Good U2 specific presets for Kemper KPA

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by maydaynyc, Apr 29, 2016.

1. maydaynyc

maydaynyc Supporting Member

I've been through the rig exchange and most of them sound terrible - way over-processed and not accruate delay settings. Anyone have some well crafted presets for specific U2 hits meant to be used live?

2. rustolium

rustolium Member

I cant post the rig as it uses a commercial profile. I don't know why people so over process and multi layer delays. The Edge's core tone is really quite simple. It's how you play with a dotted 8 at different tempos. People get pretty personal about that and this is just my interpretation.

Anyway, Since the 4.0 drop you can put a light modulated delay in front of a light broken up AC30 model. If you want, put a compressor in front of that to get that little bit of attack. Delay in front of the amp is key here. Over the years I always had a 2290 in front of real AC30 or /13s to get this type of sound.

I used M Britt AC30 Top Boost and didn't touch the amp settings.
    - Stomp B = compressor
    - Stomp C = Trebble booster (bypassed, just incase I want to peek out the top a bit)
    - Stomp D = Legacy delay mix 50%, note 1 and 2 both 3/16 (1/8 dotted), oddly I have all the mod parameters at 0, but with the right chording and neck play I get just a hint of modulation when needed. Feedback 39%

- If you want shimmer, get a H9 and stick it in the loop.
    - Finally a little Hall reverb to blur the trails. Not a lot.

- Strat in position 2
    - rough edge of pick and dig into accent notes

Tempo at 120 will get you to most classic U2. IE Bad, Pride, etc. (400ms)
    Tempo a bit higher and you can hit Streets no problem. (350ms)

BTW, this rig with the delay off sounds great, raw, and beefy. I can play it all day and not get bored. Moral of the story, get a base AC30 light rock tone then add delay.

This of course all applies to the way I play so YMMV. Hope this helps.

3. maydaynyc

maydaynyc Supporting Member

Thanks that's very helpful, I'll give it a try. I have found the AC30 models in the rig exchange the least inspiring, least accurate models of all the amps. I haven't found one that has the chimely lush top end and transparent dirt, for lack of a better description. I have been meaning to purchase an mbritt pack so this might be the catalyst to do it.

4. mattball826

mattball826 Member

Don't feel bad... Most modelers have a tough time with accurate versions of AC30's and or me Mesa anything. Marshall and Fender are pretty good usually with most any modeler. Vox, Mesa? meh

5. rustolium

rustolium Member

Everything you are saying are the exact problems I have had in the past. The M Britt and some TAF profiles fixed those issues. They are a step above and translate live. Completely worth it, in fact, so good I have not bothered profiling my own amp collection yet.

6. Viabcroce

Viabcroce Member

I'd not say that the Profiler as a modeller (?) has issues with the AC30 sound, at least not macroscopically. The Profiler sounds like the profile you use, your technique and the rest of your rig.
    With a very few exceptions, the difference between a rig and its profile are smaller than the difference between two amps, or the same amp played the week after.

Also, the upcoming delays will completely re-write the paradigm, both with regards to the current options on the device and other machines.
    My suggestion would be: don't sweat over finding too complicated sounds now... unless you have a big time doing so :D

7. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

Did you try Maurizio's U2 rigs?