• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Good Tremolo Effect

I've been wanting to get a nice Tremolo pedal for those old school CCR and Doors sounds. I'd love the Strymon Flint but being recently divorced, just can't justify spending that kind of money right now. I ordered a Modtone Harmonic Tremor from Reverb but the seller refunded my money because the pedal was already purchased. I've already got a good reverb effect (Digitech Polara) so I really don't need a 2 in 1 reverb/trem pedal like the Flint or the Fender Tre-Verb. Any suggestions on a good reverb effect would be greatly appreciated. Should I just go with the tried-and-true Boss TR-2? I'd like to keep the cost around $100 at the most. Thank you for any suggestions.

Eric

M

Member 202408

To be honest, you’re not missing out on anything with the Strymon Flint. It is a very practical pedal and a good quality tool, and I have used it a lot myself, but the sounds are not quite among the best on the market. In fact, a Boss TR-2 is in no way a worse trem. I suggest trying it out. And BTW, the current production model (at least mine) has 0 volume drop or noise issues, like the older ones reportedly did. It is really good. But all trems are different (which is why I buy them all the time).

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray175

The Boss TR-2 is great. You can definitely find them for < $100 used.

If you can go slightly higher, if you can find a used Basic Audio Throbby, they tend to be about $120 used. It's been my favorite trem pedal for years and years now.
+1 on the TR-2. Mine has given great service over the last few years. When I bought a Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb last year I kept the TR-2 on my pedalboard because it wasn't possible to bring the TMDR’s on board tremolo down to the slow pulsing speeds I sometimes use (think Richard Thompson). No hesitation recommending the TR-2

longgonedaddy

Silver Supporting Member
voodoo lab is always one of recommendations for simple, affordable tremolo. But lately, I’ve really been digging my Fulltone Supatrem Jr. you can probably find one for around $100 used.

and I’m with @Johnny Fuzz in that the flint isn’t all that special. It is very good, but I don’t believe that it should be anyone’s default pick. Except for the harmonic trem. That’s been the best one I’ve played.

RYAN1987M

Silver Supporting Member
I'm a huge fan of the SolidGoldFX Stutter-Lite - it's a simple and fantastic bias-style trem effect. Really easy to dial-in, sounds awesome, and a bulletproof build. They're quite cheap used too!

I R P

You may want to check out the Mr. Black Mini Tremolo. If you can stretch the budget a little, you should also check out the Supro Tremolo pedal— it has a gain knob and amp topology, so with the trem controls dialed out it’s essentially a Supro/Valco AIAB/dirt pedal (nice bonus).

Vcaster

TGP’s own @Tri Pedal Reviews has done a number of demos and reviews on tremolos.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
I’m filling alll my tremolo need with the Mr Black mini tremolo. The Boss TR-2 is a slam dunk as well. The Dano Tuna Melt has always been a sleeper winner on par with the Guyatone VT-3 which is near impossible to find these days.

babbyb

Silver Supporting Member
Voodoo Lab 4-knob is great, Dano Tuna Melt is very good for cheap.

monkeybrains

Boss tr2 is really great. If you go used make sure you get one after they fixed the volume drop issue. I think it was 2013. Theres some threads about in on tgp.
My fave trem pedal is catalinbread semaphore. Can be got used for under 100. I think I paid 70 for mine a year or so ago.

Trending Topics