Goodsell Custom 33 Or Danelectro F series 217 2x15?!

Kalidescoper

Hi everyone, I have an opportunity to buy a goodsell mark iv custom 33 head 33 watts, or a mid sixties danelectro 2x15 f series 60 watts. I will be playing mainly bars and clubs, outside gigs here and there studio work, and a few larger 500+ people venues as well around new years. For playing country to rock, blues... Who's got an opinion on sound quality/build quality alone between the two. I am going to play both this weekend, but would love to read the opinions and general knowledge from those on the gear page!
Thank you.
Cheers.

jiml

Gold Supporting Member
I rode my Goodsell Custom 33 for many years, have it listed now. It's tough to describe what it is, because it really isn't anything specific, but can do so much.

It's great with pedals, just injests anything you plug into it and amplifies. I ran MIAB pedals to get Plexi tones, Treble boosters to get Voxy. Crank up the master to get great "on the edge" tones that could get really gritty with a boost pedal.

It has a feel similar to a Tweed, or Blackface, or JTM.

Always quiet, and reliable, so simple to operate.

Cant say enough good things about it! Richard is also a great guy, who stands behind his products.

Dont know much about the Danelectro you mentioned, but 2×15 combo might weigh a metric ton.

SlideGuy123

I’m a Super 17 mk3 owner and couldn’t be happier. Everything jiml said, I second. It has its own sound but is really versatile, and the simpler controls make it easy to find tones. And if my 17 is more than loud enough for bars, the 33 should cover you just fine. Plus Richard’s a great guy who knows his stuff.

Greentone

I don't know what Danelectro amp that is specifically, but the Twin Twelves my friends have owned have been more trouble than they are worth.

stephenT

Goodsell man! the 33 is a great stage amp. I use half of that every week w/ my Goodsell MkIV Super 17.

Torry Courte

Silver Supporting Member
Haven’t played the Danelectro, but really like the Custom 33. Great sounding amp that does its own thing.

Snottyboy

Piling on what @jiml and @SlideGuy123 have already said. Original version S17 head here. I can get in the ballpark of BF, JTM, Vox, Tweed depending on cab/speaker configs and which dirt pedal I might want to use. The S17 is none of them, of course. The 33 is just "more" 17, if I understand correctly, but can be utilized at half-power? I see the S17 as a modern classic that feels like it dates back about 50 years. A little surprised they aren't a bit more hyped given how some other classic builds are regarded.

jnovac1

Silver Supporting Member
Hi everyone, I have an opportunity to buy a goodsell mark iv custom 33 head 33 watts, or a mid sixties danelectro 2x15 f series 60 watts. I will be playing mainly bars and clubs, outside gigs here and there studio work, and a few larger 500+ people venues as well around new years. For playing country to rock, blues... Who's got an opinion on sound quality/build quality alone between the two. I am going to play both this weekend, but would love to read the opinions and general knowledge from those on the gear page!
Thank you.
Cheers.
grab the goodsell and don’t look back. lifetime amp.

Kalidescoper

You guys are awesome! Thank you for your responses. I got the goodsell! I agree with all of you, the goodsell is amazing and will cover all bases while the danelectro had more of a venus in furs kinda sound no matter how you set it. Great amp though, but that goodsell man. That's where it's at. Happy Holidays thank you all. Can't wait to get it on stage.

Trending Topics