Good tube head/cab rigs that sound the same in the bedroom as they do in the arena.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by HereIGoAgain, Oct 14, 2008.

1. HereIGoAgain

HereIGoAgain Member

I'm looking for my next amp. I have a Laney VC30 combo that's nice, but I have to wind it up to get the goods. (Not a bad thing, just can't really make friends by doing that at midnight in a 4-plex apartment building.)

I'm looking for a killer rig that sounds the same in the bedroom as it would in Madison square garden - something I don't have to run wide-open.(Looking to jam eventually, so it'll get the chance to run wide open.) I've been told the Marshall JCM800 is like that, and I believe the MESA/Boogie recto-based amps (D-rec, Stiletto, etc) are familiar with that procedure.

Or should I just grab whatever I want and run it through a Hot Plate?

Any thoughts?

2. OrangeAD30TC

OrangeAD30TC The venerable H.W.

Here is your problem. Human hearing does not follow a linear trend. as volume increases sesetivity to certain frequencies especially higher ones also increases.

3. jim1jam

jim1jam Supporting Member

you need an amp that is designed with power scaling or has a really good master volume - works much better than an attenuator - if you want to get the sounds all the way down to bedroom levels

4. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Totally unreasonable request..

My best estimate...

For rock music.....

Elmwood Modena 90

Still, will not be the be-all, end-all.

emee

5. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

+1

I'd highly recommend the VHT Sig:X. It has the best master volume I've heard on a 100 watt tube amp.

6. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Are you playing arenas? If so, I would imagine that you would have some better advice at your disposal moreso than some internet homebodies...

Emee

7. HereIGoAgain

HereIGoAgain Member

Nah. I'm just a wannabe like most everyone else on this board. LOL. However, I'd still like to use a decent amp. ;) I kid, I kid. Peace, ok?

The world is full of great amps that you either *should* turn up loud (I have one) or *have* to be turned up loud.

I do agree with the concept of nonlinearities of human hearing. I find myself adjusting my EQ when I change my amp volume. When it's quieter, I have to turn up the mids, for example. I realize that not many amps will sound *exactly* the same at different volumes, but I'm looking for something that doesn't absolutely have to be cranked and spanked in order to sound right. For example, one day at the music store I used to frequent, there was a kid demoing a JCM800 (modded with the JJ high-gain package) through a 4x12 cab. The store owner and I could actually talk over the kid's playing, and the amp still sounded good.

Thanks so far. I'll look at the VHT and the Elmwood. Any other good MV amps, built-in attenuator amps, or amps with power scaling to look at?

8. nitrox1

nitrox1 Member

Look into Reinhardt amps. They are available with power scaling.

Add an attenuator and you can bring down the volume by using a little of each instead a lot of either, which tends to affect the amps tone.

Bob recommended an airbrake.

John

9. Strat

Strat Member

can't happen

10. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

Get an ultimate attenuator from Ho direct. Its the best thing I have tried. Its basically a load box with a solid state re amp system.

I would keep the amp you already have.

You will never get speaker breakup at lower volumes.

Having a good attenuator opens up your amp options quite a bit.

dk

11. HereIGoAgain

HereIGoAgain Member

I'm not really interested in the speaker breakup sound for the bedroom. (Although I am appreciative of the concept: broken-in Greenbacks = awesome.)

My combo has Jensen speakers, and I think the particular model is known to be rather efficient, so I'm not sure what kind of breakup I'd get even running wide open.

(Oh, I'm keeping my combo. It's an amp worth keeping. I'm no longer interested in flipping gear. My days of doing that are long over. However, one can always add new stuff, right?)

12. freaktone

freaktone Member

Divided by thirteen - JRT 9/15. Best small amp with "Big Amp Sound" at decent volume - not "low" but decent. The amp sounds great at ANY level though.

13. voojo

voojo Gold Supporting Member

How big is your bedroom? Technically you can crank a Hiwatt 400 in your bedroom.

14. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

I would say try an Ultimate Attenuator. I think its more of a re-amper than an attenuator, somebody please correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not sure if I remember that right. But anyways people on here swear by them. There is a clip of a guy playing a marshall through his attenuator and this is at speaking level. It sounds awesome. You also hear about guys doing clips while their kids are sleeping in the next room and it sounds like a marshall running at high volumes. here's the thread.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=405505&highlight=ultimate

My advice would be to get one of those.

15. twisty571

twisty571 Supporting Member

I actually sold my Laney AOR for a Marshall with a ss pre amp & tube power section (opposite of most hybrids of today) and it dusts it,both 30 watt tube amps & I can skip the pre amp and go straight to the tubes if I want. I can play at a low volume with the Marshall and it sounds good on both channels,I also have a MOEN Buffalo I am fairly impressed with. It is a 3 band EQ/Boost/Attenuator/Volume/Headphone amp & more. Great $50 pedal IMO

16. shane88

shane88 Member

if ur big enough to play an arena u can afford 2 amps :tapedshut

17. mitch236

mitch236 Member

Get an attenuator. The best seem to be the Ultimate attenuator which is a design by Mr Ho. You can buy an attenuator from Mr Ho directly and save some money. Once you have an attenuator, you can buy almost any amp you want. That would be my advice. Don't limit your amp choices based on things like power scalling or a great MV.

18. jim1jam

jim1jam Supporting Member

Check out the Soultone amps - the best vintage Marshall tones with modern improvements like a true bypass effects loop that can be lifted completely out of the circuit that works oustanding, power scaling ..etc
    i believe he is still running a special here on the gearpage too! Killer amps

:AOK

19. rockin robbie

rockin robbie Supporting Member

if you can find a CAROL-ANN OD-2R,you will never look back.sincerely, rob

20. hamfist

hamfist Member

The Orange Rockerverb 50 and 100's have superb Master volumes, and sound superb at any volume. Definately much better than both of the 50W JCM800's I have owned at low volume stuff.