Good speaker choices for 5E3??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tubetone74, Feb 1, 2008.

1. tubetone74

tubetone74 Supporting Member

I'd like to hear um and why you picked that particular 12" speaker.
    Thanks!

2. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

I had a Weber reconed '58 Jensen P12P in my original 58, before I sold it.
    Held it together nice when clean with some nice chime and compressed just enough when pushed. This was the short basket ribbed frame version, no bell cover.

3. eksfiles

eksfiles Member

I have a Weber 12A125-A in my tweed deluxe. Very neutral, with beautiful well-rounded tones from top to bottom. Some might prefer a Weber 12A125, but I have it on good authority that the 12A125-A is the one closest to the original.

Good Luck!

4. tubetone74

tubetone74 Supporting Member

Thanks for suggestions. Wanting to tame the mids some in the amp. Someone told me the Emi Wizard or Texas Heat. Don't know, want to make the best choice.

5. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

Greenback, Celestion Blue, Emi Red Fang, G12H30 are all highly regarded in these amps.

Mine has a Weber 12A125. I have it on good authority that it is indeed closest to the original.

6. FFTT

FFTT Member

While some purists may disagree, I'd upgrade to a better speaker than
    the original.

There's no way Fender would ever ship any of their amps with a $250.00
    speaker simply trying to keep prices down.

Celestion Blue, Weber Blue Dog or Scumback Scumnico, Tone Tubby Hemp Cone.

7. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

I'm dig the Jensen P12N in my Vicky.

8. go7

go7 Member

Well my Mission 5E3 clone came with a Weber 12A125. I`ve always had good success with Weber speakers.I was going to swap out the speaker but the more I play it the more I like it, so it will stay. Great harmonics and overtones. I`m sure the Blue or TT would sound great but I`m just resisting wrecking a great tone.Sometimes the hardest thing to do is to leave it alone. Good Luck!

9. Dale

Dale Member

I like a variety of speakers. My general favorite these days is the Cannabis Rex. Several seem nice though depending on what it is you want to do with the amp and tone.

10. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I am, apparently, one of only two guitarists on the face of the earth not to get all hot & bothered by a Blue. My Beaufort came with one, and I tried to like it, but the Weber 12A125A gives me my sound with a 5E3. Or a 5F2 (with 12" speaker -- like my old Valvetrain 205TB) for that matter.

I've got a Texas Heat, but I can't bring myself to put it in the Clark, because I just love the Weber so much that I can't really see the point in messing with what is, for me, perfection.

11. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

I also didn't care for the Blue in my '58. It was way too middy for me. The Jensen P12P was it for me in that amp.

12. Boogs

Boogs Member

Weber 12A125 is a natural, and a great speaker overall. I also liked the Emi GB12 a lot for a fuller, sweeter sound (though with a bit less texture).

13. 9-Pin

9-Pin Member

I am looking at buildin a 5E3 kit soon, and the most common speakers that came up when i did a search are:
    Weber 12A125
    Jensen P12R, P12Q, P12N
    Celestion G12H30, Blue
    Emi Texas Heat
    Emi Legend 122 Alnico, 1228 Alnico Black Frame
    Tone Tubby Alnico

I hope this helps.

14. Dave

Dave Member

Can somebody please describe the differences between the Celestion Blue and the Weber 12A125 in a 5E3?

I don't mean to hijack, but I think this info would be helpful to the OP as well as myself.

15. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

Eminence made the perfect speaker for that amp, the Legend 122. They have been discontinued but are well worth the effort. Made with AlNiCo magnets and available in either 20 or 35 watts. We have the 35 watter in our clone and players are always pleased with it. ;)

16. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

May not be the best in tone but I have a Celestion Century neo in my '56. Like adding ten watts over a Jensen. That speaker sucks in every other amp I've tried it with but it sounds good to me. I used to have a JBL D120F in it and the Celestion sounds better. Weird but true! My Deluxe with this speaker has almost the same amount of clean headroom as my DR Z Maz jr reverb head into a JBL 15"!

17. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I owned an SDG Vintage Tweed Proluxe (Deluxe but will run 6L6's and GZ34) for a good while (a fellow Gear Pager has it). I'd like to get it back.

Out of all the Speakers I tried with it I like the Mojo British Vintage 30V.Those are supposed to be a Vintage 30 Copy but oddly enuff I didnt like it with a Vintage 30. I tried all kinds of stuff Weber Blue Dog, Weber C12N, Jensen C12N, Carr Kinpin, Celestion Vintage 30, Celestion Greenback, Celestion Neo, Celestion Vintage Neo, Celestion G12H30, and probably a few others. The Mojo was the speaker that was made for that amp.

18. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

The red fang sounds great. You have to pull the chassis to get it in there but I think it is the best speaker for that amp. If you put a blue in there be very careful because you can blow it up and it will cost you big $$$! The red fang is half that price and has a higher rating. To my ears it made a huge improvement over the Jensen (which I blew). It also gives you a little more volume as it is a more efficient speaker.

19. tybone

tybone Member

I have tried a 12A125 and Tone Tubby Alnico in my Trinity 5e3. The 12A sounds a little boxy compared to the TT. For the low Fi sound I go with the 12A125 but most of the time I have the TT in there. Amazing tone where the bottom really stays tight...even with humbuckers.

20. KissTone

KissTone Supporting Member

That's the amp I have (maybe it's yours since I got it here?). Mine has the Weber 12A125-A and a beam blocker. Sounds wonderful.:)

I also have tried it with my Weber 12F150, but that speaker is in a small ext. cab. It also sounds great but with a bit more bottom.