• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

good ways to re-amp your amp?

bolero

well, after looking thru the firestorm that is the UA thread, I'm wondering what are the best ways to reamp your amp?

for example, I have here a H&K redbox, which is a little battery powered box designed to go between your amp & speaker, with a line out.

could I plug my 100w amp into a big resistor ( or weber MASS type device ) to carry the load for the OT but be silent....crank it, and run the line-out from the redbox into a power amp?

aside from cranking the amp, can this give me any flyback voltage the amp wouldn't normally see if it was plugged into an impedence matched cab/speaker?

thx!

*edited for spelling...I have one of those thinline MAC keyboards and it's real easy to make typos!!

Last edited:

donnyjaguar

How about putting an appropriately sized power resistor on the amplifier and then placing a potentiometer, say 50kΩ across it and then adjust for suitable level? I have no idea what it would sound like because you don't have the action of the speaker motor on it, but it should be safe.

jay42

I think you'll feel like you squashed all the tone out of it by doing this. ymmv of course. If you're going to play around with it, start with a lower powered amp, or get some JJ 6V6s in it. I thought the Red Box was for recording. I don't know if they ever come up on ebay, but you should keep an eye out for a PS Systems 'Power Tool' in working order.

GP_Hawk

Are you refering to re-amping a track you already recorded? I'm a little confused so sorry if I'm off base with your question. But when tracking guitars, I usually will be mic'n 2 cabs and also use a di into a third track for re-amping later if needed. For re-amping I'll use the radial x-amp which has 2 output or you also have the reamp v2.0 which and Michael Wagner's re-amp box which does 4 outs I believe. Radial also has a multiple out re-amp box and so does little labs.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
The red Box is supposed to have some speaker simulating eq applied, so, it is a good thing to use as a DI.
I have tried the power resistor rig and been disappointed.
I have also had a Rocktron Juice Extractor, which is basically a power resistor followed by an adjustable eq section, also disappointing.
A THD Hotplate still wouldn't let me go from clean to scream due to a limited dynamic range that occurs as you attenuate.
None of these sounded as good as modern pedals for OD.
Save your amp, find a good pedal, imo.

Trending Topics