Goodsell -- Naked

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GreenTea, Mar 10, 2008.

1. GreenTea

GreenTea Member

Had a pickup gig this weekend. She wore nothing. No pedals. Zip. Naught. Zilch. Nada. No real reason... just thought I'd take a risk. Did a speaker swap a week or so ago; removed the scumback and installed a well abused celestion blue. Touch sensitivity, grind, tone... all good things were there in abundance. Had to mike the amp (standard 57) because of the size of the place but still it was delish. Pure metal and wood. Really (to my ears) sounded and responded great. We're a little three piece (bass, drums and me on guitar). Used my 58 lester with WCRs. Vol controls were all that was required. There were a few moments that I wanted to stomp on a box simply because I'm used to dancing with an OD but chose to go straight into the amp. I know some of you might smirk at my narrow-minded behavior (i.e. using no pedals) and it did feel a little risky so thought I'd post what turned into a thrill... a treat! What a ride. The best tune that nearly dropped my jaw married the paper of the speaker, the wood and strings of the guitar, my fingers, vol knob and p/u switches was in memory of elizabeth reed. Damn fun gig. Anyway, if interested in a goodsell, take a look at her with no clothes on... she's a beaut!

2. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

Yum...glad you had a chance to do it. I'd love to hear clips of that Blue if you can get em. I have a 2x10 so I don't think they may 10" speakers, but I'd love to hear them.
    Congrats!

3. Telecaster62

Telecaster62 Member

You sir are a guitar player, congratulations. Grip it and rip it!!!

4. stephenT

stephenT Silver Supporting Member

I've been running my Goodsell(s) naked as well.

I've done the last two weeks on my new Goodsell, the Super 5/17 Limited Edition w/ a 1x12 Goodsell alnico Blue (yup, Richard's got his own line of speakers now) in a deluxe style pine cabinet, what a lovely amp, didn't even need to mic it at a medium sized club (Northside).

5. GreenTea

GreenTea Member

I'll bet Goodsell's American line of choice speakers will sound good. Love to hear one of those.

First time in a show I've run mine without a pedal. Felt a bit uncertain at some points... right at the parts I'd normally kick on an OD... where I know I NEEDED my drive... but at those points I'd just dig in to the strings a little more. Never achieved of course what I'd get from a pedal; but, I did NAIL this very unique realm of feel (you know the point where 1. all eyes in the room are staring but they're really NOT 2. you just know you need the extra boost in volume and drive to emphasize a part 3. and all of the other glorious colorations happening when you kick on a pedal) all without a pedal. Maybe I really didn't even need to start a thread but there was this reedy/papery/tubey sound thing happening that it really was worth sharing. I guess just as much as the sound was the experience of the amp/speaker/guitar sans pedals. Frightening. Thrilling. Man, what a real nice ride.

6. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

I do this quite often with my G-17 2X10. It's fun! I only miss a delay sometimes. I use an Affinity Tele/Lollar 52's, and my Reverend MantaRay 290/P90's, and ride the guitar volume. I fiddle with the gain and vol. on the Goodsell to flavor to taste. This amp is quite a tone machine.