Good Stereo For Practice

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by rockford, May 24, 2008.

1. rockford

rockford Member

What is a good sounding & loud (enough) stereo setup for home practice ?
    I really hav'nt had a good stereo for years, and wondered what people were using to play along with tunes. Any feedback welcome, please share your setups.

2. Shawn S.

Shawn S. Member

I just use some "cheap" M-Audio monitors going from iTunes or Transcribe from my computer. They are the BX5a ones. They are really great. I think I paid 200 or 300 for them, but there are good deals out there. The best sounding speakers I've ever used... and they're a "bargain".

I use quotes, cause well, this is the gear page.

3. brad347

brad347 Member

anything that works.

The best thing to look for, IMO, is a CD player that has separate buttons for "skip" and "seek."

Many CD players have a combination button where you press it once and it goes to the next track, and press and hold and it fast-forwards through the tune.

That is a big pain in the ass, because you constantly end up going to the previous track when you're trying to rewind to listen to a passage again.

But basically, I don't use a 'stereo' at all anymore... I use my computer with a pair of studio monitors and certain choice software. That way I can record, play back, slow things down, etc., and the mid-priced KRK V series nearfield monitors I have reproduce everything well enough to hear what I need to hear.

4. Shawn S.

Shawn S. Member

Ditto. I'm using a Mac, so I can use my remote to control from afar, if you can find a way to control simple functions for the audio, it'd really help out a lot.

5. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

I use a Tascam CD Trainer to learn solos that I am struggling with.
    It lets you loop and slow down at a stable pitch.
    It's handy, and easy to use. There are various software options to do the same thing.

6. jmontgomery

jmontgomery Supporting Member

"I use a Tascam CD Trainer to learn solos that I am struggling with.
    It lets you loop and slow down at a stable pitch."

+1

7. sausagefingers

sausagefingers Supporting Member

ipod + Vox amPlug

Its working for me, if you don't mind practicing with headphones.

8. rockford

rockford Member

Looking for ideas about amp, speakers, small system that sounds good.

9. StanG

StanG Member

I use a $150 berhinger keyboard amp. It has multiple inputs allowing you to hook up multipe devices and leave them hooked up. Drum machine, cd player, ipod, laptop, and boss recorder. sounds good enough and has a headphone jack. Right now I'm using windows media player to slow stuff down. For basic playing along an ipod works great.

10. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

11. johnboggs

johnboggs Member

I practice into a POD 2.0 plugged into a TASCAM PA-20 stereo power amp into Radio Shack Realistic Minimus-7 speakers with a TASCAM CD-GT1 trainer in the mix for backing tracks, isolating and slowing down sections. I'm very happy with the results and so is my wife ('cause she doesn't have to listen). You can also play the POD thru headphones. The amp models are great!

12. townsend

townsend Member

I'm on the same page with you. I have a old Sony CDP-C69ES carousel player (bought it in early 90s or thereabouts), and it has separate buttons for rewind, fast forward, previous track, and next track (in addition to the standard buttons--pause, stop, play, etc.).

It even has a headphone jack w/ volume control. It will probably break down and die soon, but I think it is the ideal (except I prefer 1-disc player, not the carousel type) machine for listening to CDs to pick out songs. W/ the headphone option, I can listen to CDs without firing up the stereo system if need be, pause it, and work out the song.

I'm not even sure you can find CD players w/ separate buttons for "skip" and "seek" today . . . at least they are not common.

13. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

I had an old sony CD player that I used for the loop function, and it was great, I have tried looping on a DVD player and have actually broken them, so am really careful not to loop on a DVD player.

14. townsend

townsend Member

A unit that is "semi" audiophile quality that appeals to me is the Marantz CD5001 single disc player:

[​IMG]

http://us.marantz.com/Products/1154.asp

Pros
    1) Quality of the unit. It costs 300.00, but I think it is a fairly high quality unit (of course, I wouldn't use a CD player costing > $4-500 to pick out songs). It can function as a fine player in your stereo system.
    2) It has a built-in headphone amp. I've toyed w/ the idea of using a pair of "open" (on the ear) headphones to listen to a portion of a song, pause, and then play it on the guitar. This way, you don't even have to fire up the whole stereo system w/ speakers. I find I hear more details in the music when I listen by headphones than by loudspeakers.
    3) On the remote, there is a quick replay button, which returns to a position 10 seconds before the current playback position---good for going back over a short phrase. (No, I don't like the fact this button isn't on the front of the unit, but at least it's somewhere!).

Cons
    1) Pricey (but it can function as a CD player in a mid-level stereo system).
    2) It does NOT have separate buttons for "seek (previous or next track)" and "skip (reverse & forward)."

Does anybody know of other CD players (perhaps "rack" units???) that would be suitable for picking out songs?

15. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

16. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

You really need a different system for practice vs listening to music. We've all given you practice oriented ideas.
    For an audiophile experience, you need something altogether different.

17. rockford

rockford Member

Lots of good suggestions, I was never looking for audiophile sound quality,
    just some ideas for a decent sounding system.

18. HammyD

HammyD Member

I have used an AMC preamp with a multimedia mix mode.

http://www.amchome.com/?q=node/94

It lets you attach a stereo input such as a Pod or line level stereo amp sim of your choice and have it blend with any other source selected, i.e. cd player.

I would put on the backing track, set it to repeat the track or even a small section of the track (as their cd player can do that) and plug the guitar into a Yamaha DG stop connected to the preamp. Either headphones or powered monitors completed the equation.