Goodbye Les Paul......Hello Hamer Triple Threat!!!!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ricoh, Dec 25, 2005.

1. ricoh

ricoh Member

Well now I've done it .....after having a LP for at least 30 years..........They are all gone ...............with the exceptin of my SG/LP which does not really count........ After getting a Hamer Triple Threat which is a custom studio model{Fat 1 piece mahogany neck... '''17 degree peg head pitch..... Braz RW finger board ........ tone pros bridge and stop TP.....Duncans SH-1's....NKL HDW...1/4 sawn flame maple top} I sold my LP which I had for 20 years. If you are looking for a outstanding guitar check out Hamers. Amazing playability right out of the box......if I did not put on a heavier gauge it was ready to go.......... build quality and the finish is superior and the sound and tone are awesome!!!!!

Rico

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Gary Ladd

Gary Ladd Member

I would, but I don't buy guitars with nickel/silver frets unless I can get em' so cheap that spending the $$$ to put stainless steel frets in em' would equal the cost new...

If Hamer got off their butt and switched over to stainless frets they'd probably get at least 25% of Gibson's market share, but I don't think they're that smart unfortunately.

:(

3. axpro

axpro Member

SS FRETS?!?!?!?!

Never really saw the appeal for these... sure they last a long time, but they eat the strings faster too... and i find they sound a little too bright...
    But thats just me!

4. kselbee

kselbee Member

Hamer is the business for sure. Haven't touched my LP since I got my Hamer Studio.

5. larryl

larryl Supporting Member

Hamer makes superior guitars in thier USA shop! Look at the factory tour on their website. Not many companies make guitars BY HAND anymore with the expertise they do - and in this price range. Buy one used, and you have a certifed bargain! Their playability is awesome and their sound is to die for. Blows most Gibsons, Epiphones, and PRS's away. Highest quality materials and craftsmanship. Don't like the pickups? Change them.

I can't believe they are not more popular. In the used market, they are a steal - Probably because they don't spend a lot on advertising and don't pay for celebrity endorsements.

If you are not a brand snob, and your music is your image, Do yourself a favor - try one! They look, sound and play great!

6. Karmateria

Karmateria Member

I've been wanting one of these for a while... they have a couple at Daves in WI. How about some pics?

Also, Hamer has offered SS frets for some time and also have the "gold" ones too. They've been doing this custom shop stuff since before most of the other builders were in diapers.

7. HHB

HHB Member

love to try one in person, the specs look nice and Hamer is building some fine guitars these days

8. Gary Ladd

Gary Ladd Member

Hmmm....I called them last year and they told me no, so I went with Anderson.

In fact, the custom shop said they won't do SS frets because it ruins their tools, a statement that told me they didn't know anything about SS frets at all...

Anyone ever seen a SS fretted Hamer :confused:

9. Karmateria

Karmateria Member

They had them at the NAMM show two years ago I believe. Who did you speak to at Hamer? I'd go to the source... You can just call right toHamer and speak to Jol Dantzig, not some rep.

10. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I seriously doubt that SS frets have ANY bearing on what Gibson (or Hamer -- or anyone else, for that matter...) does or doesn't sell.

11. mbratch

mbratch Member

$Hamer + $SS_Fret_retrofit < $Gibson

12. Gary Ladd

Gary Ladd Member

I can't tell you how many of my pro friends have told me the MAIN reason they recently purchased an Anderson or Suhr parts-caster was because they have stainless steel frets...

I think this is MORE of an issue than you imagine ;)

BTW, please tell me what major guitar maker offers stainless steel frets in the mainstream market?

That's right, there isn't - That my friend is what they call in Business 101 a "niche" in the market! :D

13. Gary Ladd

Gary Ladd Member

If I'm gonna spend $250+ for a GOOD SS refret, I'm sure the heck gonna do it to a guitar that's gonna hold that value ;)

Then again, if I could buy a 24.75" Gibson clone off the shelf (custom-shop stuff is WAY over-priced) that would be more what I'm looking for...

BTW, Gibson does offer a SS fret LP (although they don't advertise that fact) on the Supreme, and yes it's the only LP I currently own :dude

Of course it cost me through the nose, but the SS frets made it worth every $$$...

14. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Then I guess we will agree to disagree. ;)

15. Karmateria

Karmateria Member

Yeah, OK sure... every guitar maker except Anderson is going out of business because every pro guitarist is holding their breath until they get SS frets...

Now that we've got that settled can we see those pics of the Hamer?

16. TimH

TimH Member

Now THAT would be a good thing for the guitar world.

17. Legend

Legend Member

lol? I see that your experiences differ, but myself and just about anyone else that I know/have ever met, do not consider SS frets a "deal maker/breaker". I believe you and your friends are in the minority on that one, not the majority.

18. bailnout

bailnout Member

I'm not trying to stir anything up here so please don't take this the wrong way...

From my experience SS frets are WAY harder on files than nickle silver. What don't I know? Honest question... if you know something I don't, please clue me in. I alway like to learn a new trick.

As far as better or worse goes, like everything else, to each his own. Personally, I had the oportunity to have SS frets put on my J.Nunis Custom at no extra change and went with nickle silver anyway. I know a lot of guys are liking those things now but to my ears, they sound great at first but after a few hours of playing, my ears feel fatigued from the high end they produce. I know some guys that get killer tone out of there SS fret guitars so like I said, to each his own.

19. pirateflynn

pirateflynn Supporting Member

20. ricoh

ricoh Member

Lets not get too carried away with the SS fret thing!!!! Whatever floats your boat!!! I'll try and get some pics going after the New Year. I don't have a digital camera!!!! so ........................................

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rico