Good Price for a Used 64' Vibroverb Custom?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Hylophone, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Hylophone

Hylophone Member

I see them go for $1500 to $1800 often, always on ebay and craigslist. Saw a guy selling one for $800. What is a common used price for these? If I'm patient what can I expect to spend on one?

Anyone have any experience comparing the Vibroverb Custom to a Twin Custom 15?

2. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

Boy, $1800 seems high, I sold the real deal for only a few hundred more, but if that's what the market demands.

3. amphog

amphog Silver Supporting Member

It is a very different amp than a Twin 15. 1200-1400 is a good range, much less if there is something wrong with it or you get lucky. I have one, it is the second one I have owned.

4. Hylophone

Hylophone Member

WHA! I thought those were routinely $4000 or around that park. Slumping economy?

5. Hylophone

Hylophone Member

Did you find yours locally or did you seek it out via the internet? Do you think there are better prices on the emporium here or on craigslist? I'm trying to stay away from Ebay. Do you guys have any recommendations about where to look?

6. gulliver

I think I sold it for $2400 shipped before the economy crashed. If you look for a while, you can find them. Mine was actually in quite good condition, almost looked like a RI, but had less desirable speaker, missing a back panel and the grill cloth was silverface style, that a previous owner put on in the wrong direction. :huh

7. Hylophone

Hylophone Member

Great, thanks fellas.

8. v-verb

v-verb Member

Did it have "Joe Walsh - Barnstorm" stenciled on a back panel?

9. Calloway

Calloway Member

$800 would be a steal. Buy it immediately if it is at this price. I have played both the twin 15 and the vibroverb. The Vibro has a lot more tonal options with the diaz mods changing the rectifier and what not. The Twin is loud and clean like any good twin, but the 15 gives it a bit more roundness to the sound. Every reissue vibroverb I have seen has been at least $1500 on the internet.

10. gulliver

Maybe it did, but like I said, the back panel was missing.

I guess my point, you can get the real deal for much cheaper if it's not all there or all original. These amps were built so well, you can own them to play rather than collect, and they will only appreciate in value.

Mine was pretty generic sounding at lower volumes, and had a sweet spot up high, right before it started to fall apart, that was very cool. If you're not into that, you're better of getting an RI.

11. amphog

I got both of mine as nos in stores.

12. Hylophone

Hylophone Member

two new old stock 64' customs? having a pair would be sweet. im jealous.

13. Hylophone

Hylophone Member

It was a guy selling it on and other emporium, I came across it when I was looking for information. He started at $1400 and over the course of something like 12 posts and no responses he was down to $800 and desperate to sell. I'm fairly certain it was an expired thread.

14. amphog

The first one I bought died, was fixed, but did not souind the same as it did at first. It was returned. The one I have now was from a different store, they had it for at least 4 years. It sounds pretty good, but I am not blown away like I was with the first one. Maybe it was that nothing sounds better that a amp about to explode thing?

15. Hylophone

Hylophone Member

would you say these are typical black-face? Can i get similar results out of a black-faced silver-face vibrolux? or does the hotrodding really change things up? does this model have big twin transformers in it too? Gah, I want one.

16. pinhooker

pinhooker Member

You're thinking of real ones.

If you can get it in the lower 1k region, its a fair deal. $800, I'd buy to flip and make 500$ off it.

17. amphog

They are closer to a super than a vibrolux.