Good Vocal Mic For Under $200???

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by guitarshaman, Sep 23, 2008.

1. guitarshaman

guitarshaman Supporting Member

Does one exsist? I'm doing an acoustic type solo album that will consist of some live stuff and some full tracking sessions. I'm not looking for Top 40 radio quality here or anything, just a good condenser that will make my vocals sound good for around $200. Any input is appriciated!

2. rob2001

rob2001 Member

The budget condensers i've tried seem to have a wierd sheen in the upper mids. Cool on some sources but for my voice, not so great. But that can be fixed with some EQ. That said, I picked up an MXL V67G, ($100.00) and it's pretty good. It doesn't seem to have that spike in the upper mids. Unfortunately, no gear can seem to fix the most important part of my vocal chain...... my singing!!

3. JohnSS

JohnSS Member

Try out a Studio Projects B1 or C1. Excellent bang for the buck; the B1, which own, sounds very similar to the Neumann U87.

4. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

Maybe try to find a used SM7? It isn't a condensor and it'll probably be a bit more than $200, but it is a great mic.

Bryan

5. guitarshaman

guitarshaman Supporting Member

Cool. I've heard about these, might give them a try. Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

6. KillerV

KillerV Member

I've got a Studio Projects C1 (MkII) that gets used a lot in my studio. I don't know if you'll get one under $200, but I can tell you that it's a great mic, and not just for the price.

7. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

8. jcground

jcground Member

In that price range, I'd end up with a dynamic mic, probably an SM-58 or a Beta-58.

Have you considered renting? You might be able to score a really nice condenser or a mic pre that will get you great tone on loan. I know people who have recorded budget projects who've had great success going that route, but you have to be near a place that has what you need.

9. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

studio projects C1.about 230.worth the money.

10. Greggy

Greggy Member

The Antipodes To All That is Sacred and Pure
    I own the Studio Projects C3, the multi-pattern version of the C1. Very bright in the high end. Crisp is more like it. May work for some voices, though. About the only use I have for it is in figure of 8 paired with a Neuman KM184 when recording my acoustic in M/S. Works very well for this application. Otherwise, I'd look for a less hyped condenser.