Good replacement tuners for Les Paul?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jeffinaustin, Aug 25, 2008.

1. jeffinaustin

jeffinaustin Supporting Member

My LP will not stay in tune! I've had it set up recently with the Buzz Feiten system and it still won't. My guess is the stock tuners (it's a '93). Any input on good replacements?

2. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

I don't think the tuners are the source of your tuning issues. Even cheap crappy tuners should hold tuning with a properly lubed and cut nut. Try some graphite powder and or vaseline in the nut slots or Big Bends Nut Sauce. Make sure the nut has been properly cut as well.

3. stuagu

stuagu Member

tonepros locking ones if you want to keep the vintage look. have you checked the nut because gibson have fitted some right old crap over the years?

4. PerfectStranger

PerfectStranger Member

5. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

YES!

Also, slightly tightening the screws on the tuner buttons will help a bit. I have a PRS Mira that would not stay in tune. It is now back in the shop to check the nut, but snugging up the buttons definitely helped.

6. jeffinaustin

7. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Are they "Gibson Deluxe" tuners? If so, those are probably Shcallers and have the 2 piece crimped on back. The can and often get loos and the gears will slip. I would go ahead and replace them with some quality tuners; Gotoh, Grover, or the TP's. Make sure the nut doesn't have issues and that you bridge and tailpice are rigid and you should be in business.

8. jeffinaustin

That's the type they are. I'm taking it to my set up guy this weekend and have him recut the nut a bit but think I'll replace the machines as well. Can't hurt!

Thanks guys.

9. jamo71

jamo71 Member

Had the same issue with my Les Paul Studio. I had a bone nut installed and have had no issues since.