. 20 feet. Do i need to get special plugs to fit the smaller gauge or can i use regular switchcraft plugs?

12. teleclem

teleclem Member

are these the ones that come with the soldered kits?

13. jnepo1

You'll be fine w/ Switchcraft or any similar plug.

14. ceedee1954

ceedee1954 Member

If you need smaller plugs,the Switchcraft 380`s work really well, although they`re not the easiest to find.

15. thekonas

thekonas Member

Good timing! I want to pick up some of these and some quality cable. Where can I find some instructions or photos on how to put them together? I know.... Newb here.

16. jnepo1

Good small straight plugs. But no cable retainers like the 280 plugs, you really need to make sure you use some heat shrink tubing.

They are hard to find, when I order them, I usually order much more than I need for that reason. The prices on the 380 plugs are not the most reasonable, and in most cases, the shipping cost as well. The 380 usually coost @ $4/ea depending on the quantity you buy. I did just order some for $2.80/ea but have to wait a little longer for them to come in from Switchcraft. It's worth the wait for that price.

The barrel length of the 380 plugs are 1" long. As nice as they are short, a good right angle plug works better in most pedalboard situations.

17. jnepo1

Center cable gets soldered to the tip. Sleeve wire(spiral or braided) to the ground lead of the plug.

18. thekonas

thekonas Member

Just ordered 40 pancakes from Orange County... now to find some wire. I'm convinced I can do this... with the forum's help of course! I recall seeing some pics of the process of soldering pancake connectors somewhere before- can anyone help?

Also,
    What's the consensus on wires for patch cables. I plan ob buying about 30 feet in bulk to account for the mistakes I'm sure to make. I have a hobby solder set-up....do I need anything else?

Thanks a bunch,
    newbie out.

19. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

Here you go. Just make sure with the GLS plugs, you are soldering the sleeve to the ground lug and not against the wall of the plug. You could go against the wall, but there's no point if there's already a lug for it.

Just make sure you have a good amount of rosin core solder on hand, maybe some desoldering wick in case you mess up, a set of pliers, a third hand, and some peaceful background music and you should be good for the next hour or 2 of soldering patches. :)

Wires are personal preference. Some like Canare, but some think they are too dark. Some like Mogami, but others think it's too clear. Mogami wires are popular here, especially buying in bulk, due to their transparency and smaller gauge which is perfect for boards. Again, all preference, and you may have to do more research in terms of what you'd like more. There are other bulk wire companies out there but Canares and Mogamis are among the popular ones here.