Good place to buy a guitar in Ohio?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jimmyohio75, Sep 10, 2008.

1. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

I live in NE Ohio. Besides GC and Woodsys(Kent) where can I find a huge selection of guitars? I am willing to drive.

2. grownupboy

grownupboy Member

Um, it doesn't matter what anyone else might tell you about a guitar store... you've got to play a lot of them and then pick the one that sounds the best to you. Most stores are crap but there are a few gems out there... you just gotta find them.

;)
    k

3. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

Exactly why I'm looking for a store in Ohio that has lots of them for me to play!

4. soulohio

soulohio Member

I got a great Fender Toronado that I'll sell ya and also a Ibanez Iceman.

5. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

Nope, I'm a strat guy

6. TroyHamilton

TroyHamilton Supporting Member

Jimmy,

I moved from Ohio at the end of last year but I'll try to help you out.

If you're a pawn shop guy, head down to Uncle Sam's in Columbus... don't drive the BMW, but you can get some decent stuff there.

If you're into acoustic instruments you can't beat Wildwood in Roscoe Village (Coshocton). (Seriously, this place is incredible... you should go even if you aren't going to buy anything.)

For electrics, I'm not real sure... so many of the classic places seem to have been forced out by GC/Sam Ash. A lot of people like C-A House in Steubenville, though I wasn't super impressed. There is a place called 'Artist Guitars' in Newark I believe... might be worth a look. Lay's in Akron is a great place to get work done... truly top notch and good guys as well.

Sorry I can't help more... I struggled for years to find a decent place ones the smaller shops either went out of business (Musicians Swap Shop) or seemed to change their approach (Akron Music, Lays, Roselyn's, etc).

7. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

Troy, thanks for the help. I used to shop quite a bit at Lentine's but they went out two years ago. Aside from Woodsys and GC I have no place to shop for guitars around here......It sucks

8. TroyHamilton

TroyHamilton Supporting Member

oops, I actually meant Lentine's instead of Lay's when I said some places had changed their approach. Lay's is top-notch... but they just do repair/building.

Beldin Village Music and Canton Music are okay... if you're in Canton they might be worth a visit too... but don't expect to be floored.

9. PerfectStranger

PerfectStranger Member

10. doublee

doublee Member

I read on this forum a few months ago about a very high end private dealer in Cincy and of course cant remember the name...he has a website...maybe someone here will remember...

11. M@tt C

M@tt C Supporting Member

The Sam Ash in Mayfield is actually pretty decent. They had some interesting stuff the last time I was there- a Trussart, several nice Gibson and Fender custom shop pieces, as well as a good selection of the more run of the mill lines.

Plus, unlike GC, they're willing to deal.

12. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Mike's Music in Cincinnati has some great vintage and almost vintage, ie. mid to late 70's American guitars.

13. John C

John C Supporting Member

Lentine's bit the dust eh? I actually got my first PRS from them when I was living up in Akron back in 1992.

Sorry, I've been gone too long to help you out and am kind of spoiled being back in Kentucky (and only a bit more than an hour away from Willcutts in Lexington).

14. gillibi

gillibi Member

For vintage go to Dave Hussong's Fretware Guitars in Franklin. There you will find the most amazing collection of archtops EVER!

15. mbrann

mbrann Member

I'm in the Cincy area and can comment on a few places. MikesMusic does have a lot of gear jammed into two locations. Most of it is cheap stuff with the vintage pieces being off limits without someone there to help you. Climate control at either location virtually doesn't exist. Gary's Guitars is run out of Gary's house. A beautiful house with an unequaled selection of fine vintage gear. No junk here. And Fretware does have some very fine archtops and acoustics too. But not much in the way of solidbodies when I was there last.

16. Trego

Trego Member

Centerville Music in Centerville, OH is the biggest volume PRS dealer.

Nice, knowledgeable guys there.

17. bigjoeblue

bigjoeblue Member

Tema Music in Rootstown is pretty cool. Large selection of Heritage guitars, and Kevin is excellent with amps or guitars. Swampdogs in Columbus has a couple Goodsells, but my favorite is still Woodseys.
    Heights Guitar in Cleveland has great acoustics, and some fine Gretchs

18. moss

moss Member

got a 76 les paul custom wine red or a 74 deluxe goldtop with lollor p90s. I'm right in north hill close to Devites italian store.:dude