Goodsell S17 6v6 model: what's the deal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GibsonLives, May 14, 2015.

1. GibsonLives

GibsonLives Supporting Member

Title says it all. I have and love the el84 version of the S17 mkiv, but this new offering definitely has my attention. Haven't seen any clips or reviews. I realize it's very new, but who's got one? Thoughts? Anyone able to compare it to the el84 incarnation? Thanks.
    Steve

2. playthecray

playthecray Member

I am curious as well, although my Goodsell S17 3-knob head is nearly perfect for me. I don't find the amp overly bright or lacking any low end with the single tone control running EL-84s.

3. Kitten Cannon

Kitten Cannon Member

Wow. Interesting. I have LONG since moved away from playing Goodsells, but I remember thinking way back when that if the S17 hadn't used those stupid EL84s I might have liked it better. When you play it clean it can fool you into thinking it's not using 84s, but once it starts to grind, I get beaten over the head with everything I never liked about EL84s.

4. GibsonLives

I dig el84 tubes, but I also recently picked up a 6v6 amp (Boogie DC3). Very different amp, obviously, but I really dig the smooth feel of 6v6 circuits, and I am extremely curious as to how they sound in a Goodsell. Ah well, maybe someday there will be clips...or ideally, a head-to-head comparison video between the two models.

Steve

5. HeyMrTeleMan

HeyMrTeleMan Colonel of Truth Gold Supporting Member

I don't think this is the first offering by Richard with 6v6's. I seem to recall a small box (10" speaker or maybe it was a 12") but it had two 6v6's in a really small cab several years ago. No? Richard! Help me out!

My street cred is on the line here...

:cool:

6. Al Rose

Al Rose Silver Supporting Member

Hum.....A DC3 has 4 EL84s. To my knowledge, Mesa has never released a production 6V6 amp. I could be wrong......Mesa guys???

Al

7. stephenT

stephenT Silver Supporting Member

The model is call a Goodsell V6 MkIV, I've got one w/ a WGS Black and Blue 12. Sweet would be my description.

There's a demo of a custom V6 (w/ 4 6V6s) w/ Richard talking about the build.

8. Snottyboy

Snottyboy Member

^^^^^ That sounds fantastic!

9. MajorDude

MajorDude Member

My DC3 has 4 EL 84s...

10. jjboogie

jjboogie Member

Stupid EL-84's? :mob

11. DanSimon

DanSimon Member

6v6s are definitely better in my book vs. EL84 but i can imagine certain peple want specific retro type tones where they derive from the EL84.

12. GibsonLives

For some reason it didn't post earlier (crappy new phone), but thanks for the correction. El84 tubes in my Boogie. I was wrong, and i'm wiser now, thanks :).
    Steve

13. Al Rose

Al Rose Silver Supporting Member

No worries. Just didn't want you to think you had something when you really didn't. I do like 6V6 tubes as well, and have already discussed with Richard about a 12 watt 6V6 build. Might pull the trigger later this year.

Al

14. GibsonLives

I honestly don't really have the space for anymore amps, though if I were to come across a used Goodsell at the right price (or a Juke for that matter), it might be tough to walk away. Meantime, i'll satisfy myself with a new OD pedal to put in front of the Goodsell I already have :).

Steve

15. stephenT

stephenT Silver Supporting Member

I have both a Goodsell 6V6 and a Super 17 with the MkIV preamp so they are fairly recent. The EL 84s certainly cut better in a stage mix, thicker sounds, IMO for a gigging amp they are hard to beat. But I love sitting around the house playing the 6V6 amp, the detail is magical.

16. Kitten Cannon

Kitten Cannon Member

Yes, stupid EL84s! I hate them!

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to pick up my gear to go play a gig. Using the Jackson Ampworks NewCastle 30 tonight.

(wait sec, what???)

(I don't know how they pulled it off - an EL84 amp I like!)

17. GibsonLives

Thanks, Stephent, for the rare insight.

Steve

18. jjboogie

jjboogie Member

LOL!!!! Hilarious! :beer

19. RichardGoodsell

RichardGoodsell Member

I made maybe ten 6V6 amps early in my career; never felt as comfortable with them as I did the EL84s, but now ten years and 1400 amps later I can see the need for alternative offerings. But beside those early ones, there weren't any 2x 6V6 until the MkIV - you might be thinking about the 5F1/5F2A hybrids (which I've just started building again) but they were single-ended and made about 5 or 6 watts. I built an occasional by-the-book 5E3 clone, but the MkIV is the first "regular" 6V6 amp. The basic one is exactly like the Super 17 with the only difference being the power tubes. Cathode-biased 6V6s will give Tweed Deluxe or BF Princeton-like power, so not much more than 12 watts. There have been a few 4x 6V6 heads and combos, and there's a pretty good You Tube video of that version featuring Scott Clayton and myself if you want to search it.

Jatmosphere likes this.
  20. la noise

la noise Supporting Member

I have had a MKII S17, a MKII Custom 33, and just picked up
    a used Thunderbolt. I am running 6V6s in the Thunderbolt and
    :love: ing it!!!!

:drool

Jatmosphere likes this.