1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Good Peavey Wolfgang rival?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by papersoul, Jun 10, 2005.

1. papersoul

papersoul Member

Hello,

guys, I am looking for a bolt on maple neck guitar to add to the collection .I keep thinking strat since I have two LPs and a PRS McCarty buit something is calling me back to a Wolfgang. Any thoughts on the Wolf or an alternat? I say alternate because the Special can be uncomfy with the flat top and the Standard can feel weird with the small body (as well as the Special). If I could find something that played great(smooth) with a comfy body in the $500 range! I may want to do coil splitting...not sure.

Thanks!
    -ps

2. Slick51

Slick51 Colonel Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Northwest Corner of NC, 5 mi from MerleFest
    I'd give the Wolfgang a real trial period before you dismiss it out of hand. I have over two dozen guitars; PRS, Gibson, Fender, Hamer, Heritage, Suhr, Zion, Taylor, etc...and the wolfie. I often take the Wolf because its versatile, has great HOT pickups, has a very comfortable neck carve, the trem works great, the D-Tuna can put you in dropped-D in the middle of a lead if required, and on and on. I am not much of a gear snob; what ever works, works.

I went to a jam in Maryland a few years back, and took the Wolfie and a Warmoth partsocaster...when I arrived, I quickly found that it was a gear-measuring contest...and received many questions like "Did YOU bring that PEAVEY?" coupled with a rolling-eyes, curled lip smile. But you know, I played and sounded as good as anyone there with their $4k PRS, Andersons, etc.

I could have brought, say, my quilt/gold/abalone birds/10-top CU22 and my initial-run Custom Audio Amplifiers OD-100 (that I bought for $1300 in 1998, before they were made from pure unobtanium!)...but I brought what was closest to the door of the gear room. I sound like me using almost any reasonable grade equipment.

And thats what it's about. ;)

flame retardant suit firmly ensconced...

Slick51

3. data187

data187 Member

i agree with above...
    i've had a prs standard 22, ce 2, ce 22, les paul, etc. and i feel my peavey wolfgang standard w/ t-o-m bridge plays the best out of all of them.

i find the guitar does the rock sounds great, but obviously doesn't have the clean tones of a strat or the chunk of a les paul.

if you want something like a wolfie but more versatile, try a ernieball/music man axis super sport. much like a wolfie, but has a 5 way switch for more sounds.

be warned, the axis and axis ss have smallish necks.

at the $600-$800 mark, a used peavey wolfgang usa or even a eb/mm axis or an axis ss are great guitars.

4. papersoul

papersoul Member

Thanks guys! I did have a Wolf Standard with stop tail about 4 years ago but sold it when I got into LPs. I just fell in love with the huge chunk of an lP, but now I miss having that smooth playing bolt maple neck in my arsenal.

Not sure I'll be able to afford a Standard but I have seen some no reserve Wolf Standards go for $500-$600. I could get a Special for less. The Special is a bit uncomfortable with the flat top but the Standard feels small because I think the body is thinner to compensate for the arch top. It's a toss up.

Maybe I'll skip the strat for now.

What about the trem/DTuna - is it worth the hassle?

Thanks!

5. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

How about an EBMM Sub1? I love the neck carve on those things.

6. Slick51

The D-Tuna is worth it to me. I play a lot of Drop D...and this one makes it a 5 second change, not a retune or guitar swap.

Slick51

7. papersoul

papersoul Member

aleclee - what is the story on the Ernie Ball Music Man Sub1? I only see them sold in Europe. Can you find em at good price? Is the neck as narrow as the other EBMM guitars? Well, at leat the EVH and Axis seem too narrow.

slick51 - our band is usually in drop C# but it would be nice to have one guitar set up in Eb and I could drop down. Did you notice a nice tonal difference with the trem? One thing that could screw me up is that our other guitarist and new drummer have some tunes in B! Ugh!

8. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

They sell 'em at my local Guitargets. They blow 'em out at $400 pretty regularly.

If you don't like the neck on the Axis, you probably won't like the neck on the Sub1 either.

9. aquadog

aquadog Member

Why don't you just get one made from warmoth?
    It wouldn't be in your price range new, but on ebay, they regularly go for 500 or less in that style.

10. Slick51

I don't notice that much tone suckage, but I use this one at high gain...and that covers a multitude of tone sins. Only you can decide what it does to your signal chain...

;)

Slick51

11. papersoul

papersoul Member

I have to decide if I really need or want a single coil guitar such as a Strat or if I want another humbucker guitar but a bit different from my PRS and LPs. I am personally not a big single coil guy at the moment but thought it may be nice to have plus a single coil in the neck sounds pretty sweet.

Can you adjust the pickup height in the Wolf? I don't remember even trying with my Wolf Standard I had about 4-5 years back but that was mostly because I was told they are direct mount. However, I have since talked to people who have said you can adjust the height.

12. Slick51

I believe you can change the size of the shim/washer, (whatever they use under the pickup screw) to raise the pickup...I don't know about lowering it, without some routing...I've never looked!

;)

Slick51

13. papersoul

papersoul Member

Thanks slick....

Any thoughts on the trem vs hardtail and standard vs special? Is one darker sounding than the others? Brighter?

14. papersoul

papersoul Member

The only issue is that I don't have a single coil guitar and it might be nice to have a strat. The Wolfs could be a bit more comfortable as well.

15. Slick51

The std has a maple cap, and will have more snap. I haven't tried the hardtail; the reason I bought the guitar was for the Floyd/D Tuna..!

Slick51

16. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

I've got a hardtail Standard. I don't need it, but I want it. It's just so good looking, and comfortable. Great neck. I'd have gone with an EBMM, but imo the Wolfie neck is much nicer. I'd have to give the nod to the Wolfie on tone as well, over the EBMM. The pickups do a really nice medium-gain-PAF thing when you back off the volume a bit.

Actually, the one thing I'm kinda not-so-crazy about is the carved top; I actually prefer the flat top on these. The Special is still maple cap right, just flat?

/rick

17. Slick51

Some of them have a maple cap, though it's an upcharge and possibly another naming convention (such as Quilt Special or Flame Special). I believe the solid color, flat-top is solid basswood. Go here to read more...

Slick51

18. papersoul

papersoul Member

So, what do some of you like more about the special flat top?

I had a Standard hardtail and had issues with it being a bit bright but I miss my Wolfgang. I thought about buying a Strat but now I am wanting another Wolfgang but a darker one.