Good pedal for CeriaTone Plexi...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Kenny D, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Kenny D

Kenny D Member

I have been thinking of a new pedal to augment the punch of my new CeriaTone 50 watt Plexi.

I have a FuzzFace but I am thinking more of a tube screamer type device.

I had a stock Blues Driver at one time and liked it but gave it to someone else who neede it more than I. Now I am thinking of getting another one from Keeley.

Has anyone used the Keeley modified stuff like the modded Blues Driver?

2. TimH

TimH Member

Keeley Blues Driver or SparkleDrive would do the trick!

3. Kitarist

Kitarist Supporting Member

Or just get an Tube screamer from Maxon (the best Tube Screamers) or from analog sound (a mod that sound like the Maxon..) or build. We are in a same boat man i'm getting an amp in few days. Also what kind of cab are you using.

4. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

+1 on the keeley sparkle drive. The perfect booster/od for a marshall.

If you're looking for something to fatten up rhythm sounds I would suggest something like an analogman beano boost or any other type of rangemaster treble boost.

5. Kenny D

Kenny D Member

I am using (2) MESA 2x12 cabs. They have V30s in them. I also have (2) Marshall 2x12 cabs that I don't like as much. I have no idea what speakers are in them.

I wound up buying a Gain Stage Blue pedal. It arrives in a few days.

:drool

6. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

What kind of fuzz face do you have? Cause a good germanium fuzz is totally different than a stock dunlop fuzz face for instance. I would also recommend a treble/full range booster. Also if you want an overdrive I would look into Marshall Blues breaker or GuvNor pedals. The guv has a bit more gain. You can get a kit for one at General Guitar Gadgets, and its real fun to build your own pedal. Much cheaper than the boutique guys, and who knows you might experiment and find something new.

Good Luck

dk

7. Kitarist

Kitarist Supporting Member

How does it sound with v30s i heard many reviews that plexis dont sound good with v30s so would be better to go with Greenbacks or something similar.

8. vinceman

vinceman Member

OCD sounds great in a plexi

9. Kenny D

Kenny D Member

I have not played the amp that much yet. It's up at my studio with all my other stuff.

Funny that you should bring this up though. I played it through two separate types of cabs. The Marshalls that I have sounded a bit better with this amp. Unfortunately, I don't know what type of speakers are in them. I guess I'll have to open up the cabs and find out.

I have a lot more experimenting to do.

I have the stock Dunlop FuzzFace and it definitely does not sound good with this amp; it's way too buzzy, not creamy smooth like I wanted. I am still waiting for the GSB to arrive.

10. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

plug into greenbacks and you'll get to crank the amp a lot higher without being as loud.

low efficiency speakers + marshalls = love

11. Sol

Sol Member

I find a Hotcake Bluesberry a superb pedal for goosing the front end of both my Marshall 69 Plexi Superlead, and my '73 Marshall Lead&Bass 50 Watt head.

You can dial in just the right amount of upper mid and treble bite while losing nothing at the bass end of things.

Another pedal that sounds fab in front of Marshalls is the Marshall Bluesbreaker pedal, keep the treble high, and max output, great results.

Not an overdrive or fuzz, but my D*A*M Red Rooster(Rangemaster based pedal)is by far my fave way of goosing either of my Marshalls,with an upper mid bite, not to mention my '66 AC30 TB.

All three of these yeild different tonal results, and you will get more gain with a Hotcake, or Bluesbreaker for obvious reasons, but they are all well worth a tryout if you can.

12. Raymund

Raymund Member

Lovepedal COT 50 or MI Audio Crunch Box

13. fuzz+strat

fuzz+strat Member

"Augment the punch" = Super Hard On, to me.

In the TS vein, the MI Audio Blue Boy (Deluxe) is pretty killer.

14. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

Well there's your problem. I suggest a high quality germanium fuzz face. Check out http://www.smallbearelec.com/StoreFront.bok

They have matched germaniums. Fuzz faces only have a few basic parts, but they all need to be high quality parts. So you might want to just rebuild the thing!

If you don't want to go messing with the soldering gun, sell the Dunlop for 80 bucks or so, and put that towards a Monsterpiece Classic. He does insane fuzz pedals with the best wiring in the bizz. All for a hundred bucks.

I prefer germanium fuzzes (think early Hendrix tones). They clean up so good with the volume sometimes you forget you have a "fuzz" pedal on. Its almost like an overdrive with a bit of fuzz. But some like the silicon fuzz faces (later Hendrix, or early Gilmore tones). They are both great, but I prefer the germs.

Good luck!

dk

15. houps

houps Member

Jacques's Fuseblower works great in front of my 67 plexi replica.
    I've always found it was a cool OD/distortion/fuzz but it works especially well with this amp.
    That's nice that you're able to adjust bass, mids, treble, general tone, the amount of distortion and the level of output.
    Plus overtones come easily on the neck bucker which is useful for leads.

16. ebenezer

ebenezer Silver Supporting Member

I have a Keeley Blues Driver and love it! The only problem I ran into with it was at higher gains settings it got a little buzzy. I just retired it for a Lovepedal Purple Plexi and couldn't be happier!