Good trade? USA HRD + $350 for '77 Twin Reverb?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ohreallynow, Apr 2, 2015.

1. ohreallynow

ohreallynow Member

The other guitar in my band wants offered to trade me the twin (100w MV / Push / Pull) for my usa HRD which I'm kind of getting tired of. I was looking for a more vintage type amp - twin is in decent shape, new speakers but everything else seems decent - although its very heavy.

2. Custom50

Custom50 Member

Personally, I don't think so. That era of twin isn't particularly valuable. But if you like it more than the HRD then go for it.

3. zenas

zenas Member

Yeah it's heavy Twin Reverbs are. I paid 300 for the same amp but mine's the most beat to ****, dirty amp I own. Only reason I bought it was the price already had a 1965 BFTR. Plan was to clean it up, service it and sell it. But the thing sounds fantasic so I'm keeping it.

You can almost plan on having to replace the electrolytics and modding the bias balance system on one of those. No big deal about 80 bucks in parts but if you need a tech figure at least 200 dollars if you find a good tech that does it right the first time.

Tech tip. If he's one of those morons who wants to test the original electrolytics (in that amp) and only replace the bad ones tell him to go pound sand and move along.

If it sounds good I'd trade that PC board HRD and 350 cash for it in a heartbeat. With proper sevice it's a way better amp.

4. Vic Interceptor

Vic Interceptor Member

Your HRD is worth $300-400 depending on condition.
    a '77 TR is worth $200-300. Twins in general are a dime a dozen these days, but anything after '72 is a boat anchor. A hard to sell, hard to carry, damn hard to sell boat anchor.

I would say he give you $350 and the TR for your HRD.

5. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

A master volume 77 Twin with replaced speakers is worth about $500. If you like the amp then do the trade but certainly don't put $350 on top. The amp plus $100-150 is more than fair. A straight trade is even better.

6. soldersucker

soldersucker Member

Three fiddy? Ha you are doing him the favor.

7. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

No. "The Twin" is an amp I especially dislike. The tone and reliability (especially with the red knob era) was iffy at best.

Pass... in a big way.

8. sa1126

sa1126 Member

Twins will never sell for < $400-500 unless they are rusted out or broken. $350 + your amp is an average deal but I would shoot for say $200 cash + your amp, tops.