Good, solid, small, clean, tube amp needed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gasp100, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

For under $400...
    I sold my Blackface Bandmaster '66 head which started me on this crazy TGP odessy and I miss it still. I've spent a LOT of money on guitars and building partscasters in the interim, but I'm missing a simple, elegant, small clean tube amp to get me back there. I have a Roland Cube 60 en route for all the modeling, headphone, direct out stuff to tide me over.. but I'm going to need something to compliment this during times when only tubes will do and I just want to play and be heard.
    I've given up looking for the super duper channel switching "do it all amp" after trying a Rivera Fandango. I'm thinking crystal, chimey, Fender-ish cleans, 1 * 12, compact with 6L6 (or maybe 6v6???) and some nice pedals to do the rest. Extremely light gigging/rehearsal, 99% home studio and practice use so wattage is a non-issue. I do have a Peavey Sheffield 1x12 semi open cab so I guess a small head is a possibility as well.
    Any thoughts? If there is a KILLER amp close to this range, I guess I could save up for a while. I knew this would happen sooner or later
    :jo

2. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

you will be pleasantly surprised by your cube 60.
    you can still find a bandmaster or bassman around 400.
    i LOVE my blues junior - though el84s
    i also really like a peavy classic 30 in that price range.
    hot rod deluxe is super duper and CAN be found at 450 or even 400 shipped.

go back to my first sentence. cut through the mix? no f*ckingg prob.lem.

3. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

HA! just realized who this is!!!!!!!!!!!!

see you at joe's .. . . !!!!!!!!!

i'll bring back his cube 60 and bring my blues junior as well. .. .

then you get to hear the rott and the heritage as well. . . .

going to bed now. SEE you soon.

by the way. . . your problem is way worse than mine :rotflmao

4. Gasp100

Classic! I've got to make the trip up there... the new amps you guys are bringing in sound like they are going to be amazing.
    Yes, I have problems
    :BEER
    Cheers, Greg

5. Gasp100

I've heard mixed reviews of the spider valve stuff. The Cube 60 is highly regarded (for what it is) and I think has a simpler, cleaner and much more useable user interface.
    I still don't think any modeling (maybe the AxeFX alone) can get me into true, all tube quality. The Cube will get me close and will make recording, headphone practice and grab n go extremely easy.
    But the space is still there for a nice all tube little guy in house as well.
    :dude

6. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

G, that blues Jr. is tough to beat for a grab and go. It takes pedals really well too. Its major drawback is the small cab makes it sound boxy and it won't put out alot of bass. However, run through a lager cab it sounds pretty damn good. Fender made an amp called the two-tone which is a Blues jr. chassis in a larger cab with a 12 and a 10 I believe. That amp sounds GREAT.

Also these pcb amps can be unreliable although Orogeny's has stood the test of time through many gigs.

I still think you should buy my '78 deluxe. I need to sell it but I'd like to keep it in the family. Its a great amp. Weighs about 40 lbs but if you put in a Jensen Neo (I have already proven to myself that it is a GREAT speaker in a deluxe and better than what I have in there now) its 4lbs lighter.

BTW, the new amps won't be in until early next week:(

7. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Ampeg Jet reissue with a better speaker.

8. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Don't laugh but... the Carvin Vintage 33 OR Nomad.

Just forget about the "lead" channel, this things cleans are phenomenal.
    It's a loud little amp, and I thought about trying the mods to the lead channel, but just forgetting that and pretending it is a clean machine works for me.

And it is inexpensive. Not sure if they make the Vintage 33 anymore, but if you can pick up a used one, they are really something.

9. daddyo

daddyo Guest

For $400, I'd get a Traynor YCV 40. The clean channel without the reverb has pretty good fenderish cleans. The reverb while OK will not impress if you've had a real Fender. The lead channel is good at crunchy old school rock tones. Takes pedals well. FX loop (not switched or level controlled) Foot switch for clean, lead channels and solo boost (transparent but pretty big jump). 40 watts, 6L6. $400 is pretty limiting.

10. gizmo

gizmo Member

Seems to me you're describing something in the fender "family" like a DRRI or even a silverface DR. Great grab -n- go amps that work well with pedals. Maybe they're out of your price range but a used DRRI shouldn't break the bank and the tone would probably be worth it.

11. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

Peavey Delta Blues are good amps that are in your budget.

12. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

It all depends who's defining, but I wouldn't really call a DR as a "clean" amp in that anywhere near band or even alone gig volumes is often breakup...just a really NICE breakup :) but not really "clean".

That was what made me think of the Carvin, it stays clean even WAY up...

13. FFTT

FFTT Member

Honestly, try to hold out until you can afford a Gries 5 .
    You can go for either the stock 6V6 configuration or for more clean headroom he builds it with a 6L6.

This is a true studio quality recording/rehearsal amp for under $800
    all tube hand wired and highly recommended.

Also look at the Reeves Custom 12 and talk to him about his
    new 10 watt HI-Gain.

14. stan p

stan p Member

mesa dc2 or subway blues?

15. bynt

bynt Member

I put a Blues Jr. through a 2x12 a while back and couldn't believe the difference. Huge, awesome, chimey. Just rocked. I just kind of blinked. I also had a Peavy Delta Blues for a while and those are great amps for the money. I agree about the mass produced PCB's though. Mostly not a problem but then there's that one frickin time.

Man, I'd definately go for the 78 Deluxe if it sounded right. They get the bad rap for the Master Volume but I've heard some MV silver faces that rivaled any without. Good luck!!!!

16. djbrough

djbrough Member

I agree. I just picked up one this week with the stock speaker. Great clean tones. Buy it used and you'll probably find it at a really sweet price.

17. FFTT

FFTT Member

If you must stay within your posted budget, I agree Pro Junior or Blues Junior (Tweed) if you can find one and mod as budget permits.

18. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

Yea, if you need the power, along with a fairly light chassis with great cleans, then I 2nd the Carvin Nomad. The drive channel is a little dark, although with a tubescreamer it will do Vai/Sach fairly easily, if that's your thing. But where this amp really shines is in the clean channel! The cleans are some of the BEST I've heard, even at higher price points. Very dynamic, a ton of headroom, and responds great with pedals. All in a 40lb chassis with a 12" speaker, and nice lush Accutronics tube reverb. A real bargain indeed! If you do choose to get one then do yourself a favor and check the bias (which should be done with every new amp IMHO), sometimes they are shipped biased cold. A minor issue anyways.

19. gdgross

gdgross Member

My vote is for a (don't laugh until you've played one) crate V15. fantastic little amp. Small, sounds good, and the price is right. 2xEL84. a little on the higher side of the gain pool, but you can dial it down and it still sounds great.

20. dk_ace

dk_ace Member

Although the BJ might be what you are looking for, I prefer the Peavey Classic 20 to it without hesitation if you can find one. It only has a 10" speaker, but it just sounds better to my ears. The BJ doesn't do low volume very well and sounds boxy IMO.

The Crate V16 has a nice sound, and I almost bought one. The reason I didn't is that the front end is very gainy and once you gave it the slightest bit of volume it was dirty. Just a little hairy, but enough that it bugged me since there wasn't a really clean sound in it. May or may not be a problem for you. Go to GC and give one a shot.

If you look around, you can usually find the old Ampeg amps in various configurations for around 450. If it was me, and I had a little time to browse around, I would look for one of those. I see the old Gemini series in that price range all the time.

D