Good Stacking Pedal for My OD Set-up

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by revelati0n, Mar 18, 2008.

1. revelati0n

revelati0n Member

hey fellas.

new to this forum; been on here for a while but registered recently.

after reading all of this stacking OD stuff, i was wondering what OD pedal i should get next.

i have a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET, with a sparkledrive as a boost.

im looking for a midrange OD, something that could do blues, and softrock stuff. the FD2 seems a little harsh for that kind of music.

if it helps, i have a dd-20, hot british distortion, ernie ball VP JR., boss tu-2, and a BBE Sonic stomp.

2. rul8agn

rul8agn Member

Menatone Red Snapper, Timmy, or Subdecay Liquid Sunshine. Or be undecided like me and put all three on your board.:D

3. bestegw

bestegw Member

I have the feeling you're not using your FD2-mos to it's limits, since I can get just about everything I want from mine.

If you're really bothered by pedal GAS and want to buy something, you could try the Keeley modded Blues Driver 2, very good for department you describe. Good thing about that pedal is that it can go from relatively clean to flatout crazy. It sounds killer with my Fender HR Deluxe. It also stacks perfectly with my FD2-mos. Another option would be the Paul Cochrane Timmy.

Good luck!!!

4. thezeng

thezeng Member

the catbread hyperpak is a great stacking od. i have the teaser stallion which is a great mid gain od, and the oscillation is an added bonus (you dont have to use it)

5. ungarn

ungarn Member

Timmy
    Have Robert Keeley mod your Sparkledrive
    Classic rock in a box...MXR Distortion III M-115

Good luck!

6. woude

woude Member

+1

I personally like stacking my timmy with a fulldrive, but it's just lazyness because the fulldrive itself can be set up to sound exactly like it. But.. it sounds great and you'll have a bit more options. By itself, the timmy is not as soft and sweet as the FD in my opinion, but it's a great pedal in it's own right. The boss bluesdriver stacks up great too, but it just enhances those frequencies that I guess you find harsh sounding, so it might not be what you're looking for.

Have you looked into the various Diamond J-Drives? (They're all great) Almost everyone over here buys one after they sell the fulldrive. I had one too and sold it because I had three other overdrives, but it's a very, very good pedal. It has a smooth, clear overdrive with a 'warmth' knob that is great for chords and leads and it also has an independant clean boost that can be used alone or stacked with the drive. The TR version even has a nice treble boost. The warmth knob really did the trick, I was able to dial in sounds that were just on the verge of breakup, great for chords, super transparant, etc With a twist of the warmth knob that sound transformed into a thick smooth (dare I say 'warm') leadsound.

7. VintageToneGuy

VintageToneGuy Member

This may sound crazy and unorthodox for 'pedal stacking' but I drive my Keeley Modded TS9DX with my Analogman Mini Bi-Compressor. I set the OJ side for the right amount of Compression then I turn on the Ross side with the compression turned down to almost zero and the volume to the point where it saturates my TS9DX. Sounds pretty amazing to me!

vtg

8. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

Woude, Just curious but why did you keep the FD2Mosfet instead of the Diamond J-Drive? I'm happy with my FD2Mosfet but have heard nothing but great things about the J-Drive.

9. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

1+!

10. TimH

TimH Member

+1. The Keeley BD2 is perhaps the biggest surprise I've had in an OD pedal....fantastic!

11. giggedy

giggedy Member

Tim/Timmy, although it can be grainy for medium od, so if you want really smooth, try KOT.

I just tried out a BD2 last week, I don't know if it was modded or not, but it sounded good!

12. revelati0n

revelati0n Member

i guess i'll send my sparkle drive in, and get the keeley modded blues-driver.

sounds good.

13. benjisaynomore

benjisaynomore Member

Timmy, it's great for low-medium OD for rhythm and some lead work, but I think rhythm is where it shines! Disclaimer: I just bought the pedal so I've yet to test it to it's full capacity.

But I can already recommend it, it's the most transparent OD i've used to date..and love the rhythm tones i'm getting. Haven't stacked it with FD2 but from what i've heard they do well together.

14. dave s

dave s Member

What amp? All OD pedals aren't created equal. Some sound better or worse depending on the amp it pushes.

dave

15. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

You might look into a Catalinbread Silver Kiss.