Good value silicon fuzz face

dotlikeimpact

Yes, I used the search before posting; just wanted to see if the field had changed much lately. Plus, these sorts of threads are usually fun.

Looking for a good silicon fuzz face. The big Hendrix one caught my eye/ear. Anything else you'd recommend in that price range?

Is the lack of 9v a bid deal with these? Don't FF types usually last forever with a carbon battery?

I don't dig the mini ones, largely because they're small, and I have big, dumb feet that love to change settings when I stomp. I use mostly filtertrons these days, going into a bumping el84 amp.

JRC4558Dude

Big thumbs up for the Hendrix FF.

Sounds great, and very affordable.

And yes, they will last for months on a battery.

EricPeterson

I had the MXR classic it was a great fuzz I sold it when I was moving on some other pieces, caught the bug again and picked up a hartman Silicon, it is a great fuzz too, both can be had used on the cheap.

Craig Gates

I have the Eric Johnson Fuzz Face, and I really like it - supposedly it's voiced a bit gainier, which I like. It's $50 more than the big Hendrix FF.

In the FF vein, I've tried the MXR classic fuzz, the Hartman, the silicon mini FF, the limited edition Dunlop Hendrix fuzz, and a Bonamassa FF over the last several years - I prefer the Eric Johnson to all those.

The EJ and an Analogman Peppermint Fuzz are my only two fuzzes right now. :)

ChicagoJoe

Look into the If 6 Was 9 fuzz by Solidgoldfx. Sensational fuzz, has BC183 transistors (like the EJ) instead of the 108s. Works really well.

krz4fx

When too many really is TOO many...
Gold Supporting Member
Look into the If 6 Was 9 fuzz by Solidgoldfx. Sensational fuzz, has BC183 transistors (like the EJ) instead of the 108s. Works really well.
+1 for the If 6 was 9: awesome pedal and very flexible for a FF!!! Great tones to be had with it!!!

Fifthstone

The Dunlop Hendrix Fuzz Face is a great silicon fuzz. Fairly warm but still cuts. I love it. The EJ is also great, but does not clean up quite as well as the JH.

skunx

Silver Supporting Member
Hartman bc108 was only $85 at musicians friend last week. What a killer deal.

Hulakatt

Has done terrible things for a klondike bar
Gold Supporting Member
Hartman bc108 was only $85 at musicians friend last week. What a killer deal.
I just got one for $80 used. Still a screaming bargain and one of the best fuzz faces I've ever played! Everything about it just sounds right. I think I like it more than any Ge fuzz I've played :hide

dotlikeimpact

What EL84? I have never been able to get a sound I like with a fuzz face and a Vox type amp. :dunno
It's a Peavey Classic 30. Not voiced particularly Voxy; it's more Fender with mids, kinda.

Thanks to you all. Lots of good choices here. Time to dive into soundclips, methinks!

Trending Topics