Good Value Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fve1293, Jul 1, 2008.

1. fve1293

fve1293 Member

The heading kinda says it all........i suppose i'm looking for a good amp under $1000.........any suggestions?

2. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

You can get a wide variety of GREAT amps for under a grand. Here are some of my favorites:

High power
    - Black or silver-faced Dual Showman or DS Reverbs. Should be under 650.

- Black or silver-faced Bassman and Bandmasters. Considerably less for the silverfaced variety which can be easily "blackfaced"

- Fender Bantam Bass - can be had for under 400 bucks and converted to Fender Bassman pretty easily. Change the speaker baffle and you've got a GREAT amp for dirt.

- Many other Fenders from the silver-face era. There are lots of other old Fenders that can be had relatively inexpensively. They're extremely easy to have serviced.

- Peavey Classic 50 or 30. Excellent all-around do-just-about-anything amps. Great tones on the cheap! Can be found anywhere for well under 500 bucks.

Lower Powered amps
    - Ampeg Mercury (6V6 version in particular) - Octal pre-amp tubes for big chewy midrange; excellent cleans and killer trem all for under 650.

- Magnatone 213 Troubadour - get a decent speaker in there and get ready for gorgeous, full-bodied cleans, rippin overdrive when opened up and the coolest pitch-modulating vibrato ever! Prices have gone up considerably lately but if you bide your time, you can find one for well under a grand. Note that you'll almost certainly need a speaker change (the old alnico Oxfords of this variety that I've heard are almost all worn out).

- Ampeg Gemini I or II - Gorgeous cleans and excellent grind. Can do anything other than cookie-monster-metal. Shouldn't run more than 750.

3. joel98z

joel98z Member

+1 on the PV classics.I have one c50 212 with greenbacks and it sounds awesome.

But really depnds on type of sounds you are looking for

4. captainchair

captainchair Member

I've heard that the Peavey Windsor is actually decent and its all tube 100-watt for under $400..

Some music man amps are highly sought after and can range from about $500-700.

5. Mudder

Mudder Member

Peavey VTM

I have a VTM60 that's a rock and blues machine, a bit Marshall-esque. These are ugly but can be found under $400 frequently.

6. 5E3

5E3 Member

What style of music? Do you play mostly single coil or humbuckers?

7. GuiltySpark

GuiltySpark Supporting Member

+1 on the Classic 50. The clean side is Fenderish and a great pedal platform. The dirty side is Marshallesque. Has good pre-post volume controls, reverb, effects loop... did I mention they usually run about $400 used?

It works well for everything except detuned and extreme metal (I don't know an open back 2x12 that does sound right for that). I use it with strats, Les Pauls, and Jacksons, active and passive. Pedals and none. It just works well for cheap $$. If you need metal, look elsewhere. Otherwise, spend that $600 saved on other stuff. It's also available in a 4x10 format, but I preferred the 2x12 sound.

overview, pt 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH0OUa3LLJg
    overview, pt 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQt3aiAszNY

8. meterman

meterman Member

A used TopHat Club Royale or Club Deluxe 1x12 generallly run under a grand and are phenomenal amps, extremely toneful and well built. Undervalued on the used market IMHO and therefore good deals can be had....

9. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

AC30's are selling new and used under a grand, my personal favs are the fender combo's, which used can go as low as $350-400. For a 1000 dollars you can get a lot of amp!

10. studiodunn

studiodunn Member

Michael Whitney will make you a brand new custom head for well under $1k that will smoke anything mentioned.

A silver face Bassman is one of the best values ever.

11. joshsage

joshsage Member

under a k.... umm fender twin and deluxe reissues...i like them, pending what you are wanting to do.
    Traynors are great w/ their 2 year even if you break it warranty and they sound good in the price range.

MAJOR +1 on peavey classics, I love those too! The peavey classic 100 heads were AWESOME! Also... a JC120 with a preamp in front of it...

I HATED the Windsor, no offense to anyone but I just flat out disliked that amp more than most... Not hating on peavey, cause I love the classics!

Let us know a type and hopefully we can be a little more precise in the area you want to shoot for!
    Josh

12. trazan

trazan Member

The guy only wants a cheap, good sounding guitar amplifier. If he wants a new head that will smoke anything, he could try therapy. And acid.

13. HHB

HHB Member

beat me to it! I paid $900 for a minty '99 CR w/ tuki cover, the most satisfying purchase I've ever made by leaps and bounds!

14. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

They're damn near impossible to find, but an old Traynor pretty much blows anything else you're going to find out of the water. I've got a '73 Bass Mate combo - it's about 20W - through a 15" closed-back cabinet. I think I paid $200 for the amp, another $50 for the D130F I have in there (okay, that was kind of a better deal than I should have gotten)... and I've been melting faces and making other guitar players stupidly jealous ever since.

15. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Used VHT PB45, Super 30, 50/ST or 50/12
    Used THD Univalve or BiValve
    Fender Showmans
    Traynor YBA-1, among others
    Music Man amps
    Yamaha DG-series amps (digital)
    etc...

16. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

+1!

Also, Alessandro Working Dog series....

17. fve1293

fve1293 Member

single coil.........peavey classic 50, eh?

18. mbratch

mbratch Member

Less than $1,000? There is a huge, I mean HUUUGE number of valve amp choices. Too numerous to mention without knowing more:

What style do you like to play?
    What features do you require in the amp (e.g., built-in overdrive? Reverb? multi-channel? FX loop?)
    Do you want new, or is used OK?
    What's commonly available in Dublin (I'm supposing you want the amp to be easy to obtain ;))

19. Trout

Trout Member

For a 5E3 Deluxe type amp,

Richter for under $900.00, I think she is still offering free shipping on a summer special on her ebay listings.

Excellent amp, pretty good price, and loads of positive reviews, There is one in the emporium at an outstanding price.

As mentioned above, For 1000.00 and under, there are loads of choices both new and used.

20. fve1293

fve1293 Member

ok, style varies from blues to metal to psychedelic rock and i can't really narrow it down anymore.......i'm also flexible enough features-wise because i'm also purchasing a line 6 pod xt(multi-effects) next month, and i don't mind if its used, as long as its in good shape.

I REFUSE TO BUY AN AMP IN DUBLIN, AS IT WOULD BE CHEAPER TO BUY IT ABROAD AND GET IT SHIPPED OVER.......

if you don't believe how expensive ireland is, check out:

www.waltons.ie

not only does it have a sh*t selection but its also ridiculously expensive(remember 1 euro= $1.58)........

Any ideas for where i can get a good amp shipped to ireland(alot of american sites don't do that)......???