• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Good SOLDERED cables with small plugs

stratguy23

Do these exist? I like the plug size of the Lava ELC Cables, but I want to go back to soldered cables, I trust them more, and I always seem to have a cable cutting in and out at the worst possible time even if they work perfectly when I test them and wire up my board.

Elev8gtrman

Would love to know also.

I have tried the solderless thing for 3 years and while I've only had about a half a dozen leads need repaired, I am ready to go back to the stability of soldered cable again.

Hateandwar

I really like the Dimarzio ones. I am in the process of going from solder less to soldered. I can't afford to have cables stop working, especially live.

WolfStache

+1 Last show I played I had to kick some of my pedals that were cutting out. I like the idea but rather just solder em and have them hard set. How large are the mini ELC soldered plugs from LAVA? They have them soar minis too.

jnepo1

Gold Supporting Member
Alex, The only premade gold soldered cables w/ a low profile I can think of are Zaolla cables or Monster instrument cables. Their plugs are proprietary and are very small in profile, but not as small as Lava solderless plugs.

My only concern w/ these plugs are that they don't have a cable retention system found in plugs like Neutrik plugs, and they don't use heatshrink tubing, atleast one that is visible.

Neutrik and G&H plugs are good quality plugs, but G&H plugs are reliant on heatshrink tubing, unlike Neutrik with their cable retention design.

stratguy23

Thanks for the responses guys! I will look into the suggestions proposed so far! The reason I decided to post this thread is I was jamming with a new band that I may join, and my cables were cutting in and out for about half the practice (worked fine at first then started to cut in and out, then started to behave). Since this was kind of an audition, I couldn't be fiddling with my cables, so I had to act like nothing was wrong and keep playing, but I can't have that happen at a gig or something (and this band has a weekly gig at a local bar, so I need reliability).

Farbulous

I just bought all the gear I need including Mogami cable and pancake jacks, soldering gun, solder, etc. enough to make 15 patch cables and all told it cost me around around $100 not including shipping.

There are no decent places online to buy pre-soldered cables at a price that makes much sense when it is so cheap to make them yourself.

vanguard

i just buy the simple, molded Monster cables you can get at GC. they sound great, are low-profile and VERY sturdy (i've tossed 'em around for years and years).

stratguy23

i just buy the simple, molded Monster cables you can get at GC. they sound great, are low-profile and VERY sturdy (i've tossed 'em around for years and years).
I'll have to check those out when I come over! I've just had a lot of stuff come up recently.

tibbon

Bump, I plan to have a buddy solder some cables for me, so what would be some good, smallish plugs?
I'm actually curious as well. I used some GLS pancakes recently, but really haven't dug them in the end and they are kinda bigish. I'd love to find out what Mulder is using.

PLAYLOUD

I just bought all the gear I need including Mogami cable and pancake jacks, soldering gun, solder, etc. enough to make 15 patch cables and all told it cost me around around $100 not including shipping.

There are no decent places online to buy pre-soldered cables at a price that makes much sense when it is so cheap to make them yourself.
where did you get the pancake jacks?

nrandall85

Also, there are many builders in the retailers emporium willing to build them for you at a very reasonable price (ahem!)

Devin

Low Voltage
I got some soldered monorail/pancakes patch cables of of ebay for not much cash i think 5 of them 3"-12" for $40

mc2

True-spec to your length as well.

I've been using lava ELC solderless for a few years with no problems at all-and I've swapped a few pedals in and out. that said, I'm a type A++ freak that is ultra careful with my stuff-especially cords/connections, etc.

mullytron

I have been loving the Mini ELC soldered to Switchcraft 228 (pancake) plugs. That is some good sounding cable.

Trending Topics