goodsell 17 mk ii tone control

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by douglas225, Jan 30, 2012.

1. douglas225

douglas225 Member

i happen to have the mk ii with 2x10, no reverb or trem, but i am pretty sure most of the the 17s are pretty similar save some minor things like rectifier/no rect, etc. so i welcome feedback from anyone with a 17.

anyway, my question is about the tone control. from what i have read and experienced playing the amp, the tone control is different from an eq adjustment. rather than cutting or adding treble or bass, it seems to affect the overdrive characteristics of the preamp and/or powertube (honestly not sure if either or both). i remember reading somewhere that it only really works if the gain is 12:00 or greater, but i can not remember the specifics.

i have played around with it a lot and have found the sound i like out of it, but i am just curious to know how the tone control technically effects the circuit or at least what it is suppose to do to the output?

2. douglas225

douglas225 Member

no users with any detailed experience on this matter?

3. Jatmosphere

Jatmosphere Supporting Member

I've had my C33 since Sept and had a sweet S17 Mk II (old cab style) for 5 years before that. Both truly amazing amps. From what RG has said about it, the "tone control" is bass/darkest @ 7 o'clock to treble/brightest @ noon. After 12 it doesn't really get any brighter, but just adds midrange, girth & sustain. You should call or email RG for more specific details. Rock on.

4. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

RG will probably "chime" in here if he sees this post. He'll set you straight on what the tone control does. Better yet send him a PM, he's one of the most accessable amp makers on this forum.

5. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

Sorry for the redundant post, I hadn't read Jatmosphere's answer to your'e OP. I have an MkII/2X10/Verb, and I like what the tone control does for the gain.