Good SOLDERED cables with small plugs

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by stratguy23, Jan 26, 2012.

1. stratguy23

stratguy23 Member

Do these exist? I like the plug size of the Lava ELC Cables, but I want to go back to soldered cables, I trust them more, and I always seem to have a cable cutting in and out at the worst possible time even if they work perfectly when I test them and wire up my board.

2. Elev8gtrman

Elev8gtrman Member

Would love to know also.

I have tried the solderless thing for 3 years and while I've only had about a half a dozen leads need repaired, I am ready to go back to the stability of soldered cable again.

3. teleclem

teleclem Member

Solderedsound makes Evidence Audio with pancake style plugs I think.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  4. Hateandwar

Hateandwar Member

I really like the Dimarzio ones. I am in the process of going from solder less to soldered. I can't afford to have cables stop working, especially live.

5. WolfStache

WolfStache Member

+1 Last show I played I had to kick some of my pedals that were cutting out. I like the idea but rather just solder em and have them hard set. How large are the mini ELC soldered plugs from LAVA? They have them soar minis too.

6. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

Alex, The only premade gold soldered cables w/ a low profile I can think of are Zaolla cables or Monster instrument cables. Their plugs are proprietary and are very small in profile, but not as small as Lava solderless plugs.

My only concern w/ these plugs are that they don't have a cable retention system found in plugs like Neutrik plugs, and they don't use heatshrink tubing, atleast one that is visible.

Neutrik and G&H plugs are good quality plugs, but G&H plugs are reliant on heatshrink tubing, unlike Neutrik with their cable retention design.

7. stratguy23

stratguy23 Member

Thanks for the responses guys! I will look into the suggestions proposed so far! The reason I decided to post this thread is I was jamming with a new band that I may join, and my cables were cutting in and out for about half the practice (worked fine at first then started to cut in and out, then started to behave). Since this was kind of an audition, I couldn't be fiddling with my cables, so I had to act like nothing was wrong and keep playing, but I can't have that happen at a gig or something (and this band has a weekly gig at a local bar, so I need reliability).

8. Farbulous

Farbulous Member

I just bought all the gear I need including Mogami cable and pancake jacks, soldering gun, solder, etc. enough to make 15 patch cables and all told it cost me around around $100 not including shipping.

There are no decent places online to buy pre-soldered cables at a price that makes much sense when it is so cheap to make them yourself.

9. vanguard

vanguard Member

i just buy the simple, molded Monster cables you can get at GC. they sound great, are low-profile and VERY sturdy (i've tossed 'em around for years and years).

10. stratguy23

stratguy23 Member

I'll have to check those out when I come over! I've just had a lot of stuff come up recently.

11. stratguy23

stratguy23 Member

Bump, I plan to have a buddy solder some cables for me, so what would be some good, smallish plugs?

12. tibbon

tibbon Member

I'm actually curious as well. I used some GLS pancakes recently, but really haven't dug them in the end and they are kinda bigish. I'd love to find out what Mulder is using.

13. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

where did you get the pancake jacks?

14. fallout-labs

fallout-labs Member

15. nrandall85

nrandall85 Member

Also, there are many builders in the retailers emporium willing to build them for you at a very reasonable price (ahem!)

16. Fuhgawz

Fuhgawz Member

17. Devin

Devin Low Voltage Supporting Member

I got some soldered monorail/pancakes patch cables of of ebay for not much cash i think 5 of them 3"-12" for $40

18. mc2

mc2 Member

True-spec to your length as well.

I've been using lava ELC solderless for a few years with no problems at all-and I've swapped a few pedals in and out. that said, I'm a type A++ freak that is ultra careful with my stuff-especially cords/connections, etc.

19. stratguy23

stratguy23 Member

20. mullytron

mullytron Supporting Member

I have been loving the Mini ELC soldered to Switchcraft 228 (pancake) plugs. That is some good sounding cable.