Good Post-Peter Gabriel Genesis Songs

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by binge, Feb 5, 2012.

1. binge

binge Member

What are some good post-Peter Gabriel Genesis songs?

2. binge

binge Member

Is that generally considered as the best one?

3. GilH123

GilH123 Member

While others may disagree with me, I actually really like Abacab. It's a very poppy record, but there's still lots of sophistication in the material. Sort of the best of both worlds, Genesis-wise. No Reply at All is a killer pop song bolstered by fantastic musicianship.

4. stevel

stevel Member

"good"? Well, seeing as virtually all of the mega popular Genesis songs were after PGs departure, *some people* must have thought they were "good" :)

Duke through Invisible Touch all increase the number of "hits" per album and IMHO opinion, do get "better" as they go.

IMHO PC's solo career kind of tainted Genesis and by Invisible Touch and especially We Can't Dance I get tired of him screaming the song - and we couldn't turn on the radio (or MTV back in the day) without hearing (or is it being subjected to?) PC in one form or another. So I'm kind of partial to the earlier of that group which goes against the "popularity" issue.

Steve

5. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

:agree

6. bluesjunior

bluesjunior Member

I think if you just want one LP to get the gist of him then Peter Gabriel Plays Live is the one. You will either go on and buy everything by him or think talented guy I get him now.

7. hank57

hank57 Silver Supporting Member

Trick of Tail and Wind and Wurhering blow my mind. I may have found these albums on a street corner as was the nature of things in San Francisco after CDs were invented. I was very anti prog rock except for Yes, and I mostly listened to Dead, Who, Floyd, Zeppelin. Both of these albums went really deep for me and some of the more introspective songs could bring me to tears for their beauty.

8. steveRB

steveRB Member

Ripples
    Fading Lights
    Blood on the Rooftops
    Turn it On Again
    Los Endos
    Just a Job to Do
    One for the Vine
    Mama
    Duchess

9. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas Member

This'll be a short thread

KIDDING

I like "Land of Confusion" a lot, not least for its fine video

10. hank57

hank57 Silver Supporting Member

He still wanted Genesis here folks...

11. roadfilm

roadfilm Member

Duke, Abacab and the "cookie cutter" album are all really good.

12. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

You had the entire list in your OP.

13. jhvox

jhvox Member

Afterglow
    Duchess
    Duke's Travels - Duke's End
    Ripples
    Snowbound
    Deep In The Motherload
    Burning Rope
    Los Endos
    Unquiet Slumbers...
    ...In That Quiet Earth
    Throwing It All Away
    Dance On A Volcano
    Squonk

14. fetchmybeer

fetchmybeer Member

I really thought they stayed pretty solid through Abacab, even though it was clear by then that they were becoming more of a pop band. By the time Genesis came out, they had pretty much lost me, although Mama is a cool tune.

Trick Of The Tail is really solid post-Gabriel stuff. I love Dance On A Volcano. With it and Wind & Wuthering, they were still a prog band with only an occasional pop bent. The success of Follow You Follow Me seemed to change everything though.

15. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

Just about everything they did.

I like Genesis after him, and I like his stuff after Genesis. I was never a fan of their stuff together.

16. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

Depends how you mean.....
    I saw them in 1975 when they toured for The Lamb.....the height of their success.
    After that, Phil quit being one of the best drummers the world has ever seen, and Genesis became a Pop Band.
    They NEVER came close to that record again, and did not produce anything worth buying.....post Gabriel.
    If you are looking for music from the band that went on without Gabriel, this thread will be full of suggestions.
    Good Luck

17. Pietro

Saw them on tour for Duke... AMAZING! They were NOT a pop band at that point...

18. circusinthesky

circusinthesky Member

A Trick of the Tail is a really good post-Gabriel album. Still enough weird to keep it interesting, but they had not hit that slight bland period which was to come.

Of the albums with only Phil, Mike, and Tony, I think Abacab is the most solid. pre-Abacab was hit or miss, with quite a few meandering numbers. post-Abacab started down a pretty commercial road. Abacab itself seems a great combination of pop hooks, progressive instrumentals, and just catchy numbers. There's a darkness or melancholy to Abacab, which blends very nicely with some of the upbeat instrumentation.

This is pretty cool.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  19. John C

John C Supporting Member

Granted I came to Genesis late - while I was into some other prog and concept-oriented bands like Yes, Pink Floyd, and Rush in the late 70s I didn't get into to Genesis until more like 1980 - I probably saw the video for Turn it on Again but then got to hear earlier things like The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, Foxtrot, etc. through friends with more extensive prog collections.

That being said I really think that Trick of the Tale and Wind & Wuthring could have easily been Gabriel-era recordings; however as time went along I also think that being the front man/singer really detracted from Collins' drumming.

And I firmly believe that the loss of Steve Hackett, not Peter Gabriel, was the more pivotal change for Genesis.

20. Pietro

Oops... forgot about that one...

Can I change my vote...