• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Good Rack Mount Mixer

HowardMusic

Silver Supporting Member
Looking for a good quality rack mount mixer as an upgrade to a Kawai MX-8R mixer possibly with 1/4" or xlr inputs, aux sends, headphone output and maybe 2u to 4u. I really like the features on the Kawai, but just wondering if any better options were available. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Last edited:

MikeVB

Silver Supporting Member
I've been looking for a used Ashly MX-508 in good condition for several months on loudboy's recommendation. Finally scored one yesterday from a WTB ad I put on prosoundforum.

Meanwhile, any rec's on a decent quality rack case to hold it, an iem transmitter, and maybe a vox processor and/or power conditioner?

For that matter what would be some good vox processors and power conditioners to shop for used?

Ashly MX-508 - I got a used one for $200.

kentronicus

Pater Familias,

In IEMs I've had both Shure and A-T. I liked the used Shure sys I had ok until a quantity of beer was spilled on the trans and killed it. Shure was not so friendly about the repairs, so I ordered a new A-T and have liked it so far. My band mates are so loud the IEMs aren't really a help unless I could get the others to go to them. Then again they're so deaf it almost doesn't matter anymore. I use the IEMs when I play with folks that are a little less loud.

vocal processing - something Lexicon or TC if the budget allows for the better stuff.

power conditioning - have used some of all the brands, I like Tripp-Lite and some of the ART ones that have the amperage/voltage display, have some of those in a rack now. At least they are pretty to look at....

So you figured out who I was, where do I know you from?

K

MikeVB

Silver Supporting Member
Pater Familias,

In IEMs I've had both Shure and A-T. I liked the used Shure sys I had ok until a quantity of beer was spilled on the trans and killed it. Shure was not so friendly about the repairs, so I ordered a new A-T and have liked it so far. My band mates are so loud the IEMs aren't really a help unless I could get the others to go to them. Then again they're so deaf it almost doesn't matter anymore. I use the IEMs when I play with folks that are a little less loud.

vocal processing - something Lexicon or TC if the budget allows for the better stuff.

power conditioning - have used some of all the brands, I like Tripp-Lite and some of the ART ones that have the amperage/voltage display, have some of those in a rack now. At least they are pretty to look at....

So you figured out who I was, where do I know you from?

K
Thanks Kent. I'm from over in Leesburg, but I've been in your shop many times. In fact, I was in there a few months ago. We were talking about you're playing with Bo and that until recently I've mostly played bluegrass guitar with Andy Martin, a banjo player originally from Tifton. George knows Andy, he said he sold or traded him a Strat about 10-15 yrs ago I think. Also I bought that little Marshall 1965b 4x10 cab from George back in the Spring.

This is me and Andy - he's the one in the goofy hat
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Crawlin-Kingsnakes/209413709102636?sk=info

I've already got a Sennheiser 300 IEM that I picked up because I have Meniere's Disease in my left ear which causes me lots of pain around loud noise, especially things like cymbals. I've only been able to try it once though for a power trio jam session - worked pretty good but I only turned it up just enough to hear my vox and could hear the amps and drums just fine unmic'ed.

kentronicus

DING:idea!!!! I know you now. Good to catch up with you man!

I saw those pics, y'all look COLD..Blackmon is a cool guy, we did a gig with him at the State Theater a while back, very nice fellow and a great musician.

Maybe we'll catch up in person soon, let me know where you're gigging.

Kent

RGB

Silver Supporting Member
I have an Alesis MultiMix 12R that works very well, but the Ashley looks like it has better eq and patching.

Got mine for $75 on CL, though. Really good sounding mixer.

Just looked up the Ashley and it's priced at $1299!!! Holy crap!

The Alesis is much more reasonably priced at $299.

loudboy

I have an Alesis MultiMix 12R that works very well, but the Ashley looks like it has better eq and patching.

Got mine for $75 on CL, though. Really good sounding mixer.

Just looked up the Ashley and it's priced at $1299!!! Holy crap!

The Alesis is much more reasonably priced at $299.
I got my Ashly for $200.

I would have to say that used Ashly gear is THE best value in pro sound out there.

RGB

Silver Supporting Member
I got my Ashly for $200.

I would have to say that used Ashly gear is THE best value in pro sound out there.
Gotta agree if the used stuff is marked down THAT much!

Please let me know if you see any more priced like that! :) I'd love to pick one of those up!

MikeVB

Silver Supporting Member
I got my Ashly for $200.

Hey loudboy, my used Ashly MX-508 mixer arrived today. Please give me a primer from your experience on starting set up you would use to mix:

1. An acoustic act with two condenser vox mics, two dedicated instrument mics, and a line-in acoustic guitar pick up. Either no monitors or one or two small wedges.

vs say,

2. Classic rock band with two vox mics, a real drum set, a keyboard, 50w plexi amp, 200w bass amp. IEM monitors.

Both would be using two QSC k12 mains for now (a powered sub added down the road) and an Ipod for ambience before and between sets.

I know each room and gig will be different but I'm just looking for a quick start advice guide based on your experience with the unit.

Trending Topics