Good tracks for testing a stereo/sound system's abilities...

skhan007

Silver Supporting Member
Guys- I'm interested in doing some testing of a couple stereo set ups. Both at home and in my car, so I was interested in suggestions for songs/tracks that have a really big dynamic range. Perhaps lots of good percussion, keys, maybe horns, strings, etc. My goal is do some A/B testing with different components, eq settings, and configurations to see which I like best. I'm a rock guy, so most of my music collection is unfortunately limited to guitar, bass, drums, and vox.

If you guys were going to test out some home or car stereo gear, what tracks do you think would test frequency range, bass response, clarity of high end, etc.?

Please post any samples, if clips are available. Thanks in advance!

Back when I was doing reinforcement, Steely Dan's Two Against Nature was a popular choice, and I used it myself. I also recommend the Bowie track Ashes To Ashes.

Last edited:

GGinMP

Tom's Diner (DNA remix version) by Suzanne Vega

Psycho Killer by the Talking Heads, but it's got to be the Stop Making Sense version.

Gclef

queensryche empire and promised land.

rush hemispheres

pink floyd one of these days, the final cut.

anything hendrix or the beatles for that matter.

yes fragile.

king crimson discipline and three of a perfect pair

led zeppelin tracks like tea for one. ones that have a lot of depth and space.

i tended to go for 70's rock with great production. they really knew how to make sounds jump out of the speakers back then.

** note: i may or may not have been stoned outta my gourd when testing my systems.**

kiki_90291

Silver Supporting Member
I just sold an old stereo and plugged in my iphone to demo it to the buyer - I just hit shuffle and Al Stewart's "Year of the Cat" came on - it sounded amazing (I almost kept the stereo!).

tonewoody

Edgar Winter Group - Frankenstein
Dire Straits- Money for Nothing (Intro)
Tchaikovsky- 1812 Overture (Cannon Intro)

derekd

Silver Supporting Member
I have a buddy who owns a recording studio. He went through Berklee's online program for recording engineers. He said they used Steely Dan albums frequently for assignments. Lots of detail there.

Cactus Bob

Silver Supporting Member
Return to Forever's "Romantic Warrior" album works well.

"Medieval Overture", "Sorceress" and "The Magician" will really give your system a workout.

StratoCraig

It took until comment #13 for someone to mention Dark Side of the Moon? Wow. I suppose Year of the Cat comes close, since that's another album Alan Parsons worked on, and it does sound really good.

I concur about Steely Dan records, though. They've always been fiends for perfect sound. And some really good Deutsche Grammophon symphony orchestra recordings.

Otto Tune

Something from a symphony makes the most sense.
Except classical music has such a huge dynamic range and no compression, in a car it's frustrating.
Dynamic range, soft to loud, and then there's frequency range. And then there's artifacts.
None the less, I used to take this CD into stores to test speakers. They hated me. "Turn that down!"
It's "Queen, Five Alive with George Michael" Cut two "Killer". If a stereo can reproduce everything in that song without clipping or distortion, it's pretty darn good. IMO.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom