Goodbye Emerald. Hello, Axe-Fx.

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by aleclee, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

I didn't mean to diss java altogether (although it clearly seems I have with my emoticon :) I've just used way too many "apps" that work with runtime this, but not runtime that and trying to bob and weave to find the magic JRE that works with everything, all of the time. Not fun, I can't imagine how a lay person deals.
    The lightweight java editor (free) was very nice and worked, but the new one seems like it will be more stable (someday lol) and the interface is almost exactly what you get on the front panel of the unit (minus the hex bolts).
    Once the editor is working in lock step with the unit (and yes, OS + midi hardware + editor compatibility will ALWAYS be an issue -- just look at Presonus, Reaper, Sonar, etc... forums and you'll see everything doesn't always work with everything unfortunately) it's going to be a slick rig.
    The editor seems like it's actually the basis for a OS based standalone application as well (VST, directX maybe?). That will be incredible as well.

2. trisonic

trisonic Member

Very cool information. Many thanks.

Best, Pete.

3. gooma

gooma Member

Guys,

If using a Mac the Edirol UM-1 works flawlessly with the new Beta Editor.

cheers
    Brad

4. iaresee

iaresee Member

Thanks Brad! I'll be picking one up tonight.

5. rhp52

rhp52 Supporting Member

I'm waiting for them to add e-mail and a browser before i switch

6. gooma

gooma Member

Your welcome Ian,

The editor makes the whole thing so much easier to navigate and get some sounds dialed in IMO.

I couldnt get the M-Audio UNO to work with either the PC or Mac editor but this small edirol UM-1 works great:aok

7. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

I wasn't able to get my Midisport 2x2 to work under OSX or Windoze. :(

8. solo-act

solo-act Member

We can go over that thurs. I believe mine is working, but I edit with the front panel so fast now, I've gotten lazy.

9. iaresee

iaresee Member

gooma, aleclee: My local L&M was all out of Edirol interfaces but they had a Roland UM-1G -- same interface, different package from the look of things. I didn't have a chance to try it out last night. But tonight for sure.

Update: tried it last night and it worked with the Axe-Editor. Yeah!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  10. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Member

Hey, aleclee - I was the geek whom you so kindly let play your Emerald when you brought it to Greg's. Many thanks!! Except that I am now craving one.

Are you still pleased with the change?

11. aleclee

Thankfully, my Midisport works with the latest version of the beta editor (released today). One less thing to worry about but one more thing to mess with. ;)

Always fun to play show & tell. Still diggin' it, especially now that I have an easier way to manage & edit patches. Tomorrow I'll be checking out Greg's TC Helicon monitor. Might even get to A/B it against the highly touted FBT 8ma. :D

12. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Administrator ^/|\^ Co-Founder of TGP Staff Member

Threads like these make me laugh out loud and scream, "See! I'm NOT so crazy after all!!" and then cackle an evil laugh.

Well, not really, but you get my point. :D

Once you get past the learning curve and start zeroing in on what you want this box to do... it's a helluva lot of fun.

Not enough folks, IMHO, mention that. It's crazy-go-nuts fun.

Enjoy the journey Alec. Sincerely.

13. dk_ace

dk_ace Member

+1

I was one of the people afraid of "always having to tweak the thing," but I've hardly touched a parameter in months. This box is just a ton of fun to play with, and people seem to miss that a lot.

I have a killer AC30, Plexi, JCM 800, Extasy, matching cabs, and a custom pedalboard for each that travel with me to each and every gig. Oh, and it all fits in one 4 space rack. That's enough tonal fun and options to last a lifetime in just four patches. It took me a little while to dial those in to taste, but nowhere near as long as it would take to dial the real amps in, and a bigger payoff in the end.

The fun factor is often overlooked. I'm still on 7.0 because I'm having so much fun with my tones and don't really care to touch a dial right now. That said, I'll probably upgrade this weekend and have my mind blown again.

D

14. MusicGearGuys

MusicGearGuys Member

Hope you are enjoying her Alec.
    The Fractal was awesome! But I am more of a live original sound push air till my ears bleed, kinda guy.:dude Sorry did you say something?
    The good news is guys, that I told Alec that if he ever needs to use the Two Rock he could. So you see its the best of all worlds.:aok
    BTW, between the Two Rock and the Bludotone, I can achieve many different
    types of tones. Not as versatile as the Fractal, but it will do.
    Shoot now I need a new pedal board!:bitch

Gregory

15. PacoCasanovas

PacoCasanovas Member

+1000:dude

16. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

And here Im just about to order a Metro kit and you guys are making me want the Axe-FX.

So little funds...so much gas. I guess I could just buy the Axe-FX and use it and give up tube amps forever. Ha, nope dont think so.

17. gag halfrunt

gag halfrunt A fellow of infinite jest

The beauty of the Axe-FX is that you don't have to turn your back on tube amps. The Axe is just a tool that allows you to carry the high quality sounds of a houseful of tube amps in a single unit. For me, it's a great gigging option.

I did sell some of my amps when I bought the Axe, but I just bought another tube amp.

18. aleclee

What he said.

The choice to divest the Two Rock was strictly financial. I have no intention of dumping my Rivera, Peters, or Omega-modded Fender. If after a year or so I find that I'm not really using them, I might downsize further.

On the other hand, getting an Axe-Fx and associated gear (rack, foot controller, amplification) can represent a significant investment, much of which isn't particularly useful with a traditional rig. My QSC powered FRFR speaker rocks from living room volume to ear-bleeding SPLs but unless I wanted to add a wet-dry capability to my grab 'n go setup ;) it probably doesn't add that much value to my traditional rigs. I am recycling my Pod XTL as a foot controller, though.

19. gag halfrunt

gag halfrunt A fellow of infinite jest

It's interesting you mention the foot controller, Alec. That's been the one really head scratching part of my whole MIDI conversion. How can a simple metal box with switches (the All Access, for example) cost $1,000? For what you are getting, I consider my footcontroller (MidiMate, $180) to be the most expensive part of my Axe rig.

20. iaresee

iaresee Member

Alec, which QSC did you end up going with?