Good Sounding Distortion at unity levels?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Lefty, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Lefty

Lefty Member

I have the AM and Keeley DS-1's and both good but not quite IT. Any thoughts? I'd prefer it not to be much bigger than a Boss box.

2. Skreddy

Skreddy Member

I've not tried either a Keeley or AM-modified DS-1, but I think the stock ones sound very fake and plastic into a clean, quiet amp at unity gain.

:confused:

I imagine that's the nature of those beasts, though I don't doubt Keeley and Analog Man improve them a lot.

Good thing there are three jillion distortions to choose from. I take it you want something with a similar gain and eq to a DS-1? But more "amp-like"? Expect three pages of suggestions.

3. radcliff

radcliff Member

4. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I'm using the newest MI Audio Tube Zone and it has a great master volume it's slightly bigger than a Boss pedal but sounds great!

5. bobotwt

bobotwt Supporting Member

Lefty,

I have used a Keeley ds-1, a standard ds-1, MI Audio Tube Zone Deluxe, and a MI Audio Crunchbox, along with many others. I like the "oomph" (is that even a word? ) of the Keeley but it has a metalic zing that I could not get used to. If your looking for hot-rodded 80's marshall, the crunchbox is the best I've heard. The only downsides are that it doesn't seem to clean up as well as some other od's and it really likes to be run at full bore IMHO. I haven't heard the Analogman DS1 but I want to. I still miss some parts of that ds-1 sound. Could you compare the Keeley and Analogman?

Josh

6. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Definately a Blackstone Mosfet. Extrememly amp like and basically has 3 different marshall amp sounds in one little box. Very touch sensitive and sounds best through a loud amp.

7. Lefty

Lefty Member

The differences are the Keeley is more "true" to the stock DS-1, and can sound a little harsh in the treb dept. And the AM is more "old school" distortion, more midrange and smoother.

IMHO the Keeley may let more of the amp shine through but can be a little bright. Whereas the AM is smoother and not as bright, it does change the character of the amp a little.

8. oxtone

oxtone Member

Hermina Audio Zendrive - big bottom end, harmonic overdrive, but not compressed. Best distortion pedal I've used in 35 years of playing guitar.

That said, my Keeley TS-808 sounds great, in a Tube Screamer way, but with more bottom, and sweeter mids and highs, thanks to the genius's at Keeley.

I also really like my Radial Tonebone Classic - very tube-amp like! Sounds great with most amps in back line situations.

9. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I'm going to put props for my Tonebone Hot British. This thing is marshall in a box, and is an excellent high gain pedal that is very versatile. I have yet to find another pedal to replace it, despite the negatives of it's large size and dedicated wall-wart. The Tonebone folks also give top quality customer service.

Having said all that, I am curious about the Crunchbox

10. bobotwt

bobotwt Supporting Member

I wondered that about the Analogman DS1 since it uses a JRC chip. I was kinda hoping it was kind of a cross between a tube screamer and a DS1. Is that a valid description? If so, I'll have to pick one up.

Josh

11. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

I tend to play OD at Unity my favorites are CMATMODS Tube Slammer and the Gaspedal Carb (I have a DreamTone FX Magic Boost - Water which seemed to carry a nice OD but couldn't do Unity, getting a Level adjust installed on that)

12. Lefty

Lefty Member

I don't know about the TS comparison, but it's night and day between the AM and the stock version. It does have more mids/warmth. If you're looking for a TS with more distortion I think Mike mods the Turbo TS.

13. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

I'm still in large favor of my barber direct drive.

14. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

I'll let you know in a couple weeks when I finish my modded RAT, TS-808, Metal Zone, Zakk Wylde, and SD-1 pedals ;)

I'm a big fan of the Zakk Wylde for crunch sounds. OCD is one of my faves, but we'll see after I get done with the RAT. Prototypes are pointing to a real boutique-killer.