Goodsell amps!!

rocnrik

Gold Supporting Member
Wow!! A custom 33 in da house..I LOVE THIS AMP!! This one has the full tone stack with reverb and trem. somehow Richard Goodsell makes el 84 amps that don't have the classic el 84 issues..this amp has big bottom end plenty of headroom and next to my 67 deluxe reverb and 66 super reverb it holds its own and truth is I actually like it better all around! I had a super 17 before and I liked it but the CUSTOM 33 is in my opinion the finest sounding amp i ever played through..plus it has the 17/33 watt switch. We are very fortunate that guys like Richard Goodsell,Roy Blankenship,Brian @ TOPHAT are making amps that we can enjoy ! any other GOODSELL amp users out there?

Martin82

I have owned three and currently own two - Valpreaux and Thunderball. Both beautiful sounding amps. And Richard G is a great guy. Also, he provides excellent service if anything on the amp goes wrong.

southy

Richard is the real deal. I bought a used Dominatrix 18 last year and sent the chassis to him for a check-up. He tweaked the reverb circuit, replaced the pilot light and input jack, and swapped a couple of cap values after we talked for over an hour about how I liked the amp. He refused to take my money for his labor and returned my PayPal "thank you" payment. Believe everything you hear about him - great guy who just wants every Goodsell owner to be happy.

fradubio

I've been loving my Valpreaux. Really fantastic range of tones, great cleans, and tremolo! Perfect for the small bars and clubs I'm playing in these days.

BadAssBill

Gold Supporting Member
I owned a S17 2x10 for years, amazing gigging amp. With a hollow body and a tele I could do anything.

scmavl

Enjoyer
Gold Supporting Member
Richard gives the best customer service in the business. Just a pleasure to deal with and makes great amps, too.

NewLeaf09

Richard is the real deal. I bought a used Dominatrix 18 last year and sent the chassis to him for a check-up. He tweaked the reverb circuit, replaced the pilot light and input jack, and swapped a couple of cap values after we talked for over an hour about how I liked the amp. He refused to take my money for his labor and returned my PayPal "thank you" payment. Believe everything you hear about him - great guy who just wants every Goodsell owner to be happy.
When you say he tweaked the reverb circuit, what did it do to the sound? I have a Valpreaux which sounds beautiful but have resigned myself to using a reverb pedal because the onboard reverb is so, uh, subtle.

scmavl

Enjoyer
Gold Supporting Member
When you say he tweaked the reverb circuit, what did it do to the sound? I have a Valpreaux which sounds beautiful but have resigned myself to using a reverb pedal because the onboard reverb is so, uh, subtle.
Richard changed the tank in a S17 I had previously. I've heard he has now changed the reverb circuit a bit for his newer amps. A different tank was a nice improvement on my old one though. I wanted a bigger verb as well.

rocnrik

Gold Supporting Member
His older reverb does sound more subtle than a big splashy fender ..but the great thing about Richard is he can tweak it to your preference..I am telling you guys For my money you can't purchase a better amp than a goodsell.

southy

Not sure exactly what he did to the circuit, but he told me "updated it to the latest specs". Not a night and day change but a noticeable improvement in depth of the effect...was barely on before, even with the reverb knob cranked. It will never be Fender reverb, but it was plenty for my purposes.

NewLeaf09

Not sure exactly what he did to the circuit, but he told me "updated it to the latest specs". Not a night and day change but a noticeable improvement in depth of the effect...was barely on before, even with the reverb knob cranked. It will never be Fender reverb, but it was plenty for my purposes.
Thanks, "barely on" pretty well describes what I have now.

pete12string

Silver Supporting Member
I had a Goodsell Dominatrix. I regret selling. Great sounding amp - great master volume. Very full sounding, even at low volumes. I really loved it with my Telecaster and Crowther Hotcake. Miss that amp.

Guitardave

I've had a Custom 33 and a Valpreaux - both top notch amps!! His tremolo circuits are the best of any amp I recall owning!

playthecray

Silver Supporting Member
Always wanted to try a Super 33. I have had my Goodsell S17 head since 2010. Three knobs and there is not a bad sound in the amp. I agree, Richard is great.

Snottyboy

I've got S17 head sn#146 (an early one) and spent about 5 hours with it last night. Ran it into a 2x12 with a Greenback and Weber ceramic Blue Dog. Had to post today because I couldn't stop playing it. Now I've had this amp for a few years, and know what it's capable of, but I do have other amps and only so much time, so the S17 doesn't get the attention it deserves. Well, this amp let me hear about that yesterday! No, the S17 isn't exactly Fender, Marshall, or Vox. But with just those 3 knobs, I can pull satisfying approximations of each depending on how I set them. I pushed it with combinations of a Tim, Skreddy Lunar Module (set for overdrive) and Mad Prof SHOD. Played my SG Standard and a Strat. Can't begin to list all the great tones I coaxed, but man what fun. That's all. I just had to put it out here. Hope all you S17 folks are having similar experiences.

Trending Topics