Good pickup replacements for a Les Paul Studio?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by auffredou, Feb 15, 2008.

1. auffredou

auffredou Member

Im looking into seymour duncan phat cats, but since I already like the clean sound of my studio, Im not sure If I should switch away from humbuckers or not. Really just looking for something that wont sound so muffled or have that "blanket over the speaker effect" when Im using OD pedals.

Any suggestions for pickups with some more clarity? Should I go humbucker route or try a P90 based pickup?

2. pedalbored

pedalbored Member

I've got a '91 Lp Studio that I've put a Seymore Duncan '59 in black in the bridge slot. A little more gutsy on the clean setting, but a lot of scream on the overdrive channel.

3. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

On my studio I replaced the wiring with RS premium wiring and then I put an alnico pro 2 in the neck and a custom 5 in the bridge (seymour duncan). I think it sounds great!

4. auffredou

auffredou Member

anyone know how fralin p 92's compare to phat cats? obviously more expensive, but worth it?

5. auffredou

auffredou Member

pearly, im currently only running an analogman silver modded ts9. it actually sounds pretty good when I stack it with a TIM with my les paul, but unfortunately Im going to have to wait another few months for my new TIM. (I sold the one I bought on ebay to make sure I got a good return on it since the list is getting much shorter these days)

Im not sure if I should check something out in the meantime or not. I know the TS9 will sound pretty good again, even with stock studio pickups, once I get another TIM, but maybe if I were to check something else out I would end up keeping 3 OD's on my board anyway, who knows.

Regardless of this specific pedal stuff, I have heard alot of people say the stock pickups are "muddy" and people replace them, so Id be interested to find out more about some other options. Like I said, I am pretty happy with the clean sound already, so maybe I just need pedal tweaking for leads? Or maybe I dont know what Im missing with a pickup change and I could even improve on the sound Im getting? Who knows...

6. straightblues

straightblues Member

Try raising the pole pieces in your pickups and moving them a little further away from the strings. Also, consider some differerent caps for your guitar. The Hovland caps are known for the bright clear sound.

7. auffredou

auffredou Member

"Also, consider some differerent caps for your guitar"

could you explain this a little more? I hear people talking about this alot, but never really knew what it meant. And I do have the pickups very low, just a little above the mounting ring, and I like the sound a lot better than when I had them higher.

8. Birddog

Birddog Member

Maybe it's just me, but I really like the 490 and 498 on my Studio. I like the Burstbuckers, too, but the stock Studio pickups have worked well for me. Try running your amp a little brighter with the stock pickups, maybe? I know that, compared to my Strats, I set the treble higher when gigging with the Studio. Not because it's muffled-sounding. They're just a bit darker-sounding and I want to enhance the upper freq's for soloing.

Again, I'm really happy with the stock pups on my Studio.

9. guitaraddict

guitaraddict Supporting Member

I've had great luck with WCR's Darkburst and Goodwood along with a RS premium wiring kit. The new pots and caps alone made as big of a difference as the new pickups did in my LP Standard.

10. Wally1

Wally1 Member

Get the RS or WCR electronics upgrade kit with the WCR Goodwood/darkburst set and thank me later!

11. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

At least put new 500k volume pots in it - the stock 300k ones never sound good to my ears - dark and muffled. I prefer audio taper and RS pots are very good. Paper in oil caps make a world of difference too. I use a .022uF for the bridge pup and a .015uF for the neck pup. I also use the Black Rose wiring scheme - I find a little more top end on my Elite LP. I'm putting Sheptone PAF Tributes in the Studio I'm refinishing.

[​IMG]