1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Goodrich Volume pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Nathan, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Nathan

Nathan Member

Hi there, I'm inthe market for a decent volume pedal. Having heard of Ernie Balls robbing tone, what can you guys tell me about the Goodrich ones? (passive, not the LDR2) What kind of pot is used? Where's the best price? Any dealers in Canada?
    thanks!

2. fyler

fyler Member

i don't know what kind of pot is used, but i know mine sounds great. i previously used a full sized ernie ball & the goodrich is far superior (less high end suckage & it actually goes completely silent in the heel position). i got mine off ebay for a very reasonable price.

3. muddy

muddy Member

it lives up to it's rep, nathan. it (the passive model) almost sounds like it improves your signal & tone! and the feel of the travel is exquisite. you'll never wanna go back to the usual "guitarmart" suspects, let me put it that way!

ml

4. dinrodef

dinrodef Guest

The passive goodrich is very good... You can use the second output and it doesn't effect your tone that I notice

For the most part it's pretty transparent... But you still get some pot noise.

It's still better to just use your guitar's volume know if possible

5. Souled Out

Souled Out Member

I like the LDR2. I think it enhances the tone at the end of the line. The throw is pretty tight and I haven't gotten around to see if I can adjust that. Also, not sure sure about normal and full freg settings, but I like it alot and seem to find a sweet spot after setting the amp and opening up guitar volume. I seem to like the fact that there are no pots, just lazer light.

6. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

Sorry for resurrecting a relatively dead thread but I don't wanna start yet another thread on volume pedals. I'm very interested in purchasing a Goodrich volume pedal right now. But from a lot of opinions I've seen after going through thread searches is that the pots in the passive ones (Model 120, and the low profile 120), don't last very long.

Can anyone with experience with the 120 pedals verify this?
    Also is there a tuner out for the 120?

Thanks guys!

7. mild

mild Member

I'll add one other question which I've been wondering about...

... do any of you LDR2 users run them off Pedal Power 2's, or Onespots, or anything?

8. echo unit

echo unit Member

Are the Goodrich volume pedals better than the best one that Boss makes? A lot of people seem to switch from the Ernie ball to the Boss up here in the north.

9. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

Lots of us with volume pedal questions. I use my volume knob constantly, but i suffer from a bit of carpal tunnel, especially in my right hand (Im a hardcore disc golfer as well) so spreading my fingers out wide to roll my knob doesn't always work for me.

I like to do manual tremolo type stuff with my volume knob, as well as fuzz and OD gain control right there at the guitar, and was wondering if there was a volume pedal with which I could succesfully do both of these in a similar fashion, with minimal tone loss? Essentially, Id like to use it similar to how some people use a wah, so id imagine itd have to be pretty sturdy and well put together. I don't know if it's possible or not.

10. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

I'm also wondering about this, how does the goodrich compare to the boss FV-500H and the FV-500L? Also does anyone know whether there's any tone loss involved if I'm using active electronics on my guitar through the Ernie Ball Vol Pedal Jr?

Thanks guys.

11. JBarlow

JBarlow Member

I have had two Ernie Ball volume pedals. I played a gig with a steel player (I use these for violin and guitar), and he let me demo his. I ordered one the next day. The clarity of the full frequency output, and the feel of the pedal (although VERY different) were incredible. Quality-wise, they are second to none that I've seen.

They're heavy, but solidly built, and I figure it will be the last thing on my pedalboard to have an issue. Goodrich claims that there is no tonal change from off to full on, and I have to say I pretty well agree.

That being said, I know a lot of people who like the "tone" of the Ernie Ball pedals. What you should do is find a dealer who will let you return the pedals, and try them out because they are night and day different.

The short of it is, if you're going to spring for one, get the LDR 2. If you're in the Pacific Northwest, you're welcome to stop by and try mine sometime.

12. gitman

gitman Member

i bought a LDR2 after having used a passive ( 120) Goodrich since 1983 .... the pedal never let me down and i only bought the active model because it bufferes my pedalboard which previously i didn't have. they are built to last and sound superior so what are you waiting for ? :)

13. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

14. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

For musictoyz to reply my 4 day old email ;)

15. duende

duende Member

Goodrich imo.... represents serious quality. The kind you expected from products from this country before it succumbed to planned obsolescence. As I've said before, my goodrich is the oldest pedal on my board. Many peds have come and gone, but the goodrich has always stayed. Been with me since 1987 now. During that time, I've have to replace the pot probably 2-3 times... But the feel/throw as well as it's passive transparancy kill all the competition imo.

16. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

I had an Ernie Ball for a long time. Sucked tone something awful. One of the most obvious tone sucks of any pedal I ever owned. Everything else was ok about the pedal. Seemed well built and all. But I sold it and got a Goodrich 120 off ebay for less than I paid for the EB if I remember right (big if) and have never needed anything else. I ride my guitar volume constantly, because I use a fuzz pedal and a Blackstone alot. Both those pedals clean up a lot with the guitar. So if I want swells (never could do that with a teles volume control), or even just a simple lower volume that doesn't affect the gain of those pedals, I have to place a volume pedal at or near the end of the chain. Guitar volume used to change gain, volume pedal for volume. Works great. BTW, big believer in reversing the planned obsolescence trend in America.

17. mild

mild Member

Can I be really annoying, and ask my question again?

I just scored an LDR2 - and its being sent over from America, with, what I guess will be an American power supply. (110V)

New Zealand runs at 240V. So either I will be playing round with step downs, ordering a new psu, or plugging it into my Pedal Power.

Does anyone know if the Pedal Power will power it? Thanks in advance...

18. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

I gave up waiting on musictoyz and got an Ernieball today, VPJR 25k. I'm using an active setup with a Musicman Luke running Emgs, it sounds pretty damn good. However I tried my same setup with my guitar which has regular passive pickups, total tone suck!

I can't tell any differences between my signal chain with or without the ernie ball, with my Emgs...YET!

But time will tell. ;)

19. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

i think it uses the same kind of 18 volt reverse polarity that the Diamond memory lane uses. If you go to the diamond site, you can see the special cable that that they sell to power their pedal with the pedal power.

20. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

If I used a volume pedal anymore I would get a Goodrich, supposed to be the best. Up until a few years ago I always used volume pedals. I had bought a couple used pedals for $15.00 each. They are made for keyboards and work great! Silent and even in operation with no bad effects at all. All plastic, blue and black.