Goodsell Champton Questions

bandintheclouds

Silver Supporting Member
I'm interested in one of these Goodsell 5 watt "Champtons" to use as a grab and go amp for rehearsals and recording. I'd like to hear from anyone who's used one with a band. Could it keep up with a drummer in a small rehearsal room? I like slight breakup tones, so it doesn't need to stay 100% clean. I'm usually playing song oriented rock and roll with a well controlled band. But still, it's a rock and roll band.

Also, how does it take pedals? I like to use a Tim as a foundation tone sculptor and use a few modulation pedals with light delay for space.

mattpas

Gold Supporting Member
I'm interested in one of these Goodsell 5 watt "Champtons" to use as a grab and go amp for rehearsals and recording. I'd like to hear from anyone who's used one with a band. Could it keep up with a drummer in a small rehearsal room? I like slight breakup tones, so it doesn't need to stay 100% clean. I'm usually playing song oriented rock and roll with a well controlled band. But still, it's a rock and roll band.

Also, how does it take pedals? I like to use a Tim as a foundation tone sculptor and use a few modulation pedals with light delay for space.
Very mid-rangey OD pedals sound OK with it, other than that it will take pedals well, especially fuzz.

It is pretty loud for 5 watts. If you have it up off the floor and the drummer doesn't kill the drums, you should be OK.
If you can mike it that would be better.

mattpas

Gold Supporting Member
I think it has a really nice balance from low to high. The tone control works very well.
With a Strat I had the tone control around 11 o'clock and that gave me a really nice, deep, full tone.

LordByron

The Dude abides!
Just got one this past week. It's a great little amp. While loud-ish for a 5W (the 10" speaker really helps not only kick up the volume a bit but take away some the boxiness that Champs sometimes exhibit), even off the floor it's may struggle a bit to keep up in band setting, unless your drummer keeps things fairly restrained.

I think its takes most pedals well, especially my Camel Toe clone (Green Rhino/TS>Red Llama).

The base design is a touch dark for my taste, but Richard stuck in a bright cap for me (it was his suggestion, as he prefers it that way, even though it is a deviation from the classic Champ circuit). With the bright cap in the circuit, it really opens up the sound quite a bit (giving it a somewhat more Tweed Deluxe tonal palate). It think it's a killer little amp.

For band practice, I am planning on getting an ABY box and running it in tandem with my Tweed Pro Jr. I think together the two will make a killer combo for band practice and small gigs.

I would also recommend calling and talking to Richard. He's a super nice guy and very willing to talk about what you are looking for and how to best get there.

In the end, you are not going to go wrong with his amps. He make great stuff! :)

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
I have a first run. I find it to be on the bright side.
I run it about 1/3 up for big tone and just a touch of breakup and then use a Rat for gain. Plenty loud for a small practice room or lively space. I also love it with a sm57 for gigs.

bandintheclouds

Silver Supporting Member
Nice! Great feedback. I may just give Richard a call. I owned a Super Seventeen for a while. It was an excellent amp. At the time I needed something a little higher powered and ended up trading. A tweed champ/princeton with a 10" sounds about perfect for low volume gigs, rehearsal, etc.

Trending Topics