Good Strat pick-ups? Ideas/Opinions needed!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by YoungMansBlues, Apr 12, 2008.

1. YoungMansBlues

YoungMansBlues Member

I have this bastard Strat that I am going to completely redo this summer, with a lefty neck (righty player, righty body) new pots, pickgaurd, tuners, scooped (maybe locking) tremolo, the whole nine yards. My question is this: what pick ups should I get? I'm looking for a real pure "Fender" tone, a guitar that really sounds like an old strat or tele. Any Ideas for a reasonable price?

Also, was thinking about just one at the bridge, one at the neck tele-style. Pros and cons?

2. dunara

dunara Member

By having no middle pickup, you're missing out on a lot of great tones. If you are wanting to have the bridge/neck combination available to you, there are various ways of accomplishing this with a conventional strat pickup configuration without having to lose the middle pickup. The middle pickup on its own may not be everybody's first call strat tone, but it can sound great - check this out:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwYmQ2F-Zhk

As far as pickups are concerned, there are as many opinions as there are pickups! If you do a TGP search on the subject, you'll encounter an almost baffling number of makes and models, along with their die-hard advocates. My own choice is Lace Holy Grails, but I'm sure the Fralin/Lollar/SD/Muy Grande/Don Mare/Kinman/Lawrence/Tonerider and, yes, Fender alternatives are all pretty good. :AOK

3. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

Lollar Blondes!

4. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Member

Bastard strat you say?

:D

[​IMG]

5. TheJudge

TheJudge Member

Personally, I really like the Fender CS '69 pickups. I put them in the last strat I built, and I was very impressed. I find it much easier to get a Hendrix-type tone with these pickups. I would not hesitate to buy another set.

Good luck on your search.

6. codyj84

codyj84 Member

I really like Rocketfires and/or Curtis Novaks..... in no particular order...

If youre on a budget, try Tonerider. Theyre great too!

7. trwigg

trwigg Member

If you want it to sound like a Fender put Fender p/u's in it. If you want to make it sound Fender-ish try Lindy Fralin or for something completely different get a set of Rio Grande's. Good luck.

8. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

for typical strat tones(non mark knofler) and ive had a lot of single coils i would get those custom shop 69 or the Suhr singles....duncans are cool but a lot to choose from........
    if its hot u need ive been recomended the fralin sp43's

9. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

I have these in an 87 strat and I love them... here is a clip of that strat (lead track.. rhythm track was LP)

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=5910236

amp was D 13 sjt 10/20 and no pedals were used

10. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

You'd be hard-pressed to get a good-ole fashioned Strat or Tele tone with a locking trem. Having just the Tele neck pickup to derive vintage tones... you're missing out on those sounds for which vintage Teles are known - the bridge, and the funky out of phase tone when both Tele pups are used. Best case with your setup - find a bridge humbucker that splits well for a Fender-ish tone when you tap a coil, one that splits and pairs well with a single coil pickup... (Suhr Aldrich comes to mind). As for neck pickup, I'd probably opt for a Strat neck pickup - a Fralin or Lollar, over a lone Tele neck pickup, but that's just me....

Good luck with it,

jb

11. Backless

Backless Member

Checkout Copperheads...especially the '59s. Very reasonably priced.