• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Good Tele Bridge Pickup

Weathered

Gold Supporting Member
I'm going to be putting together an Esquire-styled Tele in the coming weeks/months, and I was hoping to get some advice about a good pickup.

The guitar in question is to be an ash body, maple neck/maple board, either a Callaham or Wilkinson 3 saddle bridge.

I'm looking for something that's going to growl through my AC30 - this is built for rock and roll, and not much else. I've read much about the Nocaster pickups - anything else someone would recommend? I'm hoping to get close to a P-90 styled midrange growl.

Miles

Well, it will have some high end roll off, but I always liked the sound of SD Quarter Pound Bridge pup. P-90s really have a sound their own but you will be sure to get a lot of midrange growl with a sweet moderate/high output single coil in a tele bridge through your AC30. AC30 circuits love teles.

If I were building an esquire-ish guitar, I would get either a SD Hot for Tele or a Fralin Bridge pickup.

mainsale

The Fralin Blues Special is probably my favorite Tele bridge pickup. It is Phat sounding but not too hot to lose that all important Tele "twang".

cameron

For nigh-P90-ish growl you probably can't beat the Harmonic Design Super 90.

I have the Super 90 as the bridge pickup on two of my guitars. One of them is an Esquire-style thing. It's not a traditional Tele pickup, but it sounds really good. And the individually adjustable pole pieces are a nice bonus.

Weathered

Gold Supporting Member
For nigh-P90-ish growl you probably can't beat the Harmonic Design Super 90.

I have the Super 90 as the bridge pickup on two of my guitars. One of them is an Esquire-style thing. It's not a traditional Tele pickup, but it sounds really good. And the individually adjustable pole pieces are a nice bonus.
I've basically decided to go with the Super-90. I figure I can always build more Teles to try out other pickups. ;)

shallbe

Deputy Plankspanker
Platinum Supporting Member
I've basically decided to go with the Super-90. I figure I can always build more Teles to try out other pickups. ;)
I have the HD Super 90 in my Suhr Esquire. It is fantastic.

However, DON'T overlook the Dimarzio Virtual Vintage Hot T. I just put one of these in my ash/maple Suhr Tele and it is flat out AMAZING. I mean really amazing. It is loud, big, dynamic AND noiseless. From a boutique-leaning guy like myself, I'm very impressed. It is louder than the HD Super 90, and easily keeps up with the full sized humbucker in the neck of the guitar. In fact, I had to raise the neck bucker to compete with its output. Add to all this the fact that it does not sound overwound and has Alnico 2 magnets---gravy.

DANOCASTER

Silver Supporting Member
Fred Stuart Lapwrap - it's hot, almost P-90ish, but still retains SOME tele

A 1/4 pounder is muddy.. you dont want that

joesnewmatch

Music Is My Soul Food
Silver Supporting Member
I have a "stock" Fralin bridge pu in my '52RI Tele and it always makes me smile.

chris77

I am a tele lover but in NO way a tele purest...I love the Rio Grande Dirty Harry I put in one of mine. Lots of balls and bark!

Trending Topics