Good Reverb Pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by granite, Aug 12, 2005.

1. granite

granite Member

I'm looking for some ideas for adding reverb to 1x12 Aiken Tomcat. What are current users using or what would you suggest for a higher end reverb unit. I like the Matchless RV-1 but too much money for me. Unit could be a pedal or stand alone. Ideas?

2. Bradders

Bradders Member

Hi,
    don't overlook the $100 EH Holy Grail - -I was sceptical but am digging what I hear. ..... I assume you tried one and it didn't work out seeing as you're asking after higher $ units?

Have to say - -when I need a bit of non-amp reverb - you could go a lot farther wrong than a holy grail.

Just a 2c comment - :)

3. granite

granite Member

Interesting idea. I have not tried this one. I like the sound clips on their website.
    Nice price too. Is it quiet in your set up?

4. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Dito on the holy grail. People snob it, but I dig it. It's nice for a simulated spring to get darn close to that Fender amp reverb without the trouble and money of a large stand alone unit. The hall setting cranked gets you some cool indi-flamming lips lead lines. I use mine mostly for the latter.

I love mine!

5. exodus

exodus Member

the digitech digiverb does a good job.

6. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

One more for the Holy Grail. Believe it or not.

Built like a house of cards, no battery (wallwart operation only, and a pin jack, at that), sometimes unreliable ...

... and a sound so good I bought a second one.

Kiwi

7. technik

technik Guest

Holy Grail :D
    Just got mine yesterday at GC, it really impresses me...
    I tried the digiverb, but still Holy Grail wins

8. wolfpack

wolfpack Supporting Member

9. malabarmusic

malabarmusic Member

I'm still liking the Little Lanelei (sp?). Yes, some of the digital simulation pedals sound good, but I'm after amp-sounding reverb (as opposed to digital "hall" or "room" sounds), and the LL's real live springs do the trick.

- DB

10. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

I'll 5th the Holy Grail. Nice little pedal. Tried the Digiverb, wanted to like it, but alas, with my gear it did not do the rick. Others like it though, so it may behoove you to A/B the two and see what works best for you.

I have and Alesis Microverb that sounds darn good also. While it does not have a "spring" setting, I can dial in excellent sounding verbs. $25 used.

Check the buy and sells as Holy Grails & Digiverbs show up frequently in the $60-$65 range.

One I kick myself for not buying is the Peavey Valveverb. Tube driven verb abd trem in a single rack space. Now discontinued and rising in price, a nice Fenderish verb.

11. granite

granite Member

Anyone tried the Fender tank reverb reissues? Pros? Cons? Worth the extra money compared to the foot boxes?

12. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

Because I have a Tweed amp I'm strongly considering a VanAmps Reverbamate. I've heard good things about them.

13. Bradders

Bradders Member

Hey Granite - -just drop the $100 on teh Holy Grail and buy the rest of us a beer .... :D

14. granite

granite Member

Hell...why didn't I think of that? :confused: I'll probably give the Holy Grail a shot. My only concern is "tone suck" that is why I'm also leaning toward the Fender Tank route. These are great problems to have!

15. Bradders

Bradders Member

Naaah - no tone suck - or none to speak of unless you're adding $500K's worth of spectrometer ( or whatever) - you'll be fine.:D

16. Franklin

Franklin Member

The new Holy Grail is true bypass and a great value, if you have to spend extra money though the VanAmps Reverbamate is pearless!

17. guitarboy

guitarboy Member

....add another for the holy grail! a good sounding pedal that's
    cheap.. who wouda thunk?!?!?....

18. granite

granite Member

I like the Reverbamate, but don't you need two inputs on your amp for it to function properly? The Aiken Tomcat only has one input and I don't think it would work right. Could someone confirm this or is there a way around this?

19. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

Hmmm... Strange...

I bought a Holy Grail and found it to have a high pitched whine when switched in. I took it back and traded it for another one and it did the same thing, so I took it back for a refund.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Having said that, the reverb was very nice--probably as good as any. I just couldn't live with the whine.

20. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Yet another absolutely totally satisfied Holy Grail user and I'm definitely deeply in the "Fender reverb" camp as reverb lovers go.

I've heard other people describe issues similar to the ones in the post before mine but I honestly have had nothing but perfection from mine.