1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Good Price on a Gibson '58 Reissue?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bonchie123, Jan 10, 2008.

1. bonchie123

bonchie123 Supporting Member

Its a 2007 Historic custom shop '58 in gloss finish (which is supposedly a 300 upcharge from the regular faded plaintops that most have). Sold as new though its not technically new.

He wants (won't say who as I don't want someone to buy it out from under me :)) $2400. This is a very reputable dealer so theres no worries there. Just curious what others payed for theres.

I've seen some people say they got their '58's for 2k but I've searched ebay, every dealer I can find, the emporium, and all other forum classifieds for a month and I've yet to find one below $2200 in average shape, much less new in a gloss finish.

$2400 seems like a great deal to me. Am I wrong in thinking that?

2. SGNick

SGNick Member

15 bucks is a good price for a Gibson 50 reissue... good luck findin THAT TOUGH!!!!

seriously though, if it's 2400 and it plays nice, I think it's a pretty standard looking price

3. Wally1

Wally1 Member

If the guitar is new that sounds like a great price. I dont think you'll find one new for much cheaper. I'd check it out and if it plays and sounds good and doesnt have any issues I'd grab it!

4. bonchie123

Well I can't play it but it is at Marks guitar loft. Hes one of the more highly respected used/vintage dealers around the country (and on this site and the lespaulforum.com) and he has assured me it has no issues and plays well. Of course he has a 24 hour tryout period where I can send it back the next day if something is wrong when I recieve it.

As far as new prices, the lowest I found was $2599 and that was without the gloss finish. The major sites (mf.com, gc.com etc.) sell them for $3099. I have no idea how they get away with selling them for that much when dealers who insure quality control like Mark, CCmusic, Wilcutt, etc. are around selling the same guitar for much cheaper.

I went ahead and had Mark put it on hold for me. I don't think I'm gonna find a better deal on a 2007 as new '58 (w/ the gloss finish which was a big plus for me looks wise).

5. morlll

morlll Member

Good move I checked it out over at Mark's it's really nice.

6. bonchie123

How'd you like it? Its the exact model and year I was looking for. Just wish I didn't live 24 hours from there so I could play it myself. I'm glad he has a tryout policy though so no real problem there.

7. 777

777 Member

Nope, that's right on the money. I was just talking to another very recognized dealer from the LPF & that's the price I got too.

8. bonchie123

Thats how I found Mark (although I'd seen him mentioned on here before without taking notice to it).

That forum isn't good for individual sales like here, but their dealer section is very helpful.

9. skylabfilmpop

skylabfilmpop Silver Supporting Member

Plaintops are usually in the $2k range. I just picked up a 2001 Custom Authentic Flametop 8.4 lbs for $2400 ( a few hundred under value) so deals are out there. But that said how long do you want to wait to save a few hundred $$. If the dealer has an approval period then go for it, it working in your hands is most important. Also check the classifieds at les paul forum.