Good pedal platform combo amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by maydaynyc, Dec 7, 2016.

1. maydaynyc

maydaynyc Supporting Member

I'm looking for a good clean 1x12 combo amp to use as a live playing pedal platform. It must be lightweight and easy to carrry, be loud enough to keep up with a 2 guitar rock band and sound good both in its native clean state and with dirt and effects through pedals. Ideally it would have an effects loop too. I don't care about reverb, tremolo or channel switching. I heard a Tyler JT14 the other day that seemed to fit the bill, and it seems DrZ has some models that might work. Any others you can recommend?

2. Mr-T

Mr-T Member

Peavey classic 30. Solid platform and saves some cash!

3. IndyMead

IndyMead Member

Budda Superdrive

rummy and maydaynyc like this.
  4. truckin

truckin Supporting Member

Two Rock Studio Pro
    - Tube buffered fx loop
    - great cleans
    - takes od well
    - Reverb tank
    - lots of EQ options

Bluesful likes this.
  5. theroan

theroan Member

It's not a single channel, but it can be priced like one, the Mesa Lonestar Special is incredible.

moosewayne likes this.
  6. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

Suhr Bella. About the size of a DR. A little heavier due to the bigger transformer but damn good for what you want.

pbmw, Darkburst, maydaynyc and 2 others like this.
  7. Crash-VR

Crash-VR Supporting Member

That's what I was going to say. If I needed what you're asking for this would be my first choice. If I needed something lighter I would look at one of the Redplate champ sized combos like a Tweedyverb.

pbmw and btjguitarman like this.
  8. fenderjapan

fenderjapan World Heavyweight Champion Silver Supporting Member

9. Dad love mom

Dad love mom Supporting Member

OP, this is a GREAT amp for pedals: the amp is a Two Rock Studio 50/15. I've rocked one for a year now (almost) and it just has tone for days. Check one out if you can! :)

maydaynyc likes this.
  10. btjguitarman

btjguitarman Member

another vote for the Bella. Stellar amp

11. vbf

vbf Supporting Member

For less money look at a trusty HRD.

12. maydaynyc

Thanks everyone good suggestions. I need to look into the weight on that 2 rock. it seems like every gig is down a steep narrow staircase and through a thick crowd (who disappear as soon as we start...).

13. LZRFACE

LZRFACE Member

In terms of sound to weight ratio, the Quilter Aviator 1x12 might be worth a look.

Anacharsis and oldhousescott like this.
  14. maydaynyc

Owned one and loved the tone. was not a bad pedal platform, but it was a little heavy and blew the rectifier tube if used in 5 and 15 watt mode.

15. Teleman

Teleman Supporting Member

Roland blues cube artist. Takes pedals like a champ, lightweight, and sounds great.
    I haven't gigged with anything else since I bought it over a year ago.

JipThePeople likes this.
  16. snow and steel

snow and steel Supporting Member

My Roland Blues Cube Artist is quite possibly the finest amp I've ever owned, and I've owned MANY great [and far more expensive] tube amps. I can send you some audio if you are interested - I guarantee you won't believe your ears. I drove to Sweetwater to try about 15 different amps, and plugged into the BC expecting to laugh, expected to be disappointed - and got slapped upside the head with an outstanding tone that knocked my grin off my face and then put it back on there again! I Half thought I'd be leaving with a Supro or one of the custom Fenders - then I played them. The artist sounded WAY better. The keyboard player in one of the bands I play with was with me. He walked into the Amp room when he was done looking at keyboards and computer stuff. I played him the same riff on about 5 amps real quick [including the supro, a Fender custom '68, and the Artist] and he quickly said with no hesitation "That one sounds best" and pointed at the artist. Now he knows sound, but isn't a guitarist so he isn't caught up in all the hype and what not, doesn't know jack about tube/ss. But he knew what he liked the sound of and what would sound good in a band context and that was it. He has played professionally for about 10-12 years as well.

I tried out a Quilter Aviator Gold combo before I went to sweetwater as well. I drove all the way to Louisville to do it. I had hoped to bring it home. I spent 3 hours with it and couldn't get the sound I wanted. I could always get it close but I was compromising somewhere in the EQ. I could get the mids and bass right but not the treble, or the treble and mids right but not the bass. It was VERY frustrating. I wanted to like it - bad - but I couldn't bring myself to bring it home.

I play full time, 3-6 nights a week, and it is the sole way I pay the bills, put food on the table and provide for my wife and I. I used to have a massive amp collection of tube amps; Marshall 1974x, Orange Rockerverb, Mesa Mini rectifier, Mesa Rectoverb, Fender Deluxe Reverb, and more. As provided backline I've played many, many other tube amps. I've done studio work [although that seems to be a thing of the past these days - too many guys doing it in their home], pick up gigs, fill-in slots, regionals, two tours across the country [in my younger days] and play in three bands fairly regularly. I'd like to think I know what "good tube tone" is.

When I got the Artist I was immediately relived - no more sore back, no more worrying about cold rain hitting my hot tubes and busting them, no more worrying about some stage mongrel yanking my amp out of his way and slamming it down hard somewhere with hot tubes in it and breaking them, no more expensive NOS tubes, no more Biasing, no more playing too loud for the venue to get the right sound, no more fights with sound guys about how loud I do or don't need to be... I could go on. The point being - complete and utter RELIEF. Now I can play, have the sound I want at ANY volume, and just concentrate on playing and putting on a good show.

Does that help?

JB_SC, Teleman, JipThePeople and 2 others like this.
  17. 108

108 Member

Blues Deluxe

18. maydaynyc

Wow that's quite an endorsement. Thanks for taking the time I will check it out. One question though because I've never seen or heard one live. Is it able to keep up with a reasonably loud rock band in a small bar/club when only vocals are through the PA so it has to be both my FOH sound and the band's monitor?

3 Mile Stone likes this.
  19. Dave_C

Dave_C Member

Quilter! The Mach 2 HD 1x12 is 21 lbs and takes pedals better than some of my time amps. (I have the head at 7 lbs.)

http://www.quilterlabs.com/index.ph...ifiers/micropro-mach-2-hd-combo-heavy-duty-12

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  20. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

... and he didn't really address how well it takes pedals either. Which would be pretty important, it seems, to your original question. I'd like to know as well. Seems I've read other threads stating the Roland does perform that function well, but ?